525-Jay

Round 2... This time with a 530i

38 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

The thing with this engine is the spark quality and timing is critical. coilpacks and plugs and plug wells need to be spotless. I handle mine with a clean lint free cloth. The oil filler is right above cyl 3, and oil can spill down causing no end of trouble. In rare cases the cam cover can crack by there too.  Hard to say in your case but spotless is key regardless of why there is oil/gunk present.

yeah indexes are all over the place, its clearly had work. I would see if the misfire moves first but be careful working on it as you could jeopardise right to reject.

index 02 could be original btw

If the misfire moves, then hopefully a new set of coil/sparks could do the trick? Obv pending a full diagnostic via a garage.

Yeah I don't plan to do any working on it until I get a garage to look at it and make a decision whether I want to keep/reject (will also depend on the dealer's response to covering the costs to fix which I doubt they'll want to if the bill is £400+).

Just trying to do some diagnostics to keep me sane, I can't stand just doing nothing and waiting in this situation because it's frustrating, makes my head rough idle :ph34r:

yes if the misfire moves it is likely you will get away with a set of plugs and coils. 

Id budget for a set of injectors at some stage given the mixed bag.

Nox you can replace with NOXEM which is slightly cheaper and supposedly better.

I replaced my nox with OEM recently. A working nox sensor or noxem really makes a difference to the engine - better mpg for sure, maybe a bit more poke.

Best n53 resource ever: https://bimmerprofs.com

Edited by bmwmike

Error is still with cylinder 3.

So now I'm just going to wait until Monday before I make a decision on what to do next. I hope it all turns out well though because I do love the spec of this car.

11 hours ago, bmwmike said:

A working nox sensor or noxem really makes a difference to the engine - better mpg for sure, maybe a bit more poke.

Yeah the Noxem is sounding good!

Edited by 525-Jay

So spoke to the mechanic, who said it is most likely the injector that needs changing and he said these should be changed in banks so Cyl1,2 and 3 injector needed. And the battery + IBS cable need changing. Will get a quote when I see him but it looks like an expensive job, will be interested to see how the dealer will take it.

Just a couple Qs:

- I do recall when searching this issue that injectors should be changed in banks so I'm not planning to challenge him on that, but what is the risk of just changing the 1 injector?

- Is the IBS necessary to change along with the battery?

IBS was a recall iirc

injector - ECU monitors o2 per bank iirc, so one injector could be leaking (causing rich condition) and the other two compensate. That apparently wears them out quicker. I cant see that myself, though i can see the theory that injector 1 might appear to be faulty (misfire) because it leans off too far because one of the other injectors is leaking but not causing a misfire. so misfire on #1 but actual fault on #3.

Ohh okay. 

That makes a lot of sense. In a worst case scenario where I sort the injectors, where would you say is the best place to buy injectors at reasonable prices? Is ECP a shout or should I be looking on ebay?

Fake injectors! Pay attention

£222 (inc VAT) GENUINE BMW N53 INDEX 11 FUEL INJECTOR Surrey UK.
Get all 3 or all 6 if you can swing it ;).

Was the 3 month warranty worth the paper?

Edit: 2 ebay options, might be genuine?

£198 N53 13537589048 #11 New Genuine Petrol Fuel Injector - ebay merlin-diesel Preston UK

£186 FUEL INJECTOR 13537589048 E61 E60 NEW - ebay strastonebmwchesterfield UK

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's and details