gbrownings

Strange, maybe expensive unwanted engine noises - ticking.etc

Hi, not sure if the link below works but hoping for some thoughts about the somewhat concerning noises coming from the engine on my 02 M5 (105k miles)

The car hasn't been used much recently, for obvious reasons, but I notice it has developed some ominous sounding ticking/clicking noises mainly at tickover but more or less throughout the rev range. They do seem to disappear between 800-1100 revs and are not as audible after about 2,500.   I read something about sticking lifters (?) on cars that had been sitting for a while.  The suggestion seemed to be to give it a decent run at 2,500 revs at least.  I have done this but no change.  I also read it could be rod bearing, exhaust gasket or even Vanos. 

Anyone out there with an expert ear before I end up being ripped off by a dealer?

Should I stop driving the car?  It doesn't feel any different to drive.

Saturday at 13-26 (1).m4a

Thanks.

Difficult to say from a video.

A sticking valve lifter is a constant little ticking noise that in my experience stays equally loud with changing revs. It is clearly from the top if you listen with the bonnet up.

If the noise is momentarily worse when coming off the throttle from around 2500 rpm (in neutral) that can be more indicative of bearings.

Leaking exhaust flanges can also sound like a sharp rattle but make a variable noise. If you can safely get under the car those would be obvious if they are the cause.

I would not drive it until you get a better idea of the source of the noise. The crank nearly always survives a bearing on its way out but your luck my run out if you keep running it. Are there any flecks of metal in the oil filter?

Vanos pump retaining clips have been known to come apart making noise from the top end. Broken chain guides can also make a racket. Both can be inspected by removing the valve covers.

Thanks. Much appreciated. The clicking does seem to be coming from the upper part of the engine, possibly more the off-side. I don't really have the facilites, or knowledge to do much mechanical work on the car myself.  There are a couple of OK garages nearby so I think I will, armed with your thoughts, see what they might diagnose, or at least eliminate, as a possible problem before deciding on the next course of action.

Personally, it sounds very similar to my current car after it had been at my Indy for 4 weeks over Xmas... It was really quite loud for the best part of 20 - 35 minutes driving before it disappeared and I put it down to sticky lifters... 

For peace of mind take it to trusted garage, but don't be surprised if the ticking disappears whilst you are on your way.

Also it sounds nothing like my old car did when the chain guides and tensioner went ... that was a really LOUD clatter / slap of a metallic noise which was obvious at 90mph when it happened - it was impossible to not hear ... and it was also very similar in sound to when one side of the vanos packed up. So I'd be very surprised if you have any worries on this score...

53 minutes ago, Seesure said:

Personally, it sounds very similar to my current car after it had been at my Indy for 4 weeks over Xmas... It was really quite loud for the best part of 20 - 35 minutes driving before it disappeared and I put it down to sticky lifters... 

For peace of mind take it to trusted garage, but don't be surprised if the ticking disappears whilst you are on your way.

Also it sounds nothing like my old car did when the chain guides and tensioner went ... that was a really LOUD clatter / slap of a metallic noise which was obvious at 90mph when it happened - it was impossible to not hear ... and it was also very similar in sound to when one side of the vanos packed up. So I'd be very surprised if you have any worries on this score...

Thanks. Some element of reassurance there!  I have driven it a bit recently including a good run down a 70mph dual carriageway but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  It is odd that the noise completely disappears between 800-1,100 revs. 

Is any other "cure" for sticky lifters?

cheers. 

Sticky lifters do tend to cure themselves with hot oil. It is odd that the noise goes away in that small rev range. Could the sound be coming from the front of one of the vanos units? They can rattle against the end caps if the oil is leaking through solenoids, and the position of them would vary with load/rpm possibly stopping the sound. A mechanic's stethoscope is good for this kind of issue.

Other than that, are you sure it isn't just an exhaust blow? The fuel gets cut off on the overun and then comes back on as it settles to idle, which could perhaps give a similar effect.

On 23/06/2020 at 12:49, THe39M5 said:

Sticky lifters do tend to cure themselves with hot oil. It is odd that the noise goes away in that small rev range. Could the sound be coming from the front of one of the vanos units? They can rattle against the end caps if the oil is leaking through solenoids, and the position of them would vary with load/rpm possibly stopping the sound. A mechanic's stethoscope is good for this kind of issue.

Other than that, are you sure it isn't just an exhaust blow? The fuel gets cut off on the overun and then comes back on as it settles to idle, which could perhaps give a similar effect.

Hi, thanks again. I think a trip to a reputable local garage will be the best course of action, now I am more confident that driving there won't make things a whole lot worse!

£1,600. I was advised to replace two chain tensioners (at £170 each) while we could even though they showed no outward issues. I agreed. In for a penny....

Below is the bulk of the parts. All from BMW and quite a few I believe special order from Germany. 

1422785995_PXL_20201005_084540371.MP(1).thumb.jpg.7f8f1de38c77604a5f6f8c5360efdc4c.jpg

Thanks for the update, TBH very surprised as it sounded nothing like my car when the guides went. 

Perhaps the fact that you caught it whilst driving at lowish speeds has helped, mine was a real slap of metal against metal and was audible above the engine/exhaust as I slowed down from around 90 and moving across to the hard shoulder. 

Good save though albeit a little bit of a wallet stinger...