oldjohnny

BMW 645i V8 Auto.

Anyone have any experience of one of these beasties?  2005 with 120K and full history.  Probably lucky to get over 20mpg from the 4.4lt  V8 petrol but as I don't do a lot of mileage nowdays I am sorely tempted.  Reckon about the £3000 mark to get it less the trade in on my 2003 530d.

$_32.JPG

$_32.JPG

$_32.JPG

OOOPS!

Just phoned a friend of a friend who works in a main BMW garage.   His description of this model was as follows.

"Your two happiest days of ownership with the 645 will be the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it".

Very susceptible to electrical woes and generally troublesome, so that's the end of that methinks.

42 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

OOOPS!

Just phoned a friend of a friend who works in a main BMW garage.   His description of this model was as follows.

"Your two happiest days of ownership with the 645 will be the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it".

Very susceptible to electrical woes and generally troublesome, so that's the end of that methinks.

Renowned for oil leaks (valve stem oil seals etc) and yes, electrical niggles.

You'll either get a decent one (ie.spend more £££ ) or you'll get a duff one and it'll cost you a fortune!

I test drove the 630i, 645i and 650i and out of all of them, I'd have the 630i TBH, but the 650i would give you the V8 grins too ;) IT's deffo worth it over the 645i from the reading I've done, but still with those issues lurking in the background.

I had enough issues with a previous E65 730D with electrics to put me off the E6x range completely 

The N62 is a nuclear bomb of an engine, it goes like stink, with a tremendous V8 bellow, it will pull like a train all day.  When you press the loud pedal, the nose will rear up as the back end squats down and the horizon appears quickly, and you can scare Porsche drivers.......

....when its not leaking oil from literally every joint in its entire engine bay.

42 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Renowned for oil leaks (valve stem oil seals etc)

plus the upper timing chain covers x 2, cylinder head cover x 2, lower timing chain covers x2, vacuum pump to upper timing chain seal, the vanos to upper timing chain cover seals x4 and the worst of all, the dreaded alternator bracket oil leak which requires supporting the engine to remove the nearside engine mount to get to it.

I appeared to have a rare E60 with an N62  in that I didn't get electrical gremlins.

But its a V8 and nothing else matters.  Everyone needs to own a V8 at some time, before the loonies that run the country ban them. They are ULEZ compliant too.

I was looking at these 12mths ago and following advice from learned fellow forum members decided against the V8 and plumped for a low owner full history 630i,

12months on i still look forward to every drive in it,

As Andrew says everyone should own a V8 at some stage,

I,ve been looking at American cars as we have a long standing importer and dealer not far from us and one will definetly be on the cards before too long but the 630i will be staying also.

Many thanks.

My reason for contemplating the V8 came about following a request from a friend (who deals a bit) to go with him to collect and drive back a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8.  It refueled my desire to listen to this gurgle for ever when driving anywhere.  As you say, everyone should have or drive one before they leave the planet.

Hi 

Old Johnny - As per above and your own research and requirements, do consider and evaluate this and similar V8 E63 6 series as when they are looked after and maintained well, they are indeed good/great cars. Like any larger BMW the engine'drivetrain and electronics are all complex so it comes down to ongoing running costs in keeping everything running well. 

740mick - Me and Bro have had 2 2003 F150 Harley Davidson Anniversary Edition's trucks now! first we imported in from Texas when it was around 5 months old and kept it 7/8 years and the second was 2015'ish and only held onto that for just under a year as wanted to free up cash for business investment purposes. There's some excellent USA vehicle choices if you want something interesting and a good section of the enthusiast car market here for USA stuff - definitely consider something !

First one - F150HD.jpg

Second one - Dub%2024%20fitted%202_zps687zlyeb.jpg

Lowered the suspension on the 1st within a few months of having it and it drove and felt much better, was toying with the option to change the exhaust but even in standard form, the exhaust note was great, never got around to it in the end! The second one we lowered right away as already had the kit on order just after purchasing and waiting to collect it and also put the 24'S on too!

Will get something from the US again at some point in the future. What kind of car/truck are you thinking about ?

Cheers, Dennis!

Not really set on any particular make or model Dennis,year 2000 on Mustangs,Camaros or Challengers would be nice,

Its just a box i,ve wanted to tick for a few years now,probably not rational but feel its something i want to own before its too late.

