525-Jay

Round 2... This time with a 530i

Hey all,

So being from London and the headache that is ULEZ creeping around, I knew I needed to replace my LCI 525d M Sport. It's a shame because I was so attached to the car and the tasteful upgrades I did to it, plus it still pulls like a train at 146k miles. But needs must and I wasn't even looking for another E60 unless it was something that could blow me away in terms of spec/price/power. Then I found this. Sorry I haven't taken proper pictures yet. (not sure if I need a name change now!)

[There are some issues I need to sort out, I'll put them in a separate post below!]

BMW 530i M Sport Auto (LCI)

Edit: Removed pictures.. for now.

Edited by 525-Jay

So the drive is great, smooth, powerful though not very economical (then again I came from a diesel so will have to get used to 32-35mpg motorway). Some issues I noticed in the first day or 2:

1 - Low battery charge warning

- Awkward but when I bought and tried to drive off, it needed a jump start, the trader said that it had been sitting there in lockdown etc so battery may need some time. I drove 5-6 hours after that and I did still randomly get the warning but there are also other signs it could be weak (see below)

- Angel eyes not coming on when unlocking .This is strange because all of the settings are correct and looking at some threads in the past, it could be to do with the battery so watch this space..

- Couple of times the iDrive would "forget" some settings that I changed recently. Again, chalking it up to the battery trying to survive.

Currently got it on a trickle charger in my living room, so will have to check if the above issues are a thing of the past. If not, will order a new battery - this one was an Exide EB802, 80Ah 700a. Should I be looking for these specs or something more powerful?

2 - SOS fault, bluetooth not working, CD changer stuck

The SOS fault was there when I viewed but didn't think a lot about it because I don't use it - when driving home I noticed that the bluetooth wasn't working! I thought I'd been had. Was gutted, stupid of me for not checking.

But again, searching through the threads and found someone linking this to the CD changer cover and low and behold, my CD changer facing was broken off.

3 - No fog light as you can see in the picture or the bottom undertray at fog area in drivers side, will need to find out part number and order.

4 - Oil

After driving 60 miles from the trader, I got an oil notification to put in 1 litre. This annoying model doesn't have a dipstick so I can't even check! Anyways I put in 1 litre. Concerned if it is burning oil quick but heading 100+ miles home and a bit of driving here, I haven't had the error again.

5 - Temp in traffic rose to 105 via secret menu, on motorway it varied from 75-95. Is this normal?

What other things should I be looking out for with this car? It's been a while since I've had to maintain a petrol, let alone a BMW petrol so some helpful tips would go a long way!

Edited by 525-Jay

Congratulations, that's a pretty good spec and quite low mileage B):wub:. HiFi sound system must be a worthwhile step up.

3 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

1 - Low battery charge warning ... Exide EB802, 80Ah 700a

Battery is a newer cheaper replacement and might not be coded or registered correctly.

2 - SOS fault, bluetooth not working, CD changer stuck

I just live with the SOS bong error with ingnition on. Not sure about the rest on this issue.

3 - No fog light...

Wonder how it came loose? Maybe the last owner let things slip a little, plus some clumsey fecker broke the CD changer :-x. Would be a good sign if all the tyres are a good brand and in fair condition.

4 - Oil  I got an oil notification to put in 1 litre...

Expect anything from 1k to 6k miles per litre top up, depending on the state of the oil, how the engine/rings where originally broke in, the CCV breather functioning and the oil indicator reliability (can be interigated with ISTA-D software).

5 - Temp in traffic rose to 105 via secret menu, on motorway it varied from 75-95. Is this normal?

Yes the N53 motor runs hot to allow different ingnition burn strategies and has an electronic water pump under DME manangement. Via a 3rd party Head Up Display gimmick I monitored 95 to 105 degC on the motorway cruising around ~70mph.

42mpg on a steady run is possible if the NOX sensor and electronics will allow the eco stratified burn mode operation under lower load conditions. Otherwise normally ~35mpg which is much kinder to injectors and spark plugs.

As long as the motor idles fine and cold starts without rough lumpy running then you should be ok. Although petrol is slightly cheaper, you'll find that paranoia will have you using premium V-power, costing more but might help injector lifespan.

Any history and receipts for work done? Get a detailed code scan soon though ;).

Look forward to seeing some more pics and some i6 related threads but then again, that'll mean you'll be having problems, so maybe not.

Edited by DarkHorse

On 29/06/2020 at 14:42, DarkHorse said:

Congratulations, that's a pretty good spec and quite low mileage B):wub:. HiFi sound system must be a worthwhile step up.

