Johnjonjo

Manual transmission and differential oil change

Hi all

Has anyone done a manual transmission fluid change or differential fluid charge?

My car has done 105k now with no record of either fluid being changed. I have the N47 engine.

Many thanks 

i did a differential oil change, there was no drain plug so i had to use this sucking thing, purchased the diff oil from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UGKJCS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and purchased a new diff plug with washer for a couple of pounds from the dealer. Its only a litre in there anyway so this is good enough

Word of caution - used diff oil smells absolutely revolting, like raw eggs mixed with putrid sulphur and any clothes you get it on will smell for a while and if there is enough of it then it will stink out your washing machine...

Have a rock solid collection system, lots of cheap kitchen roll and old clothes ;) 

15 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

Do you have to remove any panels to do the two fluid changes

no Panels for the rear diff.  But to the Auto box i had to remove panels, Not realy heard of anyone doing manual gearbox oil change. The instructions must be on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

search for your specific car and find the how to guide that way

1 hour ago, Johnjonjo said:

Thanks sams255,

How mamy miles had your car done?

How did the old oil look?

the first time diff oil was changed was at 150k, i didn't see it as ZF did the whole service. at 180k i did the next one it seemed ok.