waitee

Rebuilding my 540i... join me :)

easy pieasy: remove rand down a little, clean, dry and quick spray with Halfords plastic bumper trim black rattle can. I figure if they get damaged its easy to touch up :)

Also paint PDC while your there to match

Edited by waitee

Well guys and gals, bumpers are on and I couldn't be happier :) there not factory perfect, but minor imperfections, that will buff out once I decide to compound the car.

What a change from the SE bumpers.

Also changed a damaged front wheel well trim, And BOTH front bits of trim with the hole for the brake cooling duct, which where both completely fucked! They are aftermarket (ebay) cost about 30 quid for the pair. the fit is OK, not great, had to drill most wholes once in place, but not a big deal, and at least the temp sensor reads correctly now that its not exposed to all the engine heat.

last photo is pre bumpers :)

134.JPG

135.JPG

136.JPG

ffe4a68f-dce4-44a2-bb7e-e4ed82aae5d3.jpg

Hey folks, a good mechanical day today: finally got round to fixing the oil leaks.

Valve covers, I had spare ones ready to go from a landie as you've prob seen on previous posts. Powder coated textured black. ALL baskets and rubber washers swapped out. Reused all bolts and hardware. Used a little bit of silicon gasket maker on the corners of the half circles and where the front timing covers meet.

Only fiddly bit is separating the injectors from the wiring box. PITA! pulled the box and the injectors came up with it, then used a pic to pry the metal clips of each side of the injector and finally freed to get space to work. easy to put back together, place injectors in there places and used a small bit of grease round the side and the elec box just pushed back on.

Labelled everything as I took it of, connectors etc, a few vacuum lines.

I had a new positive terminal which looks nice compared to the broken one.

I also did cleaned the knock sensors and fitted with new o rings. And the vanos seals which where actually my biggest oil leak. Easy enough and cheap parts to. Pull of clean push new one on with some silicone gasket to be safe.

Then did the oil change and took the sump of completely, changed the gasket and the sensor gasket to. cleaned everything up as I went.

Engine inside looks like a nice light gold which is good. 

Oh and replaced the chain tensioner which compared to the new one I fitted was completely shot! First start is  noisy for a second, but now I don't get the couple seconds of rattle on startup anymore so happy. :)

LONG day, but work it giving the engine some love and many more years of life. Oh forgot spark plugs to :)

50.JPG

51.JPG

52.JPG

53.JPG

54.JPG

55.JPG

56.JPG

57.JPG

58.JPG

59.JPG

Edited by waitee

fuel filter today, and those odd, but apparently rather good aerodynamically, fin things on the front of the rear wheel. OEM BMW cheap parts and mine where missing. Apparently they create turbulence and the front of the wheel braking up the bounds layer and creating a larger coefficient of friction, IE more grip!

Also got round to wiring my ford lights. SE bumper has H8 bulbs, M sport has HB4, or the other way round I cant remember anyway, needed to change. Cheap on ebay to get the cable and solder in place.

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

Hi, I'm late to the party on this. Great thread. Great work. Lovely looking car. You should be well pleased with yourself. 

Have you had project cars before? 

well, now the V8 sounds as it should! really happy with the exhaust, I was a little worried it would be to much, but a straight pipe from the "Y" resonator to the back is the perfect exhaust.

On start up you get a very quick growl. idling you can barely tell any different. Only when you rev do you hear a great raspy/growly roar. the more you rev the better it gets haha. only change I made to the car was flipping the hanger from left to right. and adding a little aluminium tape to the OEM exhaust to create a good seal. 70mm pipe used. 

On the go you from inside you can barely tell theres an exhaust once you going more than 50 you cant really hear it which is perfect. On the motorway there is no drone until your doing... definitely not 90mph, had CC set at definitely not 80mph on the way home and you could only hear a light purr in the very faint background.

Very happy with it. The pipe work I bought my self as I wanted good steel "409" I got. And found a great welder close to Glasgow to TIG it in place. Did a great job gassing the inside of the pipe as well as the outside as a good TIG welder should.

Sounds awesome pulling away and it going to do wonders for my MPG im sure haha

Sorry about the comparison pic with the new and original exhaust, didn't realise it was blurry at the time, but gives you an idea of the size, and extra length.

2AC8BBFF-FBDC-4F6E-A6EA-C4626264154D.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

A great project this :) 

Exhaust looks well too; just commented on the other thread...