Thanks! It's actually the DSP system which I'm told online is the Logic7. This is backed up by the nice "Logic7" sign when I go into surround settings. It is night/day compared to the bog standard one I had on my 525.

I just live with the SOS bong error

I would just live with it but the Bluetooth isn't working at the same time and  I'm not entirely sure what the next step would be to fix this. I think I'll create a new thread for this and see if heads can bash together.

As long as the motor idles fine and cold starts without rough lumpy runnin

This is something now that you reminded me! I haven't had "cold" cold weather yet but when I do start the car after a while, it is quite rough on idle with revs dipping down and back up again. Not a nice feeling at all! Initially thought it might be the battery but I've fully charged it and it seems to be running fine. So I'm not exactly sure what the issue could be, sparks? Coil pack?

There are loads of receipts, it seems that the previous owner just went to one garage every year who did the service and MOT and topped up windscreen washer every year :lol: so I believe it has been maintained albeit I see nothing since last August so it's definitely due some TLC..

Edited by 525-Jay

Sounds like a misfire. n53 should start instantly and cleanly and settle into a regular idle. I would be taking the top cover off and checking injector index number - should be index 11. Google for how to check. A known weakspot. Also read codes. Time is of the essence because with a bit of luck perhaps you can get the supplying dealer to stump up for new injectors and possibly coilpacks under warranty.  

I have a new battery for this im willing to let go for half price £100. Near guildford.

Agreed, you may have identified a good candidate for the reason of sale. More diagnosis required to fully confirm this common issue. Worn injectors can leak down fuel into one or more cylinders (over night) and cause a missfire at cold startup, which will often clear up once all the fuel has been blown out. Probably not good for exhaust down stream cats and NOX sensor/capture system if left too long.

Try parts of this 6 page thread E60 525i N53 Cold Start Rough Idle - Fault Codes

Start researching at https://bimmerprofs.com/?s=misfire+cold and strap in as it may take a few sessions to fully digest ;).

Between 2007-2013, the N53 (wiki) was also packaged mostly in Europe in greater numbers with the E90 3 series (I would think).

2007-2010 E60/E61 530i

2007-2010 E63 630i

2007-2013 E90/E91/E92/E93 330i

2011-2013 F10 530i

3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Try parts of this 6 page thread

Ah this is anxiety inducing. There are lots of possibilities within that thread, half of which I have no clue what they are. 

I've noticed buried in the paperwork as of last year one of the advisories of an invoice;

"Nox sensor faulty"

"Crank and AC pulleys corroded"

But apparently Cyl2 coilpack was replaced. I've never come across a Nox sensor so stupidly I didn't check what that meant. 

Could this be the issues? I'm most confused about whether I need to change the Nox sensor, injectors, coil packs or all of the above? Is there a way I could pinpoint, will fault codes via carly phone app work?

15 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

Ah this is anxiety inducing. There are lots of possibilities within that thread, half of which I have no clue what they are. 

I've noticed buried in the paperwork as of last year one of the advisories of an invoice;

"Nox sensor faulty"

"Crank and AC pulleys corroded"

But apparently Cyl2 coilpack was replaced. I've never come across a Nox sensor so stupidly I didn't check what that meant. 

Could this be the issues? I'm most confused about whether I need to change the Nox sensor, injectors, coil packs or all of the above? Is there a way I could pinpoint, will fault codes via carly phone app work?

21 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Sounds like a misfire. n53 should start instantly and cleanly and settle into a regular idle. I would be taking the top cover off and checking injector index number - should be index 11. Google for how to check. A known weakspot. Also read codes. Time is of the essence because with a bit of luck perhaps you can get the supplying dealer to stump up for new injectors and possibly coilpacks under warranty.  

On 29/06/2020 at 17:45, bmwmike said:

Thanks, I'll do a check tonight even!

I have 3 month warranty on certain bits so I've booked in a diagnostic next week to look at the battery, bluetooth and misfiring. Usually I would try and tackle something like the bluetooth thing myself by ordering second hand modules etc but I just don't have a lot of free time atm so want this sorted asap.

Will report back!

Edited by 525-Jay

Probably a silly question, but should I not drive the car until I get the misfire sorted? Or will it be okay for normal (not motorway) driving since it seems to calm down once warm?

Hmm, I'd still drive it if I had to, the previous owner probably did for quite a while...

What sort of warranty is it, one that you have to make a claim?

