Sign in to follow this  
525tds

525 tds random power loss help!!!

Hi guys, I bought a 525 tds e39 as a daily car a few months back, it needed a hell of a lot of work to get it back on the road, most of which I have sorted except this stupid power issue. 

Sometimes when full throttle nothing it barely manages to acceleerate, then after a while, say stopping at some lights and taking off the power comes back on and it accellerates fine, it's really doing my head in, I've exhauted the following 

New lift pump
replaced high pressure fuel pump

checked & replaced vacuum lines

changed fuel filter

replaced turbo 

checked all the wiring 

blanked the EGR at the exhaust end

Theres no bubbles coming when first starting and has no issues firing up first thing, leak off pipes are all good. The car is really annoying to drive, please can someone help me out? My INPA is not working so can't scan atm. Many thanks, 

Can you hear a grinding noise coming from under or around the passenger site when turning the key to the II position?  If so it maybe the in line fuel pump under the passenger side, I have similar issues when accelerating and getting above 3000 rpm. I have the part ordered so cant say it fixes the issue yet. if you get INPA working check pre-supply pressure. 

Is it manual or automatic? If automatic, maybe something to do with transmission. Honesty very first step should be faults scanned and some live data reading, because it could be anything. 

Thanks for the replies, it is a manual. The lift fuel pump is working, it's super strange some days when you first turn it on it drives normal other days no power getting everywhere is a crawl. I had it scanned for fault codes none I'm struggling to get INPA to work as my laptop has got other software on. I thought by swapping all these bits over I would have fixed it, it feels like a restriction in the fuel lines, a little jerking and power is back on, super strange.

Sounds throttle pedal related, given they are FBW.

these also use a MAF i believe, unlike the older variant of the engine, what year is it?

pray its not the pedal potentiometer, I just looked up how much they are :blink:

shared with all the fbw diesls from 1990 to 2000 though.

definitely need to be able to read live data should be obvious what it is when it does happen.

43 minutes ago, welshpug said:

pray its not the pedal potentiometer, I just looked up how much they are :blink:

shared with all the fbw diesls from 1990 to 2000 though.

definitely need to be able to read live data should be obvious what it is when it does happen.

Exactly, without reading live data and faults, and only replacing something with hope it will sort the problem is like dumping good parts one by one down the drain.