Scotty3810

Android replacement

Okay, I’ve just fitted a replacement Android plug and play head set. Everything is plugged in where it should be but the screen is dead. Nothing at all coming from the head set. What am I doing wrong?? Anyone know? The new unit came from ADC BMW, they are well known and have good reviews. It has cost me near £800 for this new unit. Any help would be great. 

Ouch! Get straight onto ADC would be my first call. Then consider making use of your consumer rights and return it for a full refund. The same units are available on ebay starting at £350 from UK suppliers. 

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss

Google is your friend....

F10 F11 fuses.jpg

And if that's no use, just check the lot.... you may find more than one gone

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Assuming you're pulling power from the headunit wiring harness it's likely to be Fuse 119 as per the wiring diagrams here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou/components-connectors/components/components-with-a/a42-headunit/ - just pick the right headunit depending on age but they all use F119 mainly - odd exception which uses 105.

I just did the same upgrade..... I'm sure you'll enjoy it...it's a massive improvement....mine was a lot less though.:rolleyes:

Spotify works great as does Tune In radio and most of the apps you can get

20200527_103408.jpg

20200527_132159.jpg

20200527_132227.jpg

20200527_132214.jpg

20200527_132245.jpg

20200527_132257.jpg

20200527_132301.jpg

20200527_132447.jpg

20200527_163940.jpg

3 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Google is your friend....

F10 F11 fuses.jpg

And if that's no use, just check the lot.... you may find more than one gone

You were bang on! However, when I replaced the fuse it just blew again as I’m putting the fuse in it blows even with everything turned off

2 hours ago, slackworth said:

Assuming you're pulling power from the headunit wiring harness it's likely to be Fuse 119 as per the wiring diagrams here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-530d-tou/components-connectors/components/components-with-a/a42-headunit/ - just pick the right headunit depending on age but they all use F119 mainly - odd exception which uses 105.

you were right mate 119, however, when I replace it it just blows again

Ok, so the question is, where is the short ?

Disconnect everything then replace the fuse. Assuming it holds, reconnect the original components and see if it holds. All a matter of narrowing down the faulty item.

If you have a multimeter you may also want to check continuity in the harnesses you were supplied. My guess would put a higher chance of a short in the new harness somewhere.

Re-reading your original post I'm also thinking about what you may have disturbed or damaged during the disassemble phase.... more checking to be done.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

12 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Ok, so the question is, where is the short ?

Disconnect everything then replace the fuse. Assuming it holds, reconnect the original components and see if it holds. All a matter of narrowing down the faulty item.

If you have a multimeter you may also want to check continuity in the harnesses you were supplied. My guess would put a higher chance of a short in the new harness somewhere.

Re-reading your original post I'm also thinking about what you may have disturbed or damaged during the disassemble phase.... more checking to be done.

That's the way I'd go - put all back to stock and replace the fuse and see if it works. If it does then start the retrofit again to see if it works 2nd time round. If it doesn't but it all works at stock then you have a faulty unit/harness - if it doesn't work at stock then you've buggered up the cars original harness along the way.

Edited by slackworth

Just a thought I want to run past you guys, when I was putting it all together, it comes with a reversing camera which sits in the boot handle, as mine is manual I was going to let someone fit it for me. One of the wires for the camera, which are part of the power lead connection, is bare wire on the end. You think this might be the reason for the short? 

Possible. Although the camera handle is dead easy to fit, I found the new one meant I lost the boot opening switch, so I retrofittted my standard handle with a separate camera head... Works great now.

Once you have the original system back in and working, you may want to try the new unit but with any unconnected wire ends taped to ensure no shorts.

Update......... it ended up being the new harness, I removed DAB and GPS aerials and sorted the dodgy bare wire and it still kept blowing. I’ve put my old unit back in and it’s fine. They are sending me a replacement harness. 

