waitee

Rebuilding my 540i... join me :)

Fantastic alloys 8) Nicer than Style 37s IMO ;) 

What colour is that?

thanks guys, im really happy. its like a shadow chrome kinda colour, anthracite or something the guy called it. Darker than it looks in some pics.

Just back from a drive to check everything was good, specially with the centre boring being done, but happy to report no vibrations up to high speeds, It was done properly and they fitted perfectly snug over the 74.1 hubs. Plus I got an extra 4mm track at the rear now lol ET24 vs 22 ;) as they are e38 wheels originally.

Not a big fan of the 37 paras either ;)

Upgraded to e60 (pre LCI) washer spray jets today, fantastic upgrade, was fed up with the quad jet wasting tons of water to get the screen clean, and always that dirty corner the water never gets to. this creates a lovely mist. Plus simplifies the whole system. Removed the intensive wash completely, lets face it its not needed haha. New wiper rubber while I was at it.

Jets I got form ebay £30 from Latvia!, plug and play, even electrical connectors are the same.

Also Fixed the weeping power steering reservoir which slowly seeps oil as most do. reason is simply the rubber hoses get formed and no longer conform to the pipe to create a good seal. Easy fix, cut about an inch of each pipe to get a nice new elastic bit of pipe. New clamps and done :) Plenty of slack in the pipes for this.

Either drain the fluid from underneath, or do what I did and pull it all out with a syringe and a tube.

Another couple great fixes.

230.jpg

231.jpeg

232.jpeg

233.jpeg

234.jpeg

235.jpeg

236.jpeg

237.jpeg

238.jpeg

Edited by waitee

couple comments on 18"vs 17", I haven't noticed any comfort related issues as some mention online. they feel identical in that respect to me. Of course new tyres feel great anyway! cant comment on performance driving because its winter!

I have noticed that the speedometer is not more acurate oddly, but I think this is prob due to larger wheel diameter of new vs worn tyres maybe.

indicated 80mph before was 72 by gps now 77by gps! almost had to brake when I flew past a speed camera! XD

@waitee - Hope you don't mind, i've got a couple of questions i'd like ask :

How are you getting on with the xenon converted headlights?
Thinking of following the same route as what yourself & @d_a_n1979 have done by retrofitting xenon bulbs into my halogens.

Did you notice much of a difference now you've replaced the engine & gearbox mounts

How you getting on using the IBUS App on an aftermarket headunit?

Also have you got a link to the E60 Fan washer jets?

Cheers

Edited by Jay_w

1 hour ago, Jay_w said:

@waitee - Hope you don't mind, i've got a couple of questions i'd like ask :

How are you getting on with the xenon converted headlights?
Thinking of following the same route as what yourself & @d_a_n1979 have done by retrofitting xenon bulbs into my halogens.

Did you notice much of a difference now you've replaced the engine & gearbox mounts

How you getting on using the IBUS App on an aftermarket headunit?

Also have you got a link to the E60 Fan washer jets?

Cheers

Hey Jay, no bother at all mate,

Love the Xenons, so much nicer, they don't through light any further away, you can see any "more", but what you can see is so much brighter if that makes sense. same area just more light. You could do it the way I did or get aftermarket H7 Xenon kit, save using adapters, would prob be cheaper and do the same job.

I will report back once ive fitted the new mounts, ordered a month ago and haven't arrived yet!! prob stuck on a truck somewhere trying to get to the UK! keep an eye on the thread ill post pics of the install once done. I don't expect much of a difference with mounts, mine are fine, its more preventative, But I do hope to get rid of some driveline vibration with the centre bearing replacement.

I don't have the IBUS app, mine is not an android unit, I don't like them sorry. Have a look at my how to thread :)

and heres a link to the jets, just ebay it :) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BMW-E60-E61-preLCI-Heated-Windscreen-Washer-Nozzle-Jet-Spray-7132969-Y01/392783154664?epid=1780192625&hash=item5b73b34de8:g:MY4AAOSwM1deq7Rl

More great work today. Been wanting to do these two for a while.

I wasn't happy with the drivers right bolster, even after it had been "repaired" it didn't feel the same as the left side. I always looked at my passenger seat and though its in such good condition... so grabbed one from a breaker, passenger sport seat in good nick.

Removed the drivers seat, remove the plastic trim bits with the controls, this is easier on the electric seats and a bit more fiddly to remove the manual adjusters. once the trim bits are moved, go round the seat bending all the tabs holding the leather cover in place. pull the cover back exposing the foam, cut the bull clips away from the two channels on the top part of the seat foam, and that lets you remove the seat cushion.

Now the clever part, use a fine saw, to cut the foam, I used the main section and right bolster of the passenger seat as its was virtually new and nice and firm. and the left hand bolster from the drivers seat, again nice and firm still.

Use some contact spray adhesive to fix them together, align it as best you can, I then pressed it into place to let the glue dry. Unless you have one of those tools for the bull rings you can just use zip ties like I did.

