Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Carrman2018

2020-2 maps now available on Download Manager

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Something’s not right with your set up. I downloaded the maps with download manager on my trusty 7 year old desktop which took around 40 minutes. Inserted a 64gb USB stick, download manager told me there were files on the USB stick so I deleted those and it wrote the update files to the usb while I ate dinner.  Put usb in the car this morning ready to upload while on my way to Swindon and 40 minutes later the update was complete. 
 

This is how it’s been for the last 6 updates between our 2 cars. 

Yeh there must have been something up, the wifi speed last night was 25mbps so not sure how that compares to others. 
I left it downloading again last night. 
It wouldn’t unzip again this morning, saying it couldn’t read the source file. 
I did another download today which took less than half the time, and it’s currently unzipping and saving to the USB as we speak, so I’m further forward now. 
Just need to plan a drive long enough to update in the car  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ally said:

Yeh there must have been something up, the wifi speed last night was 25mbps so not sure how that compares to others. 

 

Not one to brag but my Internet connection download speed was 380Mbps on Thursday when I downloaded mine :ph34r:. It does depend on the BMW download manager server too though and I have no idea what that was capable of on the day :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Not one to brag but my Internet connection download speed was 380Mbps on Thursday when I downloaded mine :ph34r:. It does depend on the BMW download manager server too though and I have no idea what that was capable of on the day :D

 

I can only dream of those speeds for now. 
The best I normally get is in the low - mid 30s. 
Vodafone gigafast is being installed throughout where I live, promising speeds in the hundreds,  but they need to run fibre in from the street in to the house, problem for me is I have a printed concrete drive and frontage so I don’t think they could get in without ruining that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, ally said:

Laborious no, PITA yes!!

For me anyway.

Commenced first download last night and it completely froze the lap top so a hard reboot was required. Deleted what was in the usb drive. Start again from scratch.

Second download was ok but took a lot of hours, paused for the night and finished the download this afternoon, only for it to tell me there was not enough room on my 64gb drive to continue after that! Deleted the usb drive, start again from scratch.

Inserted  my 126gb drive, download again, froze the lap top again. Download again, just finished the download, verified the files but now it won't unzip because it can't read the file.

pfft!

First time using this and not impressed at all. 

Are you saving the download to the USB drive and then expanding it there too? That would explain why a 64GB drive is too small (usable space is < 60GB). Even with the larger drive I wonder if the freezing and corrupt download might be related to some sleep settings interrupting the D/L. The download manager can probably deal with that but the laptop might be cutting power to the USB drive first so causing an issue. You could try downloading to a local disk and then extracting to USB, download location is configurable in the download manager (probably want to avoid locations that automatically sync with cloud locations).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nrh1703 said:

Are you saving the download to the USB drive and then expanding it there too? That would explain why a 64GB drive is too small (usable space is < 60GB). Even with the larger drive I wonder if the freezing and corrupt download might be related to some sleep settings interrupting the D/L. The download manager can probably deal with that but the laptop might be cutting power to the USB drive first so causing an issue. You could try downloading to a local disk and then extracting to USB, download location is configurable in the download manager (probably want to avoid locations that automatically sync with cloud locations).

The download manager does state "This folder (for the download) must not be located in the USB device"......................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who have never received an OTA update, I contacted BMW customer services by email about this after I bought the car (was just under 1 year old when I bought it). Despite being a BMW HQ car they still had cocked up the config ex-factory but the customer service rep was able to fix it with a few days for me. Maybe worth chasing up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2019 model and a message popped up saying map update available. I went into the i-drive settings and highlighted the available update "BMW GB,IE 2020-1" but it didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

You guys are mentioning USB sticks. How does all this work? Sorry for the daft questions, only I'm new to this kind of thing. Give me a TomTom any day:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nrh1703 said:

Are you saving the download to the USB drive and then expanding it there too? 

I did the first time, then realised there was no room for both, I then tried on a 128GB also. 
I didn’t notice where Download Manager said it has to be elsewhere than the USB drive for the download, but sure enough it worked when I downloaded to the lap top itself. 

Every day’s a school day with these things 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr H said:

The download manager does state "This folder (for the download) must not be located in the USB device"......................

I should have gone to Barnard Castle for a drive first, then I might have seen that bit :0/

Edited by ally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the download I create a desktop folder and download to that.

Took 4 hours for the whole download and unzip to the stick.