34 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

What sort of warranty is it, one that you have to make a claim?

There doesn't seem to be a formal procedure. I've spoken to them, I will get a quote from the garage and then discuss with the dealer what needs to be done. I'm not sure as of yet how money will change hands. Going to get the diagnosis out of the way first

How long have you had it? within 30 days you can reject. After 30 days they need a chance to fix it. Faults within 6 months are generally assumed to be present at sale so the dealer is on the hook. After six months youre on your own.

11 hours ago, bmwmike said:

How long have you had it? within 30 days you can reject. After 30 days they need a chance to fix it. Faults within 6 months are generally assumed to be present at sale so the dealer is on the hook. After six months youre on your own.

I've literally had the car 3-4 days. Dealer was trying to slyly refer me to the warranty sheet  about what's covered/not but my argument was that warranty issues are things that develop after purchase but these things were clearly present at sale so it's more of a consumer rights issue. It's a bit of a faff because I'm thinking why should I be paying (potentially a lot of) money to fix issues that rocked up within a day or 2 of paying for the car. 

1 hour ago, 525-Jay said:

I've literally had the car 3-4 days. Dealer was trying to slyly refer me to the warranty sheet  about what's covered/not but my argument was that warranty issues are things that develop after purchase but these things were clearly present at sale so it's more of a consumer rights issue. It's a bit of a faff because I'm thinking why should I be paying (potentially a lot of) money to fix issues that rocked up within a day or 2 of paying for the car. 

you shouldnt be paying anything. If it was a retail (rather than "trade sale") purchase then consumer rights are what you have and they say you can reject the car within 30 days.

Personally i think the n53 is a great engine when running properly but - and big but - they can throw some big bills and even more so if you are at the mercy of a garage to troubleshoot as they just dont have the experience. Even bmw dealers.

I would only buy another if i had assurance that injectors were latest index 11 (all 6) or £1500 off the price. 

These days problems usually surface on forums when someone just bought the car, presumably the prior owner traded in at the first sniff of a misfire. Most are otherwise sorted at this stage.

9 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

you shouldnt be paying anything. If it was a retail (rather than "trade sale") purchase then consumer rights are what you have and they say you can reject the car within 30 days

Thanks, that gives me some peace of mind. 

11 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

These days problems usually surface on forums when someone just bought the car, presumably the prior owner traded in at the first sniff of a misfire.

Yep definitely agree. I was saying to the Mrs that if these problems crept up 3-4 months down the line, I'd have no qualms with getting it sorted but it's a bit of a joke to happen so soon. You never know what else is on the way out.

Is it dangerous to have a faulty Nox sensor?

no affiliation and didnt fully read:  https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/ hopefully helps you get the facts for peace of mind.

Nox sensor, why would you run without it? its a 400 quid part, and is one of the main features of the n53. without it you lose fuel economy. Id argue you chose the car for the fuel efficiency of the n53. again if its not working properly it is a fault and not as described etc.

apols for grammar my phone playing up and i am basically giving up on caps and spelling.

Edited by bmwmike

edit no wont do any harm to drive with faulty nox nor the misfire

btw misfire could be something inoccuous like a coilpack (cheapish) hence why i suggested checking injector index to tell you what you are dealing with. my bet is they are index 9 and will all need replacing

good luck whatever you decide

Edited by bmwmike

17 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

& this is why forum's like this are a god send B)

Oh 1000%, I wouldn't have even thought of buying another E60 if it wasn't for this forum.

So yesterday I went to a friend who has Carly and we saw the P0303 error which said cylinder 3 misfire. We went ahead and swapped the coil between 3 and 2 - the coil on 3 was very dark brown at the end btw compared to 2 which was super clean but then again, 2 was apparently changed last year. Error didn't come back up so I've now started up this morning and it's still idling rough so will check again later if the misfire has moved to 2, will report back!

So @bmwmike I also done a quick check of my injector indexes. If I'm right in believing you need to look on the far top right number my indexes are: 07, 02, 09, 02, 09, 02. So there's nothing uniform about them..

The thing with this engine is the spark quality and timing is critical. coilpacks and plugs and plug wells need to be spotless. I handle mine with a clean lint free cloth. The oil filler is right above cyl 3, and oil can spill down causing no end of trouble. In rare cases the cam cover can crack by there too.  Hard to say in your case but spotless is key regardless of why there is oil/gunk present.

yeah indexes are all over the place, its clearly had work. I would see if the misfire moves first but be careful working on it as you could jeopardise right to reject.

index 02 could be original btw.