Y15HAL

Cleaning wheel arches

What’s the best way to clean arches....?

I have what looks like dried grass stuck on mine :( 

AEAA8CAA-F5C4-4234-B921-FA3B54ECF9CC.thumb.jpeg.34172ad06b5ff7c5616fd037a19a1150.jpeg

I use a long handled washing up brush to give a good scrub when dry to get the worse off and loosen the crud. I then use an all purpose cleaner to spray and leave for a few minutes before pressure washing. Only problem is it only lasts for a few drives and you need to do it again

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Blast with pressure washer and a scrub, bit futile though.  I have been known to scrub everything under the arches with Autoglym degreaser as it makes the plastics come up really well.

Although someone had great results with washing up liquid and a rag. 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Blast with pressure washer and a scrub, bit futile though.  I have been known to scrub everything under the arches with Autoglym degreaser as it makes the plastics come up really well.

Although someone had great results with washing up liquid and a rag. 

Thanks Andrew :) 

Is it that carpet like stuff under the arches? Have that on my F21 and on the face if it looks like it will just trap all the dirt and moisture.

@535i Andrew which Autoglym is that? I have the engine and amchine cleaner which is a degreaser.

4 minutes ago, KitsonRis said:

@535i Andrew which Autoglym is that? I have the engine and amchine cleaner which is a degreaser.

T'is indeed, the purple square one.  I buy it 3 for 2 in Halfords.

It says its good on plastics and gets them to shine up for 5 minutes, well the ones under the bonnet anyway.....

14 minutes ago, KitsonRis said:

Is it that carpet like stuff under the arches? Have that on my F21 and on the face if it looks like it will just trap all the dirt and moisture.

On the F10 the carpet bits under the wheel arches are fitted to plastic wheel arch liners so its insulated if you like from the bodywork. 

I've removed both fronts and the nearside rear liners for other jobs and given them a clean before re-fitting.  But before you do that, buy some spare plastic rivets as you will inevitably end up breaking some.

As above really

But I use one of these and it works really well: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greyghost-Cleaning-Multi-Functional-Plastic-Washing/dp/B07R1HWP2T/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=tyre+cleaning+brush&qid=1589535698&sr=8-12

If you can get in there and give it a good scrub to release all the engrined grit & dirt etc; it'll clean up really well and then give it a good blast with the power washer etc

45 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Behave yourself Daniel! :lol:  Lol that's just an expensive dish washing brush that are pennies from any supermarket.I have a collection in my garage bought for pennies years ago that are so far proving indestructible for cleaning such things.

But I like your thinking in that I'm not the only one who scrubs wheel arch liners.;)

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Behave yourself Daniel! :lol:  Lol that's just an expensive dish washing brush that are pennies from any supermarket.I have a collection in my garage bought for pennies years ago that are so far proving indestructible for cleaning such things.

But I like your thinking in that I'm not the only one who scrubs wheel arch liners.;)

These are a lot stiffer pal; washing up brushes are too soft ;) 

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

On the F10 the carpet bits under the wheel arches are fitted to plastic wheel arch liners so its insulated if you like from the bodywork. 

I've removed both fronts and the nearside rear liners for other jobs and given them a clean before re-fitting.  But before you do that, buy some spare plastic rivets as you will inevitably end up breaking some.

Next time I clean my car at my dad's I will use that stuff under the arches, I don't have an external tap.

Ahh didn't realise they were on plastic liners, but I haven't really poked about on my 1 series.

Megs APC or any domestic APC with a stuff brush and blasted with pressure washer. I leave it to dwell for 5mins whilst I clean the alloys. then whilst cleaning the arch I also use APC to clan the tyre ready for tyre dressing post completion of the wash