Sign in to follow this  
sams255

Anyone replaced Oxygen Sensor Before

I have error code 287500 Lambda Probe Oxygen concentration low etc. I hooked it up to ista and it told me it was the Oxygen sensor before the CAT. Anyone changed this before ?

Whats the engine and mileage ?

does the car running any different then usual? does the code comeback after you clear, if so how long? Did you go to ecu functions to see if it read values such as voltage? I seem to have issue with post cat and some say post cats are common on diesels.

I attempted to replace the O2 sensor on my Senator, using nothing more than the open end of a combination spanner. 

It didnt end well. I had more WD40 in my eyes and up my sleeve than on the stuck fast sensor.  Local garage had to heat the thing to get it out if the exhaust section.

Buy a proper O2 socket and a decent make at that too so it fits properly over the thing and be prepared to give it some beans on the ratchet end and or heat to loosen it. I watched Ant Anstead on Wheeler Dealers replace one, he just used an open end spanner and gave it a turn, made it look easy. Might have been pre loosened.

Do what Andrew suggests.  They tend to corrode and seize in place.  If you don't have a proper o2 sensor socket, cut the wire but only if you have a replacement and the correct size socket.

If you have a diagnostic you can check the sensor in live data.  The other thing you can do is disconnect the sensor at the engine end where it joins the loom and see if the engine runs better.  

Edited by Jimbo07g41

I done this on my 2006 bmw 330d with proper socket was a socket with I slice in side still have it was around £8 took 10-15 mins. 

Came out very easy but all wont be as easy as that heard some horror storys. 

Edited by marko530d

1 hour ago, F10er said:

Whats the engine and mileage ?

does the car running any different then usual? does the code comeback after you clear, if so how long? Did you go to ecu functions to see if it read values such as voltage? I seem to have issue with post cat and some say post cats are common on diesels.

To be honest the code has been on the car since i have owned it clear it and it just keeps on coming back . I got the car a couple of years ago at 120k now im up to 182k, I have recently got ista + on the laptop and just working through the codes. i did a test on ista results are as below.  Oxygen sensor is around 77 pound for a bosch one and you can get a socket for 5.99 from euros for a Sealy one

IMG_20200423_082506.jpg

IMG_20200423_082515.jpg

IMG_20200423_082527.jpg

IMG_20200423_082639.jpg

Edited by sams255

There are better penetrating oils out there than WD40 but they get quite pricey and I've still got three tins of WD40 in my garage I won't be using anything different for a while.

Perhaps that's why it remained stuck on my Sennie!:lol:

Somthing like @marko530d link or what I was picturing in my mind/wished I'd had 16 years ago is like the deep socket that is shown in the middle of the 5 sockets in this set.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper-89765-expert-38-and-12-sq-dr-oxyg/

24 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

There are better penetrating oils out there than WD40 but they get quite pricey and I've still got three tins of WD40 in my garage I won't be using anything different for a while.

Perhaps that's why it remained stuck on my Sennie!:lol:

Somthing like @marko530d link or what I was picturing in my mind/wished I'd had 16 years ago is like the deep socket that is shown in the middle of the 5 sockets in this set.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper-89765-expert-38-and-12-sq-dr-oxyg/

I will be getting this one https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sealey-sx022-oxygen-sensor-socket-22mm-3-8-sq-drive-SEASX022

That would be the right one right. Now I got to see how deeply buried in the engine bay it is. 530d by the way

I did a nox sensor on my f10 recently. Is similar to a oxy sensor. I have the proper socket for o2 sensors but the nox head was so tight the open sided socket was actually twisting. In the end I cut the wire and used a good quality 22mm ring spanner and eventually got it undone.

Luckily the nox sensor is bang in the middle of the zorst so heaps of room. O2 sensors tend to be less so.

Edit 22mm not 18mm 

Edited by bmwmike

I'm not a Sealey tool fan. They aren't as well made as the Draper Expert stuff I've got. Oil drain pan let me down big style too.

To me 22mm is way to big for only 3/8" drive, that's well in 1/2" drive territory. But that's just me, who suffers from tool OCD. 

However needs must.