ali240

E60 545I Red Gear Syncro warning ?!?!?

Hello!

Recently took delivery of a E60 545i with a red gear syncro warning on the dash?

Anyone able to shed some light and point me in the right direction? 

Edited by ali240

13 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

Hi. Have you checked fault codes? Need to do that first of all and also check clutch pack adaptations. Thats the start.

Im trying to get somebody with a code reader to come out to me, unfortunately not many people want to! Hopefully get it to my indi this week somehow!! 

Could be anything, needs its codes read.  It could a dodgy cam sensor or a worn out E clutch in the autobox. Either would give the red cog of death.  Been there.:(

Unfortunately, the box has failed and will need to be replaced!:|  Box will be sourced over the next weeks!! 

In the meanwhile, does anyone know if 545i Coilovers are the same as the rest of the variants? 

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What was the problem with the box?  Mine roasted its E-clutch.

Im not actually sure whats gone wrong with it! All I know is, I will need a new box! :wacko:

To be honest it is bit weird that you was not told what actually gone wrong with it. It is possible it still can be saved.

It is quite possible it had suffered E clutch failure and that means it needs rebuild,but that will cost you at least 2k or more if you need all solenoids,so get answers of actual problem and go from there.

A few years ago I used to get a gear-shaped light once a months or so when starting the car. Switching it off and re-starting made it go away. It was a actually a drivetrain warning not a transmission warning light  specifically, and it was a weak coil pack on the engine. After I replaced all six coil packs I never saw it again. My transmission was and is just fine.  I learnt from that not to jump to conclusions !

Edited by Tuvoc

19 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

To be honest it is bit weird that you was not told what actually gone wrong with it. It is possible it still can be saved.

It is quite possible it had suffered E clutch failure and that means it needs rebuild,but that will cost you at least 2k or more if you need all solenoids,so get answers of actual problem and go from there.

I used my Indi to come and check it out, been using them for years and they work next door to me so trust his word! He basically said it was dead and needs a box!

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

A few years ago I used to get a gear-shaped light once a months or so when starting the car. Switching it off and re-starting made it go away. It was a actually a drivetrain warning not a transmission warning light  specifically, and it was a weak coil pack on the engine. After I replaced all six coil packs I never saw it again. My transmission was and is just fine.  I learnt from that not to jump to conclusions !

Unfortunately, mine is on constantly and the car doesn't even move once gears are selected. I can put it in drive or reverse or flick through the gears and nothing happens!

2 hours ago, ali240 said:

I used my Indi to come and check it out, been using them for years and they work next door to me so trust his word! He basically said it was dead and needs a box!

Unfortunately, mine is on constantly and the car doesn't even move once gears are selected. I can put it in drive or reverse or flick through the gears and nothing happens!

Does he actually know what he’s doing with these cars and boxes or was that just his ‘judgement’?

Personally I’d be getting someone who knows what they’re doing re thieve boxes to check it over and give you their professional opinion

What codes were shown and which code reader did he use?

It wants a proper diagnostic read. A decent machine will pull fault codes which can then be checked against transmission fault codes. 4F85 is the dreaded E clutch fault code. Cure as mentioned earlier is to refurbish the box which can vary from just under £2k to over £3k.