Took 28 minutes to upload To the car whilst sitting on the driveway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bmwtransit said:

I have a 2019 model and a message popped up saying map update available. I went into the i-drive settings and highlighted the available update "BMW GB,IE 2020-1" but it didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

You guys are mentioning USB sticks. How does all this work? Sorry for the daft questions, only I'm new to this kind of thing. Give me a TomTom any day:D

The one and only OTA I had just "happened" without input from me; I only noticed when I checked the map version prior to doing a full update. The USB is only used when carrying out a full map update (rather than just the local one e.g. GB, IE) via BMW Download Manager ................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr H said:

The one and only OTA I had just "happened" without input from me; I only noticed when I checked the map version prior to doing a full update. The USB is only used when carrying out a full map update (rather than just the local one e.g. GB, IE) via BMW Download Manager ................

 

Hmm... I've only really nipped to the shops and back since seeing the update notification. Wishful thinking, but I wonder if it'll update on a long(ish) drive.

Do you know if these are delivered through phone data or is there an in built SIM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bmwtransit said:

 

Hmm... I've only really nipped to the shops and back since seeing the update notification. Wishful thinking, but I wonder if it'll update on a long(ish) drive.

Do you know if these are delivered through phone data or is there an in built SIM?

 

Inbuilt SIM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would get the updated maps downloaded to my very old desktop , with a pretty basic broadband router.

ive only got 14 hours 22 minutes left to go!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Malky said:

Thought I would get the updated maps downloaded to my very old desktop , with a pretty basic broadband router.

ive only got 14 hours 22 minutes left to go!!!


Are you still on dial up Internet? Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sjak92 said:


Are you still on dial up Internet? Haha

Seems like still going this.  Morning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Malky said:

Seems like still going this.  Morning

 

Whaaaat?

 

i downloaded update for mine yesterday after seeing your post, was fully download in 2 hours. I think you need to speak to your ISP haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone had to shut the car down mid usb download? My commute is only 30 min. If I plug it in for the morning run, will it resume (if not completed) for the evening one home?

I’m keen not to corrupt the bugger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lord Farquad said:

Anyone had to shut the car down mid usb download? My commute is only 30 min. If I plug it in for the morning run, will it resume (if not completed) for the evening one home?

I’m keen not to corrupt the bugger!

Pretty well every time.

 

For the 2020 updates it updated without driving the car, by turning the car on and off about 5 times over a 24 hour period (it updated about 20% on each cycle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Malky said:

Seems like still going this.  Morning

 

You still downloading mate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

You still downloading mate? 

Yup download speed 2. I think it had a break for lunch and evening meal. Started looking for a fibre deal and a new computer. Think it 14 years old but did upgrade to Windows 10 somewhere along the line. Makes lockdown look tame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Malky said:

Yup download speed 2. I think it had a break for lunch and evening meal. Started looking for a fibre deal and a new computer. Think it 14 years old but did upgrade to Windows 10 somewhere along the line. Makes lockdown look tame


I don’t think a 14 year old machine should be running windows 10!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjak92 said:


I don’t think a 14 year old machine should be running windows 10!

You are quite correct its Windows's 7. Hardly ever use it now a days. It's now a point f princple to download

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2008 Dell Vostro 1700 (Core 2 Duo) runs windows 10 Pro OK.  As new, it came with Vista. I paid ~£25 for the W8 update, then got the W10 update for free. I've upgraded it with a 256Gb SSD and a bit more memory. It's fine for most browsing/spreadsheets/word processing jobs etc. My download speed shows at ~60Mb/s. BMW map updates usually take ~4hrs for download and unzip to USB.  I guess 14yrs puts sjak92's machine in an even older level of processor though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jonbee said:

My 2008 Dell Vostro 1700 (Core 2 Duo) runs windows 10 Pro OK.  As new, it came with Vista. I paid ~£25 for the W8 update, then got the W10 update for free. I've upgraded it with a 256Gb SSD and a bit more memory. It's fine for most browsing/spreadsheets/word processing jobs etc. My download speed shows at ~60Mb/s. BMW map updates usually take ~4hrs for download and unzip to USB.  I guess 14yrs puts sjak92's machine in an even older level of processor though.  

 

Not my machine, I'm a Apple boy and running a fairly new iMac for daily tasks. unzipping whole map took me 50 minutes yesterday running through USB 3.0 which is ok I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.