greenelekta

When BMW Raced a 7 Series

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

South African 745i which had the M5 motor if i recall (without reading)

Correct! It differed to the European 745i that had a turbo M102/M106 engine.

Used to be one out in the 'Slick 50 Road Saloons' in the early 90's, it couldn't match the Capri's and Rover SD1's but it looked a lot of fun,  it was a big old boat :mrgreen:

Snet90.jpg

Cadwell 91.jpg

17 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I know it was a LHD to RHD issue but always seemed an odd choice of motor for a 7.

Yeah, the turbo engine of the Euro 745i couldn't fit in the RHD cars. I'm guessing BMW South Africa wanted a more powerful model than the 735i. 

During this period, a 325i S (different from the Euro 325i) with a 2.7 engine fettled by Alpina and a 333i with a 3.2 engine was offered as the M3 was not available in South Africa. Again a LHD to RHD issue. Due to the engine size in the 333i, owners had to choose between A/C or Power Steering. Most owners chose A/C because of the heat in South Africa.

Yeh SA got some interesting stuff. Lots of V6 Cortinas too including the XR6 which we didn't get, Mk 3 Bakkies and the Perena Capri.

21 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Yeh SA got some interesting stuff. Lots of V6 Cortinas too including the XR6 which we didn't get, Mk 3 Bakkies and the Perena Capri.

Not to mention the Sierra 5.0L XR8 B)

On 08/05/2020 at 16:28, DerekJr. said:

Yeah, the turbo engine of the Euro 745i couldn't fit in the RHD cars. I'm guessing BMW South Africa wanted a more powerful model than the 735i. 

During this period, a 325i S (different from the Euro 325i) with a 2.7 engine fettled by Alpina and a 333i with a 3.2 engine was offered as the M3 was not available in South Africa. Again a LHD to RHD issue. Due to the engine size in the 333i, owners had to choose between A/C or Power Steering. Most owners chose A/C because of the heat in South Africa.

On the 333i, the problem was that the M30's length meant that the extra front pulley to have both PAS and AC wouldn't fit. These were the days of separate belts for everything. Later cars such as the Alpina B6S got around this with different radiator and relocated engine, moving it back a tad.