qprdude

Headlamp washers.

Would I be right in saying that all F10 models have the bumper cut outs for washers but not all have washers?  How do I check? Last car had washers that came out on long stalks when the headlights were on and the windscreen was washed.  If driving, you could see the water billowing over the car. Can't say I've actually used the washers with the headlights on so any info would be great.

1 minute ago, qprdude said:

Would I be right in saying that all F10 models have the bumper cut outs for washers but not all have washers?  How do I check? Last car had washers that came out on long stalks when the headlights were on and the windscreen was washed.  If driving, you could see the water billowing over the car. Can't say I've actually used the washers with the headlights on so any info would be great.

If you have Xenon headlights you'll have headlight washers. Put your VIN into MDECODER and see if you have option S502 - Headlight Cleaning to be sure.

They activate if the headlights are on and you activate the windscreen washer.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

If you have Xenon headlights you'll have headlight washers. Put your VIN into MDECODER and see if you have option S502 - Headlight Cleaning to be sure.

They activate if the headlights are on and you activate the windscreen washer.

No Xenons I'm afraid.

DoH! How stupid have you got to be? Put Headlights on, wash windscreen then check to see if lights are wet!

It's an age thing.

After suffering lockdown and getting bored, I started to browse Autotrader  to see if an upgrade was affordable.  Lots of 5 series seem to have no lumbar support seats and small screen sat nav.   Am I imagining it or do some have no separate front fog lamps either?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I've only just started looking and I'm not very familiar with what were options and what is standard. 

The headlight washers only operate every few goes on the windscreen washers. I think there's some sort of time limit on them too. That said when they do go, you know about it and if you haven't seen that, maybe you don't have them. 

10 hours ago, qprdude said:

DoH! How stupid have you got to be? Put Headlights on, wash windscreen then check to see if lights are wet!

It's an age thing.

After suffering lockdown and getting bored, I started to browse Autotrader  to see if an upgrade was affordable.  Lots of 5 series seem to have no lumbar support seats and small screen sat nav.   Am I imagining it or do some have no separate front fog lamps either?

Sorry about the stupid questions but I've only just started looking and I'm not very familiar with what were options and what is standard. 

Pre LCI all had foglamps. Post LCI the base model SE was not equipped with with foglamps as standard but they were available as an optional extra. All other F10/11s had Foglamps as standard.

Lumbar support always an optional extra unless the car was specified with the Comfort Seats

Pre LCI the pro Nav (wide screen) was an option across the range with the small screen standard across the range - with or without SatNav depending on the age of the car. Post LCI, small screen SatNav was standard across the range with ProNav an option except for the "Luxury" specification that had ProNav as standard. 

I'll have another few checks.  with the washers with headlights on but I'm pretty sure they're not fitted. Surprised about the fog lights though. My missus had a little Skoda citigo and they have Gogs as standard. I have electric lumbar support on both front seats. Interestingly, I also have an electric rear blind! Nothing else out of the ordinary though. No stop/ start, no comfort/ sport suspension. I quite fancy the head up display. Had it on my DS 5 and really liked it. Not sure if I have any ambient lighting, must have a look.

30 minutes ago, qprdude said:

I'll have another few checks.  with the washers with headlights on but I'm pretty sure they're not fitted. Surprised about the fog lights though. My missus had a little Skoda citigo and they have Gogs as standard. I have electric lumbar support on both front seats. Interestingly, I also have an electric rear blind! Nothing else out of the ordinary though. No stop/ start, no comfort/ sport suspension. I quite fancy the head up display. Had it on my DS 5 and really liked it. Not sure if I have any ambient lighting, must have a look.

Do a VIN decode on MDECODER.COM which will give you the definitive list of options your car came with. As I said, Foglights were removed from just the base SE model at LCI.

I think I did that with the decoder last year but I can't remember what I checked at the time. I'll give it another go.

Had another go at the Decoder.

According to the list, I have daytime running lights, which I have activated in the "lighting" section, but there are no daytime running lights? 

I also have ambient lighting code activated in the "light" menu, but it doesn't exist in the lights menu, Just daytime running lights (not working. "Home" lights (not working) 

I have welcome lights and they work, if that is the lights in the door handles and interior.

