Sign in to follow this  
DanMcQ

Early memory seats in a late car

Hi there, 

I've searched the forum and seen the hcp  post about putting memory seats in a non memory car.  He spliced into the main board with power and ground to get the seat working without the memory function. Does anyone know what live and ground to use? I can't make head nor tail of it. I know the thicker wires would be mains but I'm not getting anything with them. the seats are from an early 3.6 m5 and are going into a late 540 with manual seats. I have located the white connector under the carpet and worked out power and earth on that, can anyone point me in the right direction of the seat wiring? Thanks

15884331926734619752299474302580.thumb.jpg.d1c91c472738066a36ffd4292cc37fe1.jpg

15884332201093751554705950388995.thumb.jpg.ae226c596044b0148930331a3a855e79.jpg

the cars plug is pre wired, if the drivers seat is memory then there is a an extra loom that joins between the seat loom and the car iirc. As I fitted memory seats to my old M5.  If its a non memory seat then the seat loom and car loom plug straight up.  tried Colour matching the wires to see if it all fires up?

It's a long time ago now but I once fitted memory seats to a manual seat optioned M5 and after fid the loom beneath the carpet I think I just used a voltmeter to indentify the loom positive and negative and an online wiring diagram to identify what to connect just those two wires to on the seats; then I just jumped those two wires over.

On the control unit the white plug which goes to the left connector on your picture has the main power +12v and gnd. The 12v goes in the row with 3 pins op top (next to the tringle plastic pin). Ground all the way on the other side (next to the round plastic pin).

If you had the memory harness you would find +12v and ground where I stuck the multimeter leads in the attached picture.

power-plug.jpg

Have a go connecting them. If it doesn't work you might also need to connect that other ground in the white plug. I have done this before on a e32...but that was 15 years ago...so not sure if you need the 2nd ground :-)

If you can't find the location of the other ground on the white plug let me know and I'll get the bit of wiring and multimeter out again.

3 hours ago, Johan said:

Have a go connecting them. If it doesn't work you might also need to connect that other ground in the white plug. I have done this before on a e32...but that was 15 years ago...so not sure if you need the 2nd ground :-)

If you can't find the location of the other ground on the white plug let me know and I'll get the bit of wiring and multimeter out again.

Thanks for taking the time Johan, appreciate it and will let you know how I go

Dan

8 hours ago, sharkfan said:

It's a long time ago now but I once fitted memory seats to a manual seat optioned M5 and after fid the loom beneath the carpet I think I just used a voltmeter to indentify the loom positive and negative and an online wiring diagram to identify what to connect just those two wires to on the seats; then I just jumped those two wires over.

Thanks for the reply sharkfan,  I will give what Johan suggested a go and see where I'm at. Appreciate you taking the time

Dan

9 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

the cars plug is pre wired, if the drivers seat is memory then there is a an extra loom that joins between the seat loom and the car iirc. As I fitted memory seats to my old M5.  If its a non memory seat then the seat loom and car loom plug straight up.  tried Colour matching the wires to see if it all fires up?

Hi Bumbaclut, it was months since I had a study at them. The cars going for a stainless exhaust this week which prompted me to sort out a few thingsbefore it goes. I had a mess around with some information I seen online and had no luck. When I disconnect the motor plugs and direct wire to them they work, so the seat is working. I'll have a go with Johans instruction. Thanks for the reply

Dan