How do you find the rear end of your 540i with the polybushed mounts? My touring is rock hard on the suspension its on; couldn't consider polybushes at all for my personal liking, but then again the touring rear shocks are firmer than the saloons as far as I'm aware

honestly the kit I got from "strong flex Uk" recommended by them was a mix of harder yellow compound and same feel as standard red compound. Basically they gave me yellow for the real hard torque twisting areas, H arms and front arms. rest is red which is meant to feel like standard, but lifetime warranty...

Feels great to me, car is supper tight will all the work ive done to it, but is by no means rough, still a refined comfortable, plush yet firm....

so I would consider polybushes if they need replacing for sure. just get the OEM equivalent compound if you worried about them changing the stiffeness or comfort, but they really don't. have a look through my pics and you'll see the yellow ones which are the firmer ones.

:)

10 hours ago, waitee said:

honestly the kit I got from "strong flex Uk" recommended by them was a mix of harder yellow compound and same feel as standard red compound. Basically they gave me yellow for the real hard torque twisting areas, H arms and front arms. rest is red which is meant to feel like standard, but lifetime warranty...

Feels great to me, car is supper tight will all the work ive done to it, but is by no means rough, still a refined comfortable, plush yet firm....

so I would consider polybushes if they need replacing for sure. just get the OEM equivalent compound if you worried about them changing the stiffeness or comfort, but they really don't. have a look through my pics and you'll see the yellow ones which are the firmer ones.

:)

Thanks

I've polybushed many cars; but they've always been on Honda's and Mitsubihi's etc

For me I wouldn't polybush a car like my touring or previous saloons TBH; too much vibration and too firm a ride for what I'd want; if it were an E46 330i b road nooligan; I could understand etc

But the rear subframe bushes on the E39s do seem to take a battering; so it could be a consideration for the future if I need to replace them again

On 18/09/2020 at 18:08, waitee said:

86.jpg

Great work

Daughter is moaning about not having Apple CarPlay. Which head unit is that please?

hey, its a sony unit xav-ax1000, cheap and for me a must in a volume knob, apple car play works great.

Im having an issue where it resets when I turn it up quite loud, but Its a power issue of the car not the unit I think. Needs a stronger input cable, might run one from the cig lighter which is 15a I think.

Cheers

ps, have a look at the pics of me kinda glueing/welding the facia to the bracket. easy to do, and better than the shit that came with the facia. just means the whole thing is one unit.

Today I replaced all the vacuum lines, (the rubber parts) pretty easy actually, I recommend you check them out, this was just preventative for me, but I came across some crumbling bits, and part of the fuel pressure reg just broke as I checked it.

If your wondering 4mm vacuum line works perfect!

Also fitted after market under tray as mine was a bit broken. Fit is pretty good for non OEM.

Replaced the engine bay crumbling bulkhead bit, and tidied up plastics. Everything looking great :)

Also cut another 2 inches of my exhaust as it was sticking out to much, looks better now.

46.JPG

47.JPG

161.JPG

162.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

165.JPG

166.JPG

166a.JPG

167.JPG

168.JPG

169.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Lots of good work going on there!

This was just a niggle thing that was bugging me, odd screws and broken fasteners. So I bought a pack of 20 of those 90degree release DZUS fasteners, for the under tray and the front side half under tray half wheel liner bits. all looks much tidier now. Not that anyone can see lol

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

On 24/10/2020 at 12:34, waitee said:

Standby folks.. this is gonna look and sound awesome!

a82d42e8-3ae6-4b5b-a628-f5f6717de527.jpg

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

One other thing - you obviously don't get any error messages, but did you look into the MOT implications? Mine has no problem passing with one sub removed, but when you see both cone and a significant straight through set up, it does make me wonder if any problems might be encountered.  

I've got a ramp appointment booked with my local zorst indie on 30th November for a look-see and price up.

Edited by Loadmaster

Couple little bits of rust fixed, front part of the sills, where the screen wash reservoir is, had to cut a little out, make plate to weld in, treat and paint. Did the other side to while I was at it, but no where near as bad. Lucky the car had very little to no rust work needed, but thats the last of it gone.

Coming up to the end of the project, its been a big job, but worth it. Still to do, Belts and PCV valve (just as preventative) and a few other bits, mainly cosmetic paintwork and wheels refurb etc. then ill get some nice pics of the car :)

r4.JPG

r5.jpeg

r6.jpeg