chemicalal

528i Distributor advance/retard vacuum lines?

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone out there knows the correct way to fit these rubber vac lines - I have one coming from the underside of the TB and one coming from the top - I also have two nipples on the distributor one topside and one underside - Could someone please advise on the correct way these fit?

Any help much appreciated!

The outer one  goes to the base of the throttle body, and the inner one (nearest to distributor body) goes to the top of the TB. Some of these have a weird electrical vacuum capsule inbetween the upper TB to distributor vac line.

Cheers Andy. I’ve got those weird electrics unfortunately. Do you reckon it would be ok to bypass these completely? It’s EGR gubbins for Australian emissions as you probably know. 

50 minutes ago, chemicalal said:

Cheers Andy. I’ve got those weird electrics unfortunately. Do you reckon it would be ok to bypass these completely? It’s EGR gubbins for Australian emissions as you probably know. 

Yeah, just remove it. 

Thanks again for all the replies guys!

Just wondering if the central column inside the distributor (the part the rotor arm fits onto) should move slightly in both directions for advance & retard functions? Mine only moves clockwise a couple of degrees and then springs back, which I know is right for advance function. My idle is high (around 1200-1300rpm) and I'm wondering if the idle timing retard function isn't working (either the column is seized or the vacuum diaphram thingy is banjaxxed). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Tims - Yes, Mark had been recommended to me and I'll give him a call. I could only find 1 review (google) did you find others?

No review's. There was a talk on a E12 page and he was recommended very highly by some people and I thought of you.

Thanks Tims! I've contacted him and will revert back to advise if he solves the problem!

There seems to be a real knowledge-gap over here when it comes to these cars - they are either useless or mad/arrogant and think its still the 80's/90's when only the rich bought BMW's (and they could charge what they liked).