thomp1983

Ok what have I broken?

Hi all,

Spent the last couple of days replacing the clutch and flywheel in my '05 525d. Job went well but now it's all back together if you lift off the throttle at 2krpm there is a vibration.

I'm fairly certain it's from the propshaft, I fitted a new centre bearing and Flexi disc whilst they were off, the Flexi disc was a meyle hd part and it didn't have the raised rubbed bits on the shoulders that should align with the joints but it was marked which side goes to the prop so I'd think that's been done correctly.

When splitting the 2 halves of the shaft I marked them so im happy there back in the correct orientation, however I couldn't find a torque setting for the bolt and washer that hold the 2 together so just went with what I thought was right enough given how hard it was to undo, could I have overtightened the joint?

When removing the prop the CV joint to the rear diff split at the cap instead of the diff so the balls fell out of joint, I've cleaned and regreased everything before assembly but I wonder if having the balls in there non original position has upset the joint or that it's overtightened the torque setting of 70nm seems alot for those bolts but thats what new tis shows.

Lastly I changed the gearbox oil, I refilled it with 75w80 gl4 gear oil as that seems to be substitute for the BMW specific stuff, I'm also fairly sure the vibration is from the prop so gear oil shouldn't have any effect and the box feels great.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Was the centering sleeve on front prop OK? Is the flex disc installed correctly so that arrows on the edge are pointing towards bolt side? Did you put the CV joint together on the correct orientation? (It can be put together on two orientations but the wrong one doesn't allow much movement on the joint.)

Centering sleeve is good, the new flex disc didn't have any arrows, it was marked with which side goes to the prop and I aligned it using the old one that did have arrows for reference.

The CV joint should have went back in the correct orientation as both sides of the joint were marked for a previous job, but I do know I turned the cage inside the joint when refitting the balls so maybe it is out of line internally?

The whole prop turned freely by hand once reassembled. the car is going on a 100 mile journey tomorrow so I'll monitor things and see what happens I'm hoping everything will bed in and be fine but I know that's unlikely

Edited by thomp1983

I have juddering under hard accelleration..this happened after my prop was split. I have had new prop ect..but still there,it seems random now as to when it happens. Will be watching this thread.

Well we'll be taking the wife's car tomorrow, just went to put fuel and do tyres in mine and the vibrations below 40mph are above acceptable, there rattling my daughter's isofix base all over which would tie in with clavurion's thought that I've assembled the CV joint incorrectly as that's just behind the rear seats.

I'll be removing the exhaust for repair at some point soon so I'll drop the heat shields, split the CV joint and spin it 180 degrees and see if that sorts things out.

Thanks

Chris