Dont do what I did, put the zip ties in place before you glue the seat, and also put them in the other way round you see form the picture. you'll see why when you try to tighten them lol.

with the cushion in place you can zip tie the metal bars back down, I also use spray adhesive on the top cover., Instal reverse of dismantle.

I not have what feels like a brand new seat! both bolsters are firm, with a nice steep angle to keep you in place! 

Total cost £50. well happy.

I also fitted a relay so that the Angel eyes would come on with the ignition, a few reasons for this, mainly Im tired of having to manually adjust the dimmer on the radio, now it goes dim when I turn the lights on when its darker out and stays bright otherwise. Plus I don't have to have the rear lights, number plate lights, interior light, all on just to drive with the angel ayes on, which I like to do all the time, because the look awesome lets face it ;)

Simple to install really, I got the switched power from the electrical box under the Pax side cabin filter, it was a red and white cable on the very right hand side as you look at the box from the front, a slightly larger diameter cable than others in the box.

Photos in reverse order for some reason!73.jpeg.71516cfdd95ff8a352deb660945c68fe.jpeg

80.jpeg

79.jpeg

78.jpeg

76.jpeg

77.jpeg

75.jpeg

74.jpeg

72.jpeg

71.jpeg

73.jpeg

70.jpeg

Edited by waitee

INTERIOR IS 100% FINISHED! finally. Have a look on page 1 of the tread and remind yourself of the car when I bought it. This has not been a couple day job, but a process over the last few months, getting all the little bits perfect to my licking anyway.

Final bits I did the other day where wrap the steering buttons and gear shift trim in leather vinyl. its textured so give a really nice tactile feel, and looks fantastic in the car. It goes on like another vinyl wrap, patience to get curved surfaces and delicate use of a heat gun are needed.

Also some suede handbrake and gearshift boots. Look and feel great! Match the steering wheel to :)

And finally got the M5 Technical Graphite trim fitted. Wet sanded to 2500grit and then machine polished to get it better than new. This is my personal favourite trim (also love the very rare birch trims)

And you can see now how good the Anthracite headlining and pillars look!

All In all I absolutely LOVE sitting in the car, everywhere I look theres not a singe imperfection or scratch, just a little dirty as I haven't cleaned the car in a while.

Also after many days now using my bolster hack, the seat just feels brand new, equal feeling on both legs from the bolsters.

What do you think?

204.jpeg

218.jpeg

200.jpeg

205.jpeg

206.jpeg

207.jpeg

208.jpeg

209.jpeg

210.jpeg

211.jpeg

212.jpeg

213.jpeg

214.jpeg

215.jpeg

216.jpeg

217.jpeg

On 1/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, waitee said:

Delicious style 32 rims

Every E39 I've had until my current one had style 32's, absolutely love them. If I didn't have more important things to spend on, I'd be on the look out for a set for my current ride in place of the 66's it's got. 

And although in your pics it was unintentional / lighting, I've always fancied them with black centres, silver rims. Was on my list of things to do for my 528 saloon before the 'WARNING WARNING EXPENSIVE MOT INCOMING' alarm sounded for it and numbered its days.

Such a good build 8) 

Just seen the update re the washer jets too; a route I'll go down as like you, the OEM ones just waste so much fluid :lol: 

Re the intensive washer delete, is it just a case of removing the canister, pump and lines, or does it need to be coded out etc?

5 hours ago, waitee said:

INTERIOR IS 100% FINISHED! finally. Have a look on page 1 of the tread and remind yourself of the car when I bought it. This has not been a couple day job, but a process over the last few months, getting all the little bits perfect to my licking anyway.

216.jpeg

NICE - the inside of my 540 wagon looks like a smokers lung

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Such a good build 8) 

Just seen the update re the washer jets too; a route I'll go down as like you, the OEM ones just waste so much fluid :lol: 

Re the intensive washer delete, is it just a case of removing the canister, pump and lines, or does it need to be coded out etc?

No coding required! super easy to remove, disconnect the electric connector, unscrew the reservoir, tidy up the lines to the washer jets. :) plus the intense button still does something, otherwise it would bug me haha

HIGHLY recommend the seat bolster mod to, easy enough and cheap.

Edited by waitee

Just finished reading through, you have been busy! Please tell me you haven’t got kids otherwise you must be super human getting so much done!

Very nice work though I’m with Dan on never wanting to Polly bush an E39, but its all good if that’s what you want.

2 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Just finished reading through, you have been busy! Please tell me you haven’t got kids otherwise you must be super human getting so much done!

Very nice work though I’m with Dan on never wanting to Polly bush an E39, but its all good if that’s what you want.

cheers, and I haven't noticed any negatives from polybushing the car at all. car feels "tight" not sloppy, very direct, yet still very comfortable. Some of the vibrations I had for a while, specially in the steering, all disappeared with new tyres and a good alignment.

all of which I consider positives :)