Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

Space for a small amp in e39 dash

So I've finally taken a look at wiring in a Sony in line amp i have to improve sound with OE looks.

Basically it boosts the speaker signal by interrupting the sound out from the OE HU (which for my own reasons i wish to retain) and i plan to use to feed some clarion speakers with an MDF mount in the doors and standard roof speakers (not after big sound but an boost from OE)

The amp has a nice long fly lead so where is a good place to hide it? I know behind the OE head unit there isn't enough space. Thinking behind glove box?

Thoughts welcome

24 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

20x12x4cm

Not enough room behind the glove box for that IIRC

What about under the passenger seat maybe?

Don't really want to be pulling the car apart - was hoping there is some cubby somewhere. Hate wiring stuff at the best of times!

Hi Duncan,

I don't think you'll have any space to install a small amp in the way you're thinking. The best route would be for you to speak to Baris/Carphonics and have him upgrade the OEM head unit you have (assuming it's the Radio/Cassette) - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/c53.htm

Get those stronger MDF panels, some entry level 2 way components for the front. Use the fader of course to reduce the increased output to the roof speakers and you'll get the added extra you want without doing any cutting/wiring in/heat dissipation concerns of a separate amp.

Cheers, Dennis!

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Don't really want to be pulling the car apart - was hoping there is some cubby somewhere. Hate wiring stuff at the best of times!

Could it be velcro'd under the back of the glove box; inside the footwell but out of sight?

Hi Duncan,

I just had a look at Baris' website and saw that head unit as I recalled you don't have the Satnav setup. I think you have the MID and cassette (or CD) above?!

I'll assume you don't want to take up any room/space in the glovebox itself?

Although that's a small in-line amplifier unit, it's still not small enough for you to find a cubby/space to fit it into. You'd have to get a smaller sized amp and potentially fit it to the left of where the OEM head unit chassis sits as there's a small 'gap' there. The smallest would be a Mosconi Pico 2 amplifier that around 87x80x30 mm ! It's priced at £180, 2x80 W RMS at 4 ohms.

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks Dennis, I have the MID and CD - High OBC i think it is. Baris does the basic or BM54 nave set up as far as i can tell. I did ask when he did the pixels.

I don't really want to spend any money if can be avoided so will fit the speakers and mounts i have and go from there.