Joss

535i camshaft part numbers

So some of you will know I’m currently rebuilding the 535i cylinder head. The cam lobes on no.6 have seen better days with pitting. This has caused wear on the rocker pads on this cylinder.  I have sourced a good used cam from my mate JAM as we thought they were the same on the 528 and real OEM confirms this. However the cam in my car has a different number to the one we have spare.  Original cam reads 1250 057 while the new one reads 1250 057.1 it looks the same and could be an iteration but I wanted to check before swapping 

Hi

There are two different camshafts. Blue and green stripe when new.

The blue corresponds to a 272 degree.  Green is a 260 degree.

Up to 1980 is Blue and 1980 on is green.

Worth checking the two cams to see.

4 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Hi

There are two different camshafts. Blue and green stripe when new.

The blue corresponds to a 272 degree.  Green is a 260 degree.

Up to 1980 is Blue and 1980 on is green.

Worth checking the two cams to see.

Hi M5. The cams def don’t have any colour on them. (Although one has red as I’ve just dropped in on my foot..ffs)!!! Mine is an 81 car  but the head is not original. Original cam has 494b also stamped in it and 7 on the end while the other has 0408  and then 6 stamped on the shaft with 0 in the end. We know the new cam is out of a 2.8 car

cheers for ur help btw 

it’s annoying as I used to post loads of pictures to help with this sort of stuff but phone picture sizes are so large now you can’t add them anymore 

Edited by Joss

Just had a look at my original cam 

numbers are between 1 and 2 lobes 250 057  no number 1 

also underneath that number 567C 

Between lobes 5 and 6 the word  BMW and the blue stripe is either side of BMW (faint traces left)

At the number 6 end of the cam the number 7 is stamped.

Think yourself lucky your foot was in the way. I was once delivered a schrick cam that was in two pieces. Lost £300.

It might be that you do not have the original 272 degree cam. My car is a 1980 build date.

18 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Just had a look at my original cam 

numbers are between 1 and 2 lobes 250 057  no number 1 

also underneath that number 567C 

Between lobes 5 and 6 the word  BMW and the blue stripe is either side of BMW (faint traces left)

At the number 6 end of the cam the number 7 is stamped.

Think yourself lucky your foot was in the way. I was once delivered a schrick cam that was in two pieces. Lost £300.

It might be that you do not have the original 272 degree cam. My car is a 1980 build date.

Yep that’s exactly as mine is with the bmw stamp so the original is a 272 cam. Thanks mate. Does the 260 cam make any difference with power?  

Edited by Joss

That is good that you have the right cam. I think you would notice a difference. Only experienced the 260 degree in the later e28 and e34. The change was with the change towards the motronic injection/ ignition.

I think the e12 M535i is a little more raw than the later cars which I like. The throttle response of the e12 feels sharper to me.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

That is good that you have the right cam. I think you would notice a difference. Only experienced the 260 degree in the later e28 and e34. The change was with the change towards the motronic injection/ ignition.

I think the e12 M535i is a little more raw than the later cars which I like. The throttle response of the e12 feels sharper to me.

problem is the original cam is damaged 

While the cams are out you could take a template of the original cam. Thin metal sheet with a hole the diameter of the cam at the lobe drilled in it. Cut the sheet in half with a tin snips. Place the two halves next to the lobe and scribe the profile.

Check the match with the new cam. They should be an exact match. 

Haynes manual lists e12 528 UK as a 268 degree 14/54 inlet and 54/14 exhaust at a clearance of 0.5mm. The only specs that I have for the M535i is that it is 272 degree. 

When you rebuild your engine you can check with a degree wheel and a dial gauge to check timing. You can sometimes set the cam slightly advanced which improves mid range acceleration.

M535i's retained L Jetronic until the very end, whilst everything else went to Motronic in 9/80. The cams don't interchange as the front nose section is different. Motronic 1.1 as it was then used longer inlet reacts to improve torque at lower engine speeds - mainly for the more common  automatics - and the cam was reprofiled to suit. The cam in the 525i was really tame at 252 degrees. 

The best option is a Schrick cam with around 280 degrees - that'll give it some extra sparkle. The extra .1 on the end of the part number means nothing btw.