Dave4194

Alloy Corrosion - Warranty?

Hi all,

I had my car in at BMW this morning after sending them the attached photos of corrosion on all 4 alloys. After a brief search it seems like this white worm corrosion is common and a number of people have been able to get BMW to replace the alloys under warranty. Some it seems had issues with the dealer not accepting a replacement if the alloy had evidence of kerbing/previous refurb, but others said this didn't void the warranty - particular if the corrosion was clearly prominent and unrelated to kerbing.

The dealer told me that the corrosion on the spokes is likely due to a stone chip and water getting in, which they wont cover under warranty, and the corrosion around the hub which do know to be an issue they also wont do anything about because evidence of kerbing/previous refurb around the edges has voided the warranty. Obviously i'm really not happy with this but i was told this was the warranty manager's position as BMW would just throw any claim out.

I could try another dealership but would be very grateful for any advice on whether i should be able to pursue this further, and if so how?

Thanks.

Front Driver.jpg

Front Passenger.jpg

Rear Driver.jpg

Rear Passenger.jpg

Absolute bollocks. This is why I hate diamond cut alloys, slightest imperfection in the clear top coat, water gets underneath and blisters. 

It is 100% a warranty claim. Have had two replaced on my X5 so far. This has been an issue for decades now. Don't let the dealer play you and stand your ground. 

That's my feeling too! How can i go about forcing the issue - can i force them to make the claim to BMW on my behalf anyway? or do i have to contact BMW direct somehow?

Just received the attached from the dealer...

I think that dealerships that refuse a claim for corrosion of the hubs because of previous kerbing refurbishment are misinterpreting this. I read this to say that it is a warranty claim unless there is clear outside influence (of the affected area) - which is perfectly understandable.

IMG_2743.jpg

Trouble is, outside influence such as "stone chips, etc" gives them an awful lot of wriggle room. Perhaps they should be required to provide evidence of how they "identified" such??

Rubbish, push them, just keep on, that should be a warranty claim. One of my rears is going all over which I'll get sorted once everything is back to normal. As said earlier diamond cut alloys are just hateful.

I have had quite a few alloys from BMW and Mini replaced under warranty in the past, but, each one was immaculate around the rim etc. So, they have either changed policy or your dealer is not being very helpful.

Really need to go back and get a clear understanding of where they say the ingress is to affect the centre then if not satisfied an email then letter to BMW. It’s not a cost to the dealer so going to BMW will likely get a compromise at the least, maybe the lot.

22 hours ago, Dave4194 said:

Just received the attached from the dealer...

I think that dealerships that refuse a claim for corrosion of the hubs because of previous kerbing refurbishment are misinterpreting this. I read this to say that it is a warranty claim unless there is clear outside influence (of the affected area) - which is perfectly understandable.

IMG_2743.jpg

I would agree, its warranty unless there is an outside influence that has caused the corrosion around the hub and a repaired kurb graze on the rim is not outside influence for that corrosion 

I never quite understand some dealers who stand in the way of Customer Service. Do they get paid by BMW to order and replace the wheels? Yes, will the customer be happy? Yes, provided it is all within the process, what is the issue.

I know many people on here have mentioned the importance to build up a good report with the dealer, or, a SA. I have had the same SA since I have had BMW's and I KNOW that really works. So, guys, if you have a BMW and its gonna be a keeper, build the relationship.

18 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

I never quite understand some dealers who stand in the way of Customer Service. Do they get paid by BMW to order and replace the wheels? Yes, will the customer be happy? Yes, provided it is all within the process, what is the issue.

I know many people on here have mentioned the importance to build up a good report with the dealer, or, a SA. I have had the same SA since I have had BMW's and I KNOW that really works. So, guys, if you have a BMW and its gonna be a keeper, build the relationship.

Very true, and to be clear i must say the service advisor has always been very helpful - i understand she's only telling me what she has been told. Latest is she is going to see what she can do and come back to me, so hopefully the service manager/head of business might step in before BMW get back to me but we'll see.

On 21/05/2020 at 13:12, sjak92 said:

Absolute bollocks. This is why I hate diamond cut alloys, slightest imperfection in the clear top coat, water gets underneath and blisters. 

Completely agree. I'd actually avoid buying a car with diamond cut/lacquered wheels for this exact reason.

Hugely expensive to refurb as well, they're really not practical on real world vehicles.  

If this is always going to be an issue, would it not be worth when eventually getting them refurbed getting them painted silver or whatever colour instead of the diamond cut. I know it shouldn’t even come to that and I’m thinking more long term once out of warranty etc. 

We've just bought a 3yr old 430i cabrio and opted for the wheel and tyre insurance - £399 for three years, 19" diamond cut wheels which can be refurbed up to 5 times and up to 7 new tyres. Will, of course, require that the wheels and tyres are pristine when taking it out but might be a way forward once out of the original warranty.

1 hour ago, StratTech said:

We've just bought a 3yr old 430i cabrio and opted for the wheel and tyre insurance - £399 for three years, 19" diamond cut wheels which can be refurbed up to 5 times and up to 7 new tyres. Will, of course, require that the wheels and tyres are pristine when taking it out but might be a way forward once out of the original warranty.

£399 could be worthwhile for getting them refurbed especially just before insurance runs out. 

On 23/05/2020 at 16:45, Loadmaster said:

Completely agree. I'd actually avoid buying a car with diamond cut/lacquered wheels for this exact reason.

Hugely expensive to refurb as well, they're really not practical on real world vehicles.  

I'm not arguing for or against DiamondCut alloys but we have them on our F45 and they are are £75 for a refurb at Diamond Styling in Kent which isn't particularly expensive I don't think.

18 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I'm not arguing for or against DiamondCut alloys but we have them on our F45 and they are are £75 for a refurb at Diamond Styling in Kent which isn't particularly expensive I don't think.

That does sound reasonable - not a lot different to regular alloys.