tornado84125

Just been scammed selling my E61 by 3 bulgarians in a black Sharan AG15RDZ bulgarian plate

I feel like a fool as I knew about this scam. But it just happened to me and it is very frustrating to say the least.

Trying to sell my E61 as I have been out of work since mid march and just going to rely on my wife's car for now. Had it listed on ebay for a couple of weeks, then had a message from "jojo-4403" asking for my number. Keen to sell the car, to improve the bank balance, gave him my number and a male promptly called me wanting to view in a couple of hours. Ok fine I thought, as already had a buyer pull out, so a black VW sharan on BG plates AG15RDZ with blacked out windows turns up an hour before he said. Gets out, has a look around. Asks to see winter tyres I was also offering for sale. I get one out of the garage (big mistake leaving bonnet up for him to look at), come out of the garage, maybe 20 seconds later then 2 of his mates are in the bonnet looking around, I was on to them quickly but didn't see them really doing anything other than looking. Main guy asks for a test drive, I say sure, go up the road, he says its lacking power (its not). Get back to my house, less than a mile test drive, the things smoking like an oil rig. I look under the bonnet, oil pissing out the coolant expansion cap, oil coming from around oil filter housing. I immediately say what have you done to my car, they say its broken cant buy it and scurry off in their car. But a minute later call me back offering half the asking price as its now 'broken'. Now knowing I have been scammed (as my car is perfect I know and trust it), I say its not available for sale as its broken and i have to fix it to get them to leave me alone.

Pi$$ed this has happened to me but hopefully they haven't damaged my car too much. I should have been more aware. You know when you don't think it'll happen to you, and you don't want to judge people.

Had a brief read of this topic which probably sums it up.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1745819

Be careful out there

IMG_0913[1].JPG

IMG_0912[1].JPG

IMG_0911[1].JPG

IMG_0910[1].JPG

Looks like they've poured oil into the coolant res and cracked the filter housing a hair - worth checking it's tight and check oil level.

For the coolant, just wash it outa few times with a dishwasher tablet, it'll come up eventually.

it was in the news not too long ago about this.

Usually it's a bit of oil in the coolant tank, and elsewhere to make it look like a leak. Usually it's not damaging and a quick fix.

Certainly report the plates to the Police and the guys that turned up. 

Thanks chaps, yes drained the coolant and used a couple of bottles of coolant flush. Then water until it was running clear then filled with coolant. Cruised it fast around the motorway for an hour and the smoke has just about cleared. 

B@stards  !

That's crap but at least you got it fixed for nothing but some time when pennies are tight.

Hopefully you'll get an honest buyer before long!

3 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

They really are utter vermin. Romanian gypos are the main offenders and not just cars - checking out farms to see what they can steal, including smaller livestock. Shoot on sight.

If Brexit brings any good news, it might be a chance to offload this sort of scum. 

That said - the current imbeciles in government will probably screw that up too. 

All aboard the racism bandwagon.

OP - use your spidey sense, a blacked-out Sharan with three chaps in it, coming to see my car, would have mine tingling. A ‘sorry I’ve just taken a deposit on the phone, I was going to let you know but you’re an hour early’ would have gotten rid before it started. I appreciate these things happen quickly in reality.

Aye yes these things happen, and very quickly, I was lucky it was an easy fix for me. And I should have been wiser to it. But needed to sell to sort out the bank balance for a little while.

Happily sold yesterday to some nice chaps who were very happy with it, I explained everything, and all was well. It was a great car, hopefully I can afford another one day.

2 hours ago, tornado84125 said:

I was lucky it was an easy fix for me.

Well, the only good thing about these scams is that they aren’t going to do permanent/expensive damage to the car, because they want it to be an easy fix for themselves after they’ve bought it cheap. They need it to look as terminal as possible, whilst being relatively easy to repair.

I sold a car once on Ebay, 5 turned up at my front door to collect looking rough as arseholes, "Which one of you bought the car the rest of you, back in your car or the deal is off" Selling on bmw5 or car auctions is probably safer.

On 06/06/2020 at 10:58, ttrw2 said:

All aboard the racism bandwagon.

OP - use your spidey sense, a blacked-out Sharan with three chaps in it, coming to see my car, would have mine tingling. A ‘sorry I’ve just taken a deposit on the phone, I was going to let you know but you’re an hour early’ would have gotten rid before it started. I appreciate these things happen quickly in reality.

Quick! Pull the race card! :lol:

Horrendous. Willfully damaging someone else's property in order for deceit.

Its easy to say, but I would have hit the roof had this happened to me - fair play for letting them get away.

I had similar a couple of years ago when selling a car from my shared unit (rented by 4 of us heavily into our cars), they very quickly became dis-interested once they drove into an industrial estate surrounded by immaculate cars and people twirling spanners!

Just out of interest - was it only smoking from the engine bay area or from the exhaust? If it was smoking from the exhaust I would expect the oil in the coolant had caused other damage (however I would expect oil in the cooling circuit wouldn't have caused a head-gasket failure if driven a few miles?)

9 hours ago, AlexGSi2000 said:

Just out of interest - was it only smoking from the engine bay area or from the exhaust? If it was smoking from the exhaust I would expect the oil in the coolant had caused other damage (however I would expect oil in the cooling circuit wouldn't have caused a head-gasket failure if driven a few miles?)

Sometimes they squirt a bit of oil up the exhaust to create that extra bit of atmosphere using the visual effect...