I know what you mean about the V8 itch. FWIW we had a mustang (albeit V6) in the US as a hire car. It made perfect sense for the roads there, it was cheap and cheerful and did the job admirably.

It was well equipped reasonably frugal but when you put your foot down after about 3.5k it just made more noise but as i say i suited the country.

Coming back to the UK i jumped in my then 523i touring with 160 odd K and it was streets ahead.

I worry that the UK just wouldn't suit that kind of car

Thanks for the comments DennisCooper.   I must admit that had I been aware, (before buying) of the many and varied problems associated with my old E60 530d I wouldn't have touched it at all.  Yes, I have spent more than usual over the past few years and don't regret any of it.  The return has been a big saloon a cut above the rest so the 645 V8 may yet get further consideration. You only live once, and not for much longer if something other than draught Dettol isn't discovered shortly. :ph34r:

9 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

draught Dettol isn't discovered shortly. :ph34r:

You been listening to Trump recently? :P

Didn't the aforementioned Donald whinge that there were too many German cars in America compared to the number of American cars in Germany?

Answer is Europeans will noot put up with a dashboard that resembles a wheelie bin and general poor fit and finish of cars from the US.  Why buy some guff from America when there are Audi, BMW and Mercedes to run around in.

The selling point domestically is US cars are cheap, a mustang bullet list price starts at $47k / £38.5k as an example.

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

You been listening to Trump recently? :P

Didn't the aforementioned Donald whinge that there were too many German cars in America compared to the number of American cars in Germany?

Answer is Europeans will noot put up with a dashboard that resembles a wheelie bin and general poor fit and finish of cars from the US.  Why buy some guff from America when there are Audi, BMW and Mercedes to run around in.

The build quality of all modern USA cars is absolutely fine and it's an old, out dated myth to think they're poor fit and finish. Lets not mention any more about Chump.

As for pricing, then yes, domestically in the USA, the cars are cheap and look like more of a bargain when UK enthusiasts look at list prices over there. Obviously, once imported in, the equivalent cost to have a car here makes it considerably more expensive than what a US customer would pay in equivalence. With our exchange rates much lower than they used to be, the pricing differential and end cost to a UK customer is significantly more expensive too.

Cheers, Dennis!

Sure, the electrics in a 6 are prone to issues, but they’re the same electrics and same issues you get in an E60. If the electrics wouldn’t put you off buying a 520d, then they shouldn’t put you off a 645.

8 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

The build quality of all modern USA cars is absolutely fine and it's an old, out dated myth to think they're poor fit and finish. Lets not mention any more about Chump.

As for pricing, then yes, domestically in the USA, the cars are cheap and look like more of a bargain when UK enthusiasts look at list prices over there. Obviously, once imported in, the equivalent cost to have a car here makes it considerably more expensive than what a US customer would pay in equivalence. With our exchange rates much lower than they used to be, the pricing differential and end cost to a UK customer is significantly more expensive too.

Cheers, Dennis!

Really don't know about that Dennis.

The last time we hired a car in the US was in 2017. It was a Chrysler Voyager which was a few months old and the auto transmission was awful. Felt like we were riding in an early 80s Ford Cortina automatic.

2 hours ago, Spandex said:

Sure, the electrics in a 6 are prone to issues, but they’re the same electrics and same issues you get in an E60. If the electrics wouldn’t put you off buying a 520d, then they shouldn’t put you off a 645.

Yup; same that were in my E65 730D

And on that basis, never again will I touch an E6x range car (unless I'm daft enough to buy a 650i because I wanna) :lol: 

9 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Dennis they're white goods nothing more, the fit and finish of the mustang was fine but lots of exposed screws, painted metal and cheap materials.

It didn't rattle and was enjoyable but they're still built to a budget - perhaps with more automated care/ better tolerance than cars of old but a "premium" European car is still a nicer place to sit - its not me dissing them, for what they are and a VFM perspective they're fine but...

53 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Really don't know about that Dennis.

The last time we hired a car in the US was in 2017. It was a Chrysler Voyager which was a few months old and the auto transmission was awful. Felt like we were riding in an early 80s Ford Cortina automatic.

Hi Loadmaster,

Hire cars can be relatively abused examples so a auto transmission that felt woolly and lethargic is perhaps to be expected with a heightened disappointment after coming out of your 540i for a week or two ! 

