Qasim

PDC noise on door opening

So I have a bit of weird issue, one of my PDC sensors which I have recently changed starts beeping whenever a door is opened or closed. After a few seconds of it being opened or closed it stops. 

Using the diagnostics it shows as the rear centre left, which I have just changed, it had the same issue before as well.

Any ideas, seems to be some sort of interference, but only with that one sensor.

Video link 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fKFXh6gVss1X4jQX7

Thanks

Edited by Qasim

That's a funny one. Does it happen with just turning interior lights on and off? Try to inspect wiring, maybe some damage somewhere, but still strange that it's triggered by door opening.

The rear PDC wiring loom is totally isolated from the other wiring so it’s not an issue with the physical sensor wiring.  I’d say it’s the PDC unit itself or the K-Bus or the GM module. I’d start with the PDC module as it’s easy to access in the boot and cheap to replace. 

So I tried it with the interior lights and that did not affect it, it does go off when pulling away as well, not on revving the engine. I'll try the PDC module as they are a few E39s in the scrappers around me and I'll try and borrow one.:D

I'll let you guys know what I find.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me @Qasim. I plugged in INPA to see which sensor was going off and it was the rear middle left one too. I replaced it with a £25 one off ebay already colour coded and has been sorted since. So perhaps the replacement was also faulty? I'd swap it with one of the other known working sensors on the car & see if the fault moves.

I've got another new sensor for the middle, I can replace it and see what happens. It's justs finding the time to get the bumper off.

Thanks

Hi, can you please let us know how you have resolved the issue - I have the same problem, but only if the cabin light is on...just turning the cabin light on or/off does not trigger the sensors (always rear) - it has to involve opening/closing the door. 

Thanks

P.S. You can replace PDC sensors without taking the bumper off - just pull the trim off - start with the middle section either side.

Hi I have resolved it yet :lol:. Life gets in the way. My PDC has been screaming at me for about 6 months haha. I have a saloon, I think you might be taking about the touring that doesn't need the bumper removing. As far as I know there's no way of getting to the saloon middle PDC without removing the bumper

I have a sport, the middle two are fixed on the bumper so there's no trim. The side ones are easy to get to but the middle two require bumper removal.

Edited by Qasim

I think check PDC unit connections. Maybe unplugging the plug and putting it back on might sort it out. The other thing is to find out which sensor using diagnostics or inpa. Maybe even change the sensor.

Let me know if you find a fix, I really haven't got around to doing much to my car and even then the things they I have done need fixing. My new wheel bearings are causing abs issues so I need to change them again. :mellow:

So I got a code for the right rear PDC Sensor and switched that out for a new one. It was working but then stopped and it's showing the code again so I'm guessing it's a wiring issue. I'll have to take the bumper off and check the wires. On my vogue that had the same setup as my E39, I did find a corroded wire and after soldering a wire in between it was back to normal.

So the bumper shall come off a some point