max535

535d Front brake caliper guide pin bushes

I'm fairly sure mine are worn as im getting clicking at very low speeds, and I had a look today and the the passenger side lower one is especially worn so may as well do them all along with the spring clip.

Does anyone have experience changing these, do they come out easily, will they just lever out with a screwdriver?

Edited by max535

Yes you lever them out but you must hone out the bore as any build up will compress the bush and cause the slider to stick, the sliders on these are dry so don't be tempted to lube them.

ATE's fitting guidelines say to use some fitting paste to aid putting the new ones in, you only need a tiny smear. http://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/ate-bremszylinder-paste-180-ml

This is the same tool ATE sell for twice the price to hone them, it usually arrives within a week from the US and you get the import duty deposit back https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DB898GK/ref=dp_prsubs_2

http://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/honbuerste-ate

I've bought the Mintex kit which does appear to come with some sort of lube/paste so should be ok there, but i wasn't aware of the need to hone out the bore, that's annoying but thanks for the info.

All sorted, turns out it was the driver side that was doing all the clunking, i was skeptical that this would fix it but i carried on regardless and yay no more clunking at all! :)

For anyone who thinks its the spring clips that cause the problem i can say with some certainty that its not and the bushes are the part at fault as i didn't use the new spring clips at all, the reason was my brakes are painted purple along with the caliper and i didn't want to ruin the look so i used the old clips and it still doesn't clunk. I imagine all that happens is over time the bushes are heat cycled over and over and eventually start to shrink causing the play and hence the clunking against the pads.

The honing tool has like no wear on it whatsoever so if anyone wants to buy the tool off me ill post it to you for a tenner, and if there's anyone out there that's missing a cap for one of the bushes i have 3 spare so give me a shout and ill post one out to you.

Thanks for the tips Mr GoNZo!

Mine has had the creaking for ages..3 different mechanics couldnt fix it. 2 re greased and 1 put some folded coke tin behind the pad.

Is this a easy diy?

I will buy the tool from you if so..do you have a link to the kit? @max535

Edited by Chu

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you need a new mechanic, folded coke tin? Jesus...

Yep really easy if you are ok changing brake pads then its no bother, so while its fresh in my mind:

• Lever off the spring clip with a screw driver
  • Unbolt the caliper and pull out the slider pins with some pliers
  • Unhook the brake line from the bracket
  • Pull the caliper off and rest it on top of the brake disc
  • Whip out the pads
  • Push out the old bushes from the inside using a screw driver
  • Get some 5w 30 oil or similar-ish (i used 10w 40 FS i had lying around) and coat the inside of the bores along with the honing tool
  • Whizz it back and forth through the bore for about 30 seconds or so using as drill on a medium/slow speed, make sure to keep it spinning as you pull out (that's what she said)
  • Clean it all up with some brake cleaner
  • Grease the bores and new bushes using the supplied stuff
  • Push the bushes through the bore from the inside and clean up the excess grease
  • Reassemble everything as if you were installing new pads (grease the back of the pads and the slider T's)
  • Torque up to 30nm

Job done, probably went into too much detail there...

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're in a 530d which has different calipers to the 535d so that wouldn't work for you but I'm happy to sell you the honing tool?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MBA1787-MINTEX-BRAKE-ACCESSORY-KIT-BRAKE-CALIPER/123478524022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by max535

Oh i should add that it may be worth checking your slider pin heads before starting, i had 7mm hex sliders on one side and T40/T45 sliders on the other (cant remember what size they were but they were a 2 piece design) so they've obviously been changed at some point, somehow the 7mm hex worked in both and i didn't realise i was undoing a T40/T45 with a 7mm hex until I pulled them out...

Edited by max535

52 minutes ago, max535 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you need a new mechanic, folded coke tin? Jesus...

Yep really easy if you are ok changing brake pads then its no bother, so while its fresh in my mind:

• Lever off the spring clip with a screw driver
  • Unbolt the caliper and pull out the slider pins with some pliers
  • Unhook the brake line from the bracket
  • Pull the caliper off and rest it on top of the brake disc
  • Whip out the pads
  • Push out the old bushes from the inside using a screw driver
  • Get some 5w 30 oil or similar-ish (i used 10w 40 FS i had lying around) and coat the inside of the bores along with the honing tool
  • Whizz it back and forth through the bore for about 30 seconds or so using as drill on a medium/slow speed, make sure to keep it spinning as you pull out (that's what she said)
  • Clean it all up with some brake cleaner
  • Grease the bores and new bushes using the supplied stuff
  • Push the bushes through the bore from the inside and clean up the excess grease
  • Reassemble everything as if you were installing new pads (grease the back of the pads and the slider T's)
  • Torque up to 30nm

Job done, probably went into too much detail there...

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're in a 530d which has different calipers to the 535d so that wouldn't work for you but I'm happy to sell you the honing tool?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MBA1787-MINTEX-BRAKE-ACCESSORY-KIT-BRAKE-CALIPER/123478524022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ive never changed pads lol.. sounds a bit above my patience level. Will suggest bushes to mechanic!.

I'd guess he has a honing tool.

Cheers for the write up max!.

Just to add, the sliders are dry on our cars, they should move without lubricant.
Also when fitting the slider bush you shouldn't use oil as it won't dry like ate fitting paste, if it stays wet with oil it will move and pull in dirt again, this could cause it to seize again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk