apples12

5w30 or 5w40 n47

Hi all

Made a blunder ordering oil over the weekend and have ended up with a 20l drum of shell BMW ll04 5w40 oil.

Previously I have only ever used shell 5w30

Should I get this exchanged or will the 5w40 be alright?

Car is a 520d LCI with the n47 engine currently sat at 160k miles

Many thanks

I would say it will be fine. 

Making sure its BMW LongLife 04 (LL04) spec is the important part.

As far as I know the difference between 30 and 40w only really matters in extreme weather temps which we don't get in the UK.

I actually went to 40w from 30w (Castrol Edge) on my old M47 200k engine and thought it actually felt smoother - I had read somewhere that the 40w being thicker would actually work better in a high mileage engine as the tolerances between all the parts lessen with wear. No idea if that is true but it's one of those ones that appeals to my way of thinking so happy with it :) 

Will be fine especially as its BMW branded LL04 :) 

Edited by Munzy123

Absolutely fine as the BMW LL04 is the important 'spec'. You could say that 5W40 is better as it will stay 'in grade' at higher temperatures.

Mark

As above it says LL04 so it's fine.

BMW over the years have filled my E60 and F10 sumps with the following grades 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 and 5W-40.

Here in the U.K., it makes negligible difