Kersidan

F11 Roof Bars

Good morning everyone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a set of F11 Roof Bars? I know that I can get a set of genuine BMW ones for circa £150 but I was just wondering if there are some equally good or better third party ones that are cheaper? I'm looking to fit a roof mounted cycle carrier, which I have already.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

As I have recently purchased some for my F11, I went for the following:

Lovely bit of kit, and in black they go very well with my black roof rails.

Edited by percha

Thule get the best write up for these sorts of things when I looked into it.

For what it is and where it is on your car you want to get the best gear possible to prevent any damage to your property or someone else's.

I also have the Thule set, which are currently fitted to my car. They're quality alright. The Wing bars only work best with the T-bolts. If you use a roof box or bike carriers with U-bolts you might find the wing bars are too wide to wrap the U-bolts around. T-bolts can be readily bought on ebay.

Tv2NELx.jpg?1

Edited by BFleming

Yep...

I'll second the recommendation for Thule Wingbars...I got mine off eBay with the correct footpack for £100.

Have used them with Thule cycle carriers and have just bought a Kamei Corvara roof box....eBay again!

Virtually no noise when travelling with just the roofbars....great bit of kit.

20200618_161446.jpg

I bought a set of Cruz square steel bars and the fitting kit for my F10 for ~£50 5 years ago. Other than perhaps a bit more wind noise than aero bars (I can't say, I don't know) they've always done the job - done thousands of miles without a hitch. Not sure what the fuss is about. Spanish company - quite well regarded by all accounts.

My only gripe is that now, 5 years later, I have bought the fixing kit to enable me to mount the bars to my F11 and the design has changed just enough that I have to find a set of longer bolts to secure the different mounts. 

Got myself a decent 360litre roofbox from Facebook market place for £90 last week, too. RRP £275.

Whichever way you go, https://www.roofbox.co.uk/ will have what you need.

Edited by jannism

Cruz do aerodynamic aluminium bars as well as the square steel and having just checked, they are half the price of the Thule equivalent (£110 vs £210) so if you want quieter bars but dont want to pay premium money for Thule, then they may be worth considering. I have a set for my F10 and they are pretty quiet.

20200618_181836.jpg

Edited by Phil_530d
Added pic

I have genuine BMW roof bars. The quality is excellent as you would expect and not too noisy when driving. I think i paid around £140ish. I looked at Thule but decided to go genuine, purley down to cost.

And if i remember correctly, the BMW F11 roof bars are the same part as the G31..

Edited by Bigcarman79

BMW OEM bars are rebranded Thules. I got mine, plus 2x bike carriers for less than £100 from eBay. Already had another bike rack, so can take three bikes on the roof now. The roof box was about £70, also 2nd hand.

299AB956-4612-40F9-A40B-EE0442516A45.jpeg

330156FA-3EAB-498E-BBBC-188C2305388E.jpeg

Thank you for all the advice and recommendations on this! I was going to go the cheap route but then upon your collective advice I've looked on Ebay and found a set of Thule WingBar bars secondhand that I think I'll go with. I'm just checking with my son that his bike rack will fit as these bars are 80mm wide so may require special carriers.

Mark

To the guys that have roof boxes. Where do you keep them when not on the car? 

No smart ass answers like, I borrow my brothers and he keeps it in his massive shed..... :lol:

They are massive and I can't find space in my garage to store them.  I've got a relatively low ceiling due to roof trusses which also then prevent anything sizeable being lifted up into the garage loft space.

They would be ideal going on the Center Parc trips and self catering hols we've gone on, but its where to store to thing for the other ~ 50 weeks of the year.

Outside .....I have nowhere else. 

I've just purchased a Kamei wall mounted bracket that will fit along one wall of our extension. 

I reckon the boxes are pretty weather proof..guess they have to be...so should be ok to leave outside. It's in the shade all day as it's a north facing wall so no UV sun damage...oh and I coated the box with a ceramic sealant when I received it.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/kamei_roof_box_wall_holder_no_81208/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb{~cC4ure5yYbq

Edited by neilos1000

In my last house I got some luggage straps and made 2 slings, the roofbox sat at the far end of the garage virtually against the underside of the trusses.

I don't have storage limitations these days, so it's standing up on edge in a garage currently.

They would be ideal going on the Center Parc trips 

Exactly why I originally bought it, I keep mine standing on its end in the garage although mine is more a ski box so quite narrow, but very long and area is big and fine for just adding general "stuff".

I picked this genuine BMW box up for £80 I think second hand, its very good quality with opening to left of right, nice hinge mechanism and big rubber seals.

I have used it many times, its paid for itself on trips to EU Centerparcs easily.

My garage is wide enough to keep my VW beach buggy in and then the roof box on its side and be able to walk past it.

Job done! Little used Thule Wingbars off Ebay for £150. Also my sons bike carriers are Thule so they will fit. My roof box will also fit, though it's rarely used these days and sits taking up room in the garage :rolleyes:. All we need now is for Brittany Ferries to start back up before 4th July when our crossing is booked for and we're off to our house In Brittany for a month of hard labour as we haven't been able to get there since February!

Mark

Thanks for the suggestions lads.

Although doing the sums, it is cheaper for me to pay for fuel for two cars to drive to and from Whinfell Centre Parcs to take all the necessary kiddie stuff (bikes) than it is to buy a set of (new) bars and a box. And I don't need to find somewhere to keep it.

Plus it means I could travel in peace and quiet and comfort in my car with my choice of music on.  Hmmmm.

Yeah, I'm not buying a box or bars.:lol:

Hi gang

I bought the Thule set of ebay too last year and am trying to fit it for the first time. When I fit the 4022 foot pack to the 753 holders, does anyone know if I use the single central bolt or the two outer bolts? The 4022 set seems to allow either fitting but the instructions suggest only one the single bolt. Pic below. I'm in a 2011 528i F11.

Thank goodness I've got a little while until our holiday and not a last minute panic! Just trundling off to deepest Wales due to COVID rather than France or Italy this year. This was going to be the cars first European trip but that will have to wait.

Any help appreciated!!!

unnamed.jpg

Thanks so much @percha. Will give that a whirl tomorrow on my day off. I've got 3 little helpers very keen to assist too (all big Wheeler Dealers, Top Gear, etc  fans - not sure where they got that from :rolleyes:) so it may take a bit longer than the 1 minute Thule demo video. The 10 yr old daughter stripped and rebuilt her radio controlled car on Sunday (first time ever she's done anything like that before - not sure what brought that on) so is itching to give it another go!

I've got the Wingbars and will pop on the Thule roofbox, which we used with the 330i E90. Will post a pic with the box on at holiday time. Many thanks again. 

Hi @percha

Sorry, no! It was so oppresively hot here in Bristol (hard to believe I know :cool:) I just had to let the kids mess about in the paddling pool instead, and they really wanted to help with the bars. Even I didn't want to be sweating over a set of allen keys - I'd imagine that'd be what it would be like watching the Malaysian GP in an open grandstand.

Will aim to do that at the weekend instead and take a pic. I'll take the pic once it's a bit cooler so that I can wash the car. Had I washed it yesterday I'd have been left with a DeLorean like paintjob. Ta ra.

After some pretty crappy customer service at roofbox.co.uk I ended up getting a set of Modula lockable aluminium bars from EBay. Pleasantly surprised with the quality and they’re resizable - they even come with rubber inserts to plug the resize gaps which stops them whistling. I think they look alright fitted too. I’ll try and remember to take another pic when I put the box back on for my return from France to quarantine. 

6E8B67BC-9769-4C05-AC24-2C7E9A2A0102.jpeg