ExAMG

Winters are off

Car is now back on its summer wheels. 
my winters are 18” 684’s with Goodyear Ultragrip 8’s wrapped around them. Pleased to see the wear across the treads is pretty even.

one thing I forgot to do was measure the new tread depth when they went on.

anyone got the info?

Pretty late removing the winters?

Mine came off early March, maybe due to being a bit more south in tropical Kent!

Sorry, I don't have the tread depth you are looking for as mine are the 19inch  Pirelli's , but I thought normal as new depths was around 8mm, max 9mm

Mine are still on as the summers are under lock and key in the BMW "hotel"! Still, haven't used the car for 5 weeks now ........................

I really should bother to do mine, but lacking reason to do it the car barely does any miles at the moment.

I have even treated myself to some new alignment pins, torque wrench and a "spare" mains powered impact wrench (as knowing my luck I will forget to charge the main one).

I think this week might change that though.

My winters are still on but after all it was only 2 degrees here and still frosty when I went out at 5 this morning so no big issue. I’ll probably change them this week though. Only been doing a run to ASDA once a week for the last 5 weeks at 4 miles each way and even that’s stopped now as we’ve decided to get it delivered instead so not really much of an issue. 

Why is diesel so cheap when I don’t need it? (Yes, I know the answer! :unsure: )

Edited by Boba

Well I hope there is more than 8mm when new or my fronts have not worn!

Thank you @Matthew Ashton, just what I was after.

so, 0.7 gone from the fronts and 1.3 from the rears.

Happy with that. At this rate they shall last 20 years with my reduced usage! 

To join the flood (?) I swapped back to my summer 19”s today.

When I checked the tyre pressures after refitting three were at 35lbs and one at 36lbs. Not bad after 6 months considering that 35lbs is what I run them at and (likely) what they were when I swapped them off. Staggered so I swapped them side to side, I always chalk on them which corner they came from. Forgotten they were so damn heavy!

Edited by Boba

16 minutes ago, Boba said:

To join the flood (?) I swapped back to my summer 19”s today.

When I checked the tyre pressures after refitting three were at 35lbs and one at 36lbs. Not bad after 6 months considering that 35lbs is what I run them at and (likely) what they were when I swapped them off. Staggered so I swapped them side to side, I always chalk on them which corner they came from. Forgotten they were so damn heavy!

They are dam heavy, hence i always take them in the boot to the local tyre garage to swop them over. Reasonable cost of £20 for the 4, so £40 for the year for a simple change over.

I am always surprised at how well the tyres hold their pressures over the months. When I used to live in a hot climate my tyres needed pumping up at least every 2 or 3 weeks. On the G31, rarely touch them season to season.

16 hours ago, Boba said:

Forgotten they were so damn heavy!

That's why I get Audi and BMW to do the "adult" cars leaving me to do the two kiddy cars: 15"-ers are so much easier to lug around!!

I only got mine done on Friday, forgot how bumpy and loud the ride is on the 20s but like OP my good year ultra grip nice and even wear, I think mine was 8mm when new. 

Hi All, I am planning to get a set of the Goodyear Ultragrip for the coming winter.  I already have a set of 18" style 618 wheels to put them on.  Am I right in thinking that the Goodyear Ultragrip are available as BMW Star marked both as runflat and standard tyres?  I know this has been done to death but are most going for RFT or not?

The Goodyears are definitely star marked as runflat (that's what I have); I chose runflat over gunk!

Run on flat. 
I learnt from my F10 that ROF summers make ROF winters Feel awful

Edited by ExAMG