Sign in to follow this  
Coaster

start / stop over enthusiastic?

On my 2018 G31 530d xDrive sometimes the engine cuts out before the car is stationary and then starts iteself again immediately before I then switch it off manually.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? I don't think it's correct but not sure if the main dealer will be able to help.

I've coded mine out.

I found mine (albeit a petrol so totally different engine) very keen to cut out, even stopped for a second that it began to annoy me

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

On my 2018 G31 530d xDrive sometimes the engine cuts out before the car is stationary and then starts iteself again immediately before I then switch it off manually.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? I don't think it's correct but not sure if the main dealer will be able to help.

I believe that is what it’s meant to do (stop before you stop). Doesn’t it also restart when the car ahead moves off?

Perhaps I’m not the best person for this as I have a 530e - but this is my understanding of how they work now.

The manual might tell you.

Edited by Carrman2018

I don’t like it at all. I’ve not been able to code it out but I’ve coded it so that it remembers the last setting (which is always off so the same thing really). I dislike the delay in moving off, ok if your dawdling but a pain for quick take offs of course if you forget.

Mine tends to cut out too soon as well; especially when creeping up to stationary traffic, and then re-starts if I let my foot off the brake, usually just before coming to a complete halt - the engine then remains running and so defeats the object of the stop/start! Doesn't seem to be a problem when using ACC?

My experience is that creeping along confuses it, seemingly, probably due to a combination of really slow speed and feathering the brakes on and off. Also I've found that turning the steering wheel a small amount restarts the engine.

I found the "premature" shutoff annoying at first as combined with my gentle braking style caused the engine to start again immediately. Slightly adjusted the way i bring the car to a halt and its fine now. Ned to adjust to other cars now but that's a minor issue. 

Using the auto hand brake stops the car restarting until you touch the gas, therefore it doesn't start when you take your foot off the brake. doesn't help with the jolt when the engine stops though!

yes, AUTO H definitely solves the restarting problem but I usually drive without it because I use the crawling at tickover quite frequently.  So I've either got to turn on/off AUTO H during every journey or put the gearbox into Sport mode to avoid stop/start.  I might look into having this coded out; how have people done that?  Any contacts in the Midlands?

2 hours ago, Coaster said:

yes, AUTO H definitely solves the restarting problem but I usually drive without it because I use the crawling at tickover quite frequently.  So I've either got to turn on/off AUTO H during every journey or put the gearbox into Sport mode to avoid stop/start.  I might look into having this coded out; how have people done that?  Any contacts in the Midlands?

Very simple if you've got eSys and a cable. You can buy a cable from Amazon, ebay etc for around a tenner and the software is easily downloaded

I'd do it for you although I'm in South Herts so not really near the midlands

Mines sometimes does that, bit annoying whilst parking. 
I’ve coded mines too with Bimmercode so it remembers last setting