Taffy 1

Urgent sound proofing

Does anyone please know if the heater box on an e28 is insulated with any soundproofing felt or not and if so does anyone please have any photos?

Brilliantly covered Dunc. There's a piece of really shitty felt with a shiny side which came out of the car when I was stripping out the carpet etc, it seems totally alien to the car. It is shaped and cut but doesn't fit anywhere, I'm wondering if it was fitted in the car by mistake.

IMGP0657.JPG

Edited by Taffy 1

It is glued to the front of the heater box, although annoyingly it is not shown on the diagram:-

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DC52-EUR-07-1986-E28-BMW-M535i&diagId=51_1798

The metal baulkhead is sandwiched between part's 1 and 2, the heater box is attached and the errant piece you have is glued top the front of the heater box and then all the center console is fitted

Thancks Tim, it's nice of you to help. We've cut a new piece of felt to mount on the box using the shitty piece as a pattern. 

It would be great if I could see an image because the shape is not logical, originally this must have been taken out of the car and put back in the wrong place. I have never seen this piece in situ.

Photos would be of huge assistance.

IMGP0657.JPG

Edited by Taffy 1