sams255

EGR cooler 2nd Recall

I got a call from snows BMW saying that they need my car in again as there is another campaign on the EGR cooler that's outstanding on it. Anyone else got another phone call ??? 

It went to them last year already and it was OK and didn't need changing

Yes, I got this a while back. BMW got nervous about all the ones that got the all-clear and decided to just change all of them. Mine got the all-clear last year but has since been recalled and now rescheduled more times than I care to remember due to the current lockdown. As luck would have it, my local dealer have recently implemented a collect and return service of which I will now be taking advantage next week. They're going to come and collect it, do the work, and then return it me at home by the end of the day. Result.

After seeing this topic I've had a look on the BMW site and can see mine has an open "technical enhancement", they make it sound like they're giving a nice upgrade :blink:

Same here and I collected it the day before lockdown closed the dealership. I had nearly waited until the weekend and glad I didn't or it would still be there now. 

First time round they said it was fine, second time they replaced it. Car was slightly more responsive afterwards as a little bonus.

Bored watching the TV and mine comes up as needing the ‘enhancement’. I followed the links and it’s let me book a slot in at the dealer tomorrow! Not even sure they are open for service so will call before I head out. 

It was done 18 months ago - surely they are not pulling them in again?

This is the message:

There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to book an online appointment for your vehicle selecting "service as required" or contact your local retailer here for more information. Enhancement code: INFO211056

Edited by McBeemer

Yes mine was recalled again the end of January 2020 for a EGR cooler replacement, and like other the year previous they said it was alright,  they also carried out a free visual health check probably as a sweetener for the inconvenience. 

Just checked mine and the same as you have all seen, it states the following "INFO211056".

I guess I will get it booked in soon as it seems my local BMW garage is open.

Sent from my Samsung S10+ using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity I just checked mine and it has the same... '' There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle.''

It was replaced in February last year just before I bought it. I'll email them and see what's what.

Just rechecked mine and now I have 2 'enhancements' outstanding - INFO211056, 0011420500

not a clue what either might be...

I just rang my nearest dealer who told me although there is an ''open technical campaign' on my car it doesn't need to come in to be checked because it had one of the new coolers fitted last year. If it starts showing any of the usual EGR cooler symptoms, losing coolant, fumes in cabin I can call to get it booked in. I wonder if they're short of technicians at the moment so trying to avoid having to deal with any more cars than necessary. I'm now going to email the service manager for confirmation.

Email sent to the service manager so I'll update here when I get a reply.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
added info

I got a quick reply from the service manager. Here's the relevant parts of what he had to say re INFO211056

''There is no need to book the vehicle in to get this carried out as there isn’t really anything to do as part of this enhancement.

The purpose for this is more guidance for BMW retailers as to how to deal with EGR related faults on vehicles when they are in with us.

All diesel BMW’s that were manufactured around the time of yours will show this enhancement as outstanding.

As you say keep an eye out for any warning messages/lights that may relate to the coolant system and let us know if you get any.  As you have had the EGR cooler replaced under a different safety recall I don’t think you have anything to worry about''.

It'll be interesting to see if others get a different response from dealers.

Edited by Cadwell Parker
Typo

Mine was booked into Sytner Tamworth this morning to check on the 'recall' notification.

They only had the car 20 mins - they checked on their system and could see the prior recall replacement in 2019 and said no need to act unless you have any issues/warnings with the car. I havent. 

They could see the revised EGR cooler was used on the recall on their system and said the 'recall' marker on the car is a cursory flag in case any further issues occur with the EGR. They implied it effectively marks it as a form of warranty but I doubt a prior replacement would stand a free replacement in future!

The COVID process is a bit of a pain but not too bad. Only thing is thy anti bacc'ed all round the centre console and start button. Given i have piano black trim it needed a proper clean when i got home.

Mine is due back in for door corrosion re-repair (minor surface corrosion on one door annoyingly). No courtesy cars allowed until at least July so 2-3 days without it i want it done but they are happy to have the car straight away as the body shop is short of work.

Dealer sales team everywhere prepping for Monday opening and one guy was collecting a nice 12 plate M Sport Tourer - at arms length!

All the AUC cars have 'COVID Clean' cards hanging off the mirrors to show the cars have been sanitised. Weird.......

So - in conclusion. If you've had the EGR done under recall in the recent past, I wouldn't bother with a visit unless you have any symptoms.

Edited by McBeemer

My 2011 530d was checked in 2019 but EGR not replaced. In the last week it has started throwing the yellow Engine Management Light on the dashboard which I can clear but comes back after 4 or so days. Error code logged is 290900 "Air system, air to EGR air mass flow, plausibility Measured air mass compared with calculated air mass too high". No fumes in cabin but some coolant loss. Checked on the BMW online recall checker which brings up the open technical enhancement (INFO211056, 0011420500) message against my VIN. Looks like I need to book it in...   :-?