Just spent half an hour in the car looking through various menu's.

The last owner has left some interesting stuff on the HD, apart from a dubious taste in music. Contact names and details of several people, some on speed dial on the numbers on the radio control preselects!

1 hour ago, qprdude said:

Had another go at the Decoder.

According to the list, I have daytime running lights, which I have activated in the "lighting" section, but there are no daytime running lights? 

Daytime running lights refer to the Halo lights around the headlights

I also have ambient lighting code activated in the "light" menu, but it doesn't exist in the lights menu, Just daytime running lights (not working. "Home" lights (not working) 

Ambient lighting is the mood lighting inside the car - on the 520d this was an option and all other cars it was standard fit.

I have welcome lights and they work, if that is the lights in the door handles and interior.

Welcome lights are the lights in the handles and the ones that shine from the bottom of the doors when you open them so you can see the puddle you are about to step into

Good stuff.

Wonder why the codes for my car in the Decoder show daytime running lights and ambient lighting when the are not available. The daytime running lights are ticked in the lighting menu but dont work on any of the light switch settings and the ambient lighting doesn't appear on the menu at all.

The only time the halo's come on alone are in the "sidelight" setting on the switch.

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Ambient lighting is the mood lighting inside the car - on the 520d this was an option and all other cars it was standard fit.

Easiest way to know if you’ve got this on a 520d are the “chrome” strips on the outside door handles.

I specified it on my LCI SE, plus Fog lights and extended AC (another thing not included with the 520d).

Yes, I know about the ambient lightening  but it's shown on the Vin Decoder list but it doesn't show in the "Lighting" menu in the car. It just isn't there to enable.

2 hours ago, qprdude said:

Yes, I know about the ambient lightening  but it's shown on the Vin Decoder list but it doesn't show in the "Lighting" menu in the car. It just isn't there to enable.

And that's because it is already enabled! Just checked the car in the dark and the ambient lighting is along all four doors and in the door pockets. Nothing under the dash, which is probably why I haven't noticed it before! Menu says daytime running lights come on with switch on position ' A" bit mine seem to be dipped lights on "A".

1 minute ago, qprdude said:

And that's because it is already enabled! Just checked the car in the dark and the ambient lighting is along all four doors and in the door pockets. Nothing under the dash, which is probably why I haven't noticed it before! Menu says daytime running lights come on with switch on position ' A" bit mine seem to be dipped lights on "A".

seeing as you have halogens, they act as daytime running lights. The halos are just sidelights. 

For the ambient lighting, adjust the scroll wheel to increase the lighting intensity for the instrument cluster and the ambient lighting intensity increases too.

Your car is performing as intended. 

cheers Matthew . Looks like the daytime running lights are just the same as dipped lights then. 

The halogens are (were) drls on my 2012 MSport 520d. Halos were sidelights as noted above.

I got myself the Bimmercode app and it let me choose what way the car set it's DRLs. So I have it set for halos as DRLs. They are not as bright as the xenon drl halos but I still like them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, eddier1558 said:

The halogens are (were) drls on my 2012 MSport 520d. Halos were sidelights as noted above.

I got myself the Bimmercode app and it let me choose what way the car set it's DRLs. So I have it set for halos as DRLs. They are not as bright as the xenon drl halos but I still like them.

Interesting. Is it expensive or hard to do? The halo's certainly look better as DRL's.  Plus I've just installed expensive bulbs in the halogen dip, and the less hours I use them, the longer they should last.

Wasn't hard to do. There are guide videos online for the app. The app was really easy to use. I think it was about £30 but I can't recall exactly. I think it's actually cheaper on iphone. It's available for both android and ios.

You need an OBD interface for the car as well. I have vgate WiFi one which works well but I understand they seem to be hit and miss at the cheaper end of the market. Think that added another £15 to the cost but it's been a while. I spent a few days rummaging around Google to find one I was reasonably happy to risk using.

I am sure there are more experienced guys on here that might be able to help on this.

I use the WiFi OBD interface with a code reader for the car as well, the guys on here are very helpful if you can find error codes for problems

Cheers eddier. All good information.