Edited by Scotty3810

On 03/06/2020 at 18:13, neilos1000 said:

I just did the same upgrade..... I'm sure you'll enjoy it...it's a massive improvement....mine was a lot less though.:rolleyes:

Spotify works great as does Tune In radio and most of the apps you can get

20200527_103408.jpg

20200527_132159.jpg

20200527_132227.jpg

20200527_132214.jpg

20200527_132245.jpg

20200527_132257.jpg

20200527_132301.jpg

20200527_132447.jpg

20200527_163940.jpg

How much was the unit you used here and where did it come from? is it CIC or NBT and does it use AUX or straight inline with the old harness no messing around? some of these units had to plug into the AUX port in the arm rest and im not liking that idea

Hi there

It came from a company called droiduk. It's NBT and plug and play...didn't need to use the aux socket. Piece of cake to fit. Initially used the hotspot off my phone but the battery was always running out when I forgot to turn it off after leaving the car....now have a data SIM.

Here's a link to the site...

https://droiduk.com/product/bmw-5-series-f10-f11-android-10/

Support is excellent...via WhatsApp and the guy answers very quickly.

Feel free to ask if you want pictures or if you want any questions answered!

Neil 

12 hours ago, neilos1000 said:

Hi there

It came from a company called droiduk. It's NBT and plug and play...didn't need to use the aux socket. Piece of cake to fit. Initially used the hotspot off my phone but the battery was always running out when I forgot to turn it off after leaving the car....now have a data SIM.

Here's a link to the site...

https://droiduk.com/product/bmw-5-series-f10-f11-android-10/

Support is excellent...via WhatsApp and the guy answers very quickly.

Feel free to ask if you want pictures or if you want any questions answered!

Neil 

Ive ordered one of their units and its on its way to me... I had planned to use my phone as a hotspot, I didn't realise the unit has a sim slot. How long have you had it installed? Any issues?

Have had it in a couple of weeks now... No issues but still kind of playing around with appearance and apps. It comes with two usb sockets which I've fed into the glovebox...music or films can be played via them.

I bought a Smarty SIM card..10 quid for 30gb on a monthly contract.

Very happy with it.

Good to see there are positive reviews of that DroidUK unit. I've been looking at them for my F11 so came here looking to see if anyone had used them.

Did you upgrade to either the reversing camera or the screen mirror module? I have to say I'm very used to them in my previous Soda Superb and would like to add that functionality.

If it's just the headunit, does it need a permanent data connection to use things like Waze? I presume it must. I have (as good as) unlimited data on my phone so would intent to use that rather than a separate SIM.

TIA

Hi..

I have an android phone so didn't need to add the mirror screen module..it's built in to the HU.

For me at least I don't have a use for mirroring...all the apps I need can be loaded on to the screen.

I did order the reverse camera but haven't fitted as yet...the HU was easy but I'm not confident about removing loads of trim to run the wiring from front to back. I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo so will get it fitted then.

But overall very happy with it...makes a massive difference to the regular screen I used to have....I have TomTom now as my default navigation ...15 quid a year for all maps and updates with traffic and speed cameras..amazing value.

Yes it does need data connection...I started using the hotspot on my phone but it kills the battery when I forget to turn off when leaving the car! So now use a SIM.

Edited by neilos1000

Thanks Neil, good to know. I'm now 99% sure I'll bite the bullet and get one.

I'll very probably get the camera and try and remember to do a tutorial, as I'm confident with trim removal etc.

One thing with the camera I did notice....I think you lose the boot release button....on my car there is a kind of rubberised button in the middle of the handle...this is not present on the camera unit. I rarely use the boot release on the tailgate...I have the bottom button on the key programmed to open and close the boot.

I'll take a picture of both to show the difference.

Neil 

Actually....scrub that last bit about losing boot release. Just taken a closer look and the release is there...just quite a bit more resistance to push the button.

You can also see the flexible rubber around the button when you look at the back of the unit

20200612_120257.jpg