Piper

What is a fair price for an E34 M5?

Have seen prices range from a fair £7500 to a ludicrous £65k.

What is a decent one worth, particularly a 3.8?

Condition, condition, condition and history.

I bought a cheap M5 Touring back when they were cheap anyway - it didn't last. I've also seen the amount of attention to detail that some of the £65k and more cars have, and some are worth every penny.

I'd rather have a decent 3.6 than a tatty 3.8; they are old cars now with (dare I say it) slightly fragile 3.8 engines so they shouldn't be ragged senseless to try and go fast in - almost every turbo diesel on the road is quicker these days. 

Buy one now as a classic for high days and holidays and buy on condition; E34's were lauded in their time for excellent engineering and the M5 in particular for handling and 'that' engine sound, so buy i now for reasons of it still being a very special car to drive rather than a performance car to rag.

Interesting topic!

I guess the price depends on so many factors, among condition and history as the other people say here.

I think it also slightly depends on which country you live in, and whether it's RHD or LHD. Since I live in Norway a RHD car would be pretty much worthless to me.

It also depends what you are after. Some people are real purists and they don't accept anything other than original. Other people are fine with the 'right' modifications. Everybody's different, and the same car might be worth a different amount to different people.

How much do you think for instance I had to pay for this car:

Somewhat off topic maybe, but depending on your desire for originality, and your skill set, for the price of a nice M5, you can build something pretty incredible from a lesser model. You could buy a 540i and have £15,000 to spend on upgrades and restoration and have something that's faster, stops harder, and handles even better. 

All E34's are equally prone to rot, the shells are the same, everything that makes an M5 an M5 can be bolted on to a 518i. If you want a touring, the price gap is more than double! That's a hell of a budget for shenanigans!

Thats all true flandy but wheres the S38? When you wind a nice one up the noise and power delivery! Plus it will still not be an M5 but a bitsa car 

This just goes to show that we are all different. There's not necessarily a definite right or wrong. Personally it matters to me that the car was produced as an M5. Even if some of the parts on my car are not original I don't think that subtracts from the value as long as they are equal or better parts. To create an M5 out of a 518i would not do it for me, but that doesn't mean this wouldn't work for someone else.

Also, for me I always wanted and M5 or an M3. A 535i or 330i is not what I wanted, even if they are great cars.

On 14 July 2020 at 09:28, Flandy said:

Somewhat off topic maybe, but depending on your desire for originality, and your skill set, for the price of a nice M5, you can build something pretty incredible from a lesser model. You could buy a 540i and have £15,000 to spend on upgrades and restoration and have something that's faster, stops harder, and handles even better. 

All E34's are equally prone to rot, the shells are the same, everything that makes an M5 an M5 can be bolted on to a 518i. If you want a touring, the price gap is more than double! That's a hell of a budget for shenanigans!

You aren't going to get a E34 540i faster or as fast as an M5 without serious work, displacement or forced induction. Alpina did all three with the B10 4.0, B10 4.6 and B10 BiTurbo; none of which were cheap at the time or now, and none of which is cheap to do to a 540i.

On 14 July 2020 at 18:50, Bumbaclut said:

Thats all true flandy but wheres the S38? When you wind a nice one up the noise and power delivery! Plus it will still not be an M5 but a bitsa car 

An S38 is an engine you really do have to wind up and it does sound completely glorious from the E26 through to the E34 but be careful with the bitsa description Simon, as that's what you're doing isn't it? ;) That said, there are 4 or 5 rhd E34 M5 Tourings in the UK and at least three of them are bitsa's and I bet the owners don't care at all.

On 14 July 2020 at 20:39, greenelekta said:

540 doesn't even come close to a 3.8 M5 for driver excitement, priceless!

Ahh, but you do have to actually drive them yourself to get the excitement and not just cherish them in a garage preserving the low odometer reading for the next owner :D

16 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Ahh, but you do have to actually drive them yourself to get the excitement and not just cherish them in a garage preserving the low odometer reading for the next owner :D

Ahh, but I ran a 94 LHD 5 speed 3.8 M5 as my daily driver for 3 years in the early 2000's including many European trips and was not counting the odometer! One of the cars I regret selling, best drivers car I ever had. So there Kevin

M5 03.jpg

M5 02.jpg

M5 01.jpg

Edited by greenelekta

3 hours ago, sharkfan said:

You aren't going to get a E34 540i faster or as fast as an M5 without serious work, displacement or forced induction. Alpina did all three with the B10 4.0, B10 4.6 and B10 BiTurbo; none of which were cheap at the time or now, and none of which is cheap to do to a 540i.

Cheaper than you might think, my improvening thread will get more interesting sooner rather than later....

On 14/07/2020 at 18:50, Bumbaclut said:

An S38 is an engine you really do have to wind up and it does sound completely glorious from the E26 through to the E34 but be careful with the bitsa description Simon, as that's what you're doing isn't it? ;) That said, there are 4 or 5 rhd E34 M5 Tourings in the UK and at least three of them are bitsa's and I bet the owners don't care at all.

I'm well aware of my e34 being a bitsa nor will it upset me! 

In my ideal world if you had the money i'd have a 6 speed M5 wagon and a Bi turbo saloon.   Should of kept my 3.8 6 speed saloon because as Dave says they're epic drivers cars.  Bi turbos don't drive the same 

4 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

I'm well aware of my e34 being a bitsa nor will it upset me! 

In my ideal world if you had the money i'd have a 6 speed M5 wagon and a Bi turbo saloon.  Should of kept my 3.8 6 speed saloon because as Dave says they're epic drivers cars.  Bi turbos don't drive the same 

It wouldn't upset me in the slightest either; years ago I nearly bought the rhd 3.6 M5 Touring from Glasgow that was a bitsa from a 525i Touring but I was put off by the very biege comfort interior and a few of the other details around the car. I also won the auction for the Munich legends converted Avus genuine M5 Touring a long time ago but it was just short of reserve and on bidding on the subsequent auction it was withdrawn just before the end of the sale. I then had a full survey of the purple rhd M5 Touring conversion from a genuine lhd  when it was offered for sale but it wasn't for me. The other two rhd M5 Tourings I know about are a silver car I once saw which was again a 525i converted to 3.6 spec and the tidy conversion of a black car that Mr Olias of these parts converted a little while back.

And I was offered the project you are working on too - but having just moved to  the ridiculously expensive south-east and having to do a major fix on my B10 V8 Touring (and believing the BiTurbo Touring was beyond my skills and budget) I turned it down.

I'm glad it went to you - you're probably one of the few people with BiTurbo experience, hands-on know how and the dogged determination to get it done.

E34's are old cars now and while almost completely free of the complexities of coding they do (IMHO) need to be used now again - having had an E24 somewhat forcibly sat for some years it didn't do any of the electronics any good at all, as well as all the electric motors in seats, windows, fans, heating and ventilation, pumps and so on - they need to be out at least once every month or so to ensure they don't seize up and die.

After having a 540i/6 Touring and an M5/5 speed Touring I'm happy with the E34 I have now but I still think a narrow grill 535i would be an excellent problem free daily driver... once you get rid of the rust of course.

Who offered you my turd out of interest? As i was under the impression no word had only been said to 1 or 2 people at the start. I was on the case the the very day i had the phone call! 

Vixpy, by email, just asking if I might be interested - it was around the time I learned I needed a new engine block for the E39, and some other issues meant I was considering putting my own E34 or E38 up for sale, so it was a sad but easy no.

What do you all mean by 'bitsa' ? I am from Norway and not familiar with this word....

Bits of this. Bits of that. 'Bitsa'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk