Steve van hool

Grew up reading Warlord comics

Commando comics for me.

Later known as twopenny bloods in the Navy back in the 70's.

Tiger in the Tail | Commando Comics Wiki | Fandom

Best regards,

Mick

21 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Yes, I had a few of those Mick, and the Battle comics, WW2 seemed to be big stuff in the 1970's.

Went hand in hand with Airfix, Horby, Meccano and Lego :cool:

3 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Went hand in hand with Airfix, Horby, Meccano and Lego :cool:

Don't forget Scaletrix,

I also did an Airfix of the Lanc, and the Spitfire, and  enjoyed most WW2 movies, WE'sD, KH's to name a few.

On 19/06/2020 at 13:35, Steve van hool said:

Don't forget Scaletrix,

Half a dozen blokes raided their attics and brought their childhood Scaletrix to sea back in 1996 when we went on a six month deployment.

We managed to have an 8 lane stonking great track that we would put down on the weekends when the Gran Prix was on.

Simpler times for blokes in their 30's to 40's :cool:

Did I mention that the track was in the bar :grin:

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

17 hours ago, Ordnator said:

Half a dozen blokes raided their attics and brought their childhood Scaletrix to sea back in 1996 when we went on a six month deployment.

We managed to have an 8 lane stonking great track that we would put down on the weekends when the Gran Prix was on.

Simpler times for blokes in their 30's to 40's :cool:

Did I mention that the track was in the bar :grin:

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick

Mick, Not long after leaving school I joined the local slotcar racing club, that took Scaletrix upto another level, Google slotcar racing. It was great fun for anyone interested in motor sport, and very fast.

4 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

When does the second childhood start?

How about the day after your first childhood finishes :lol:

13 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

When does the second childhood start?

Sorry you've confused me.  Second?  My first hasn't finished. :lol:

Toys just get more expensive, according to my wife.

I got out my scalextric just before Christmas to let the litt'in play with it. 

5D2BDD7A-5CDD-4F42-AC77-AEB33FF52793.jpg

She loved it.  She is also currently helping me wire up my trainset in the loft during lockdown. I'm selling off unwanted model railway stuff to fund the purchase of more toys as in tools and newer/fancier model railway stuff.

20 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

^^^^ Boys and their toys Andrew, I dare say you enjoyed the race as well as the little un,

Yup, I reckon its where I learned to hone my rear wheel driving skills.  You can get some good tail out action on Scalextric. :lol:

21 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

, any pics of the train layout?

It's very much work in progress, I'll need to take some and come back to you.  :D

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 11:47, Steve van hool said:

any pics of the train layout?

5278548-A-1352-49-FF-AFA2-012-A4-E13-DEA

During Lockdown I've fettled up a few wires so as to run something and move a few points for the littl'un to play with.  But I need a few more latching relays.

EBF782-B6-B1-FA-495-D-9404-58-E3-F10722-

Problem is everywhere has sold out of various bits of wiring kit as everyone has been playing with their trains during lockdown.

11 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Whats the premise/ intention for the layout? big roundy roundy or something prototypical?

11 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

Some serious railway modelling going on there, buddy, is it a complete loop, or end to end.

That's just my fiddle/storage yards mostly installed in 2013, the plan was for it to loop out further into the loft for a sweeping twin track main line typical of the WCML or GSW in Scotland with a model of the four river spans (elegant bow string trusses) of the Earn Viaduct south of Perth which I designed a strengthening scheme for back in 2005 and an E type plate girder deck that I was proposing to install on the Cobbinshaw line in 2010.

But we then started a family and loft space is diminishing. I had said I could quickly install a twin track on the other side of the vertical members of the roof truss, to make a roundy loop just to run stuff, but the wife actually said I should widen it out to "make room for stations and stuff" as the litt'un likes playing with it.  So there we go, permission from SWMBO to play with my trains! 

I might build something based on Castle Douglas station with its junction to Kirkcudbright. Its my 10 year plan!

11 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'm also curious about the asymmetric roof of your house in a professional capacity as its quite unusual!

Lol yeah, as a Civil Engineer myself its certainly interesting and was challenging laying sheets of 8'x2' boards in between the trusses.  I think its about 60/30 deg slope between the front and rear parts of the roof.