Sign in to follow this  
dan101smith

Temp gauge

The temp gauge in my 530i reads at the first white line during normal use. It's been plugged in, and it's sitting at the correct temp at that point on the gauge. All my previous have sat at the 12 o'clock position.

However, on warm days in traffic it'll get hot. Yesterday when it was 29C ambient and I was in London traffic, I got the Coolant Temp warning on the dash. Put the blower on at max heat and it drops back down.

So two questions:

1) Should it sit at 12 o'clock like my other ones have?

2) It is really getting hot in traffic, isn't it? 

Yup; it's getting hot!

Should sit at 12 0'clock bang on really; time for a replacement maybe and a Wahler one at that :) 

Are your fans working as they should?

Have you tried bleeding the system just in case there's some air in there?

if it helps:

1. That first white line / quarter of the scale mark corresponds with 60degC via obd2 data on two e39s. (my b10 3.3 then, and now a v8)

2. As Dan infers the needle should sit centre '12 oclock'. And that dashboard guage is heavily damped - again , from watching obd data, the needle gets there at roughly 88-90degC and only moves past '12'clock' about 113-115degC (the hint my rad was about to give up ... no harm done, caught in time...) That's a wide band of ignorance if you are concerned about the cooling system...

Something is getting stinking hot/ not right on your 530. might be a sender, as much as needing to check the cooling system usual suspects. Blocked thermostat perhaps?

if you don't have one, buy a cheap obd2 dongle and watch the actual cooling system temp. You cannot rely on your dashboard gauge to indicate the scope of the problem - it is an indicator, not a true 'temperature gauge'. HTH.

Edited by Huff

Needle getting a lot earlier at "12 o'clock" position, somewhere around 75-80°c already will set it at vertical position and it will stay there up to around 115°c. Temperature gauge is giving just estimated reading. But with healthy cooking system needle should sit at 12 o'clock. And traffic stops shouldn't overhead engine. First to check obviously is temperature sensor in your case, if temperature is around 90° but gauge showing just quarter gauge, and next to check is thermostat, water pump and thermal fan clutch. These three things are needed to work correctly to keep engine at optimum temperature.

Yes, should read at 12 0 clock constantly whatever the conditions, worth checking the viscous fan if overheating in traffic. Sounds like it is overcooling in normal conditions if the temp needle is not going beyound the first white mark. Is there even a stat in the engine.

Funny, isn't it. Put it in to CPC a few weeks back, who said it's cooling just fine but probably a cluster issue.

I, like you lot, don't buy that.

Will investigate imminently as I want to change the car for something else, and would always prefer to sell a car with no faults.

I imagine it would benefit from a new “stat and water pump from what I understand of the m54 cooling system and a good bleed. 

Do the news paper test on the viscous too. 

On 24/06/2020 at 20:34, d_a_n1979 said:

time for a replacement maybe and a Wahler one at that :) 

Personally don't have a very good experiance with Wahler on the m54. I replaced the OEM BMW (Behr) as it was getting old (about 15 years) with a Wahler unit. In winter it would suddenly drop from the 12 o clock position to the first white mark and then go back up slowly. Replaced it again with an aftermarket Behr/Mahle unit and no issues since.

Edited by Johan

42 minutes ago, Johan said:

Personally don't have a very good experiance with Wahler on the m54. I replaced the OEM BMW (Behr) as it was getting old (about 15 years) with a Wahler unit. In winter it would suddenly drop from the 12 o clock position to the first white mark and then go back up slowly. Replaced it again with an aftermarket Behr/Mahle unit and no issues since.

Zero issues; Wahler are an OEM brand IIRC.

Fitted them to every BMW I've owned and never had any problems; even through seriously cold weather in the Scottish Highlands, the temp gauge has always stuck where it should be :) 

However, every manufacturer has issues; Lemforder, for me, have been crap, but others rave about them etc

Could've been that one flaky one that passed the final quality test. Generally I have no issues with Wahler. Ran them in M70, M30 and M50s without issues.

Lemforder to me is good quality, but then again the last arms I bought for my e39 had a cheap look and feel to the ball joint boots. Problem these days is everything has to be cheap. Bought a Behr radiator for my e34 expecting a similar to OEM quality radiator (from 1994) and it's an absolute cheap china part where the level sensor didn't even fit.

2 hours ago, Johan said:

Could've been that one flaky one that passed the final quality test. Generally I have no issues with Wahler. Ran them in M70, M30 and M50s without issues.

Lemforder to me is good quality, but then again the last arms I bought for my e39 had a cheap look and feel to the ball joint boots. Problem these days is everything has to be cheap. Bought a Behr radiator for my e34 expecting a similar to OEM quality radiator (from 1994) and it's an absolute cheap china part where the level sensor didn't even fit.

Yeah; Lemforder had issues 2018 into 2019; some of those parts are still being sold now. I got stuff from Autodoc that were part of Lemforder's recall; they were a ballache to take it back and refund now. Meyle and Moog ONLY for me unless it needs to be OEM BMW