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Dennis they're white goods nothing more, the fit and finish of the mustang was fine but lots of exposed screws, painted metal and cheap materials.

It didn't rattle and was enjoyable but they're still built to a budget - perhaps with more automated care/ better tolerance than cars of old but a "premium" European car is still a nicer place to sit - its not me dissing them, for what they are and a VFM perspective they're fine but...

Hi Duncan,

Agreed they're built to a price, I'd say most US Ford/Chrysler/GM and domestic brand cars are the same build quality level as UK / Euro entry and mid level brand cars. Whenever I am USA side, I do ask the hire place if I can get into a normal Dodge Charger or Malibu and it's only once they didn't have any and given I was only in that one city for 3 days, I took a compact sized car, I think it was a Focus. Overall, I think I've about 15-20K miles driving distance in the US and perhaps 60-70% of it on Interstates. The Malibu's and Chargers have been very pleasant cars to drive and haven't thought they feel particularly 'low rent'. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Never said "low rent" nor that they are not fit for purpose or that you can't happily cover the miles ( we did 1000 in 3 days) or that they won't do stellar miles but they are not premium European. A Golf / 3 series etc feels nicer.

That may be ford v VW v BMW thing but you can't sell them at the price they do and expect them to be comparable.

I don,t want an American muscle car for its fit and finish,i want it for its V8 and its kerbside appeal (for me anyway),

I think it stems from childhood where a close neighbour had a blue metal flake Charger with silver Starsky n Hutch style stripe on and big chrome slot mags,

Wally Mullen you were the coolest man in the village with that car.

6 hours ago, 740mick said:

I don,t want an American muscle car for its fit and finish,i want it for its V8 and its kerbside appeal (for me anyway),

That would be o.k. Just drive everywhere with the windows down to hear it.

I always wanted a V8 after as a child spending every Saturday night listening to the bellows coming from a certain orange Dodge Charger being raced around Hazzard County.:lol:  The noise it makes was epic, but because the stock N62 lumps are German they are ruthlessly well refined with their acoustic panels and exhausts compared to a hemi and are surprisingly lacking in any V8 burble.  You get more burble from the Rover 3.5 in a Discovery than from an N62.  Until you get them wound up to north of 4,000 rpm, but then you need to back off as you are now at the point that you were looking at a few seconds ago. ;)

Go on you know you want a V8. :D

Thanks to everyone for the posts and comments on the V8.  I will never know with this one as it was gone before I could even get to see it.     I do, however feel this is not the end of the story.

On 14/05/2020 at 22:15, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup; same that were in my E65 730D

And on that basis, never again will I touch an E6x range car (unless I'm daft enough to buy a 650i because I wanna) :lol: 

The E65s were the first model to implement iDrive, and the electronics were notoriously less reliable than the models that followed. Particularly the early E65s, where the iDrive system was actually based on WinCE (!).

Obviously personal experience can cloud the judgement when it comes to reliability - I've owned a 645i, an E60 545i, an e61 520d and an e61 525i (and a 4.8l E70, which I guess has a lot of the same electronics) and have had no issues with electrics at all, that I remember. In fact, the only major problem I had was a terrifying intermittent brake booster failure on the 645i, although that was subsequently the subject of a recall for all 4.4l V8 models, so hopefully won't give anyone else the heart attack it gave me.

1 hour ago, Spandex said:

The E65s were the first model to implement iDrive, and the electronics were notoriously less reliable than the models that followed. Particularly the early E65s, where the iDrive system was actually based on WinCE (!).

Obviously personal experience can cloud the judgement when it comes to reliability - I've owned a 645i, an E60 545i, an e61 520d and an e61 525i (and a 4.8l E70, which I guess has a lot of the same electronics) and have had no issues with electrics at all, that I remember. In fact, the only major problem I had was a terrifying intermittent brake booster failure on the 645i, although that was subsequently the subject of a recall for all 4.4l V8 models, so hopefully won't give anyone else the heart attack it gave me.

Yup; appreciate that.

Mine was an 06, so not an early one and overall it was a bloody good car and a lovely place to be...  but all those niggles I had put me off the range full stop. One fixed, then another would crop up. It got boring very quickly

But as said; I'd reconsider if I found a very nice 650i or 630i etc... Both are still superb cars IMO, but I'd have to go to town on them checking them over before I even thought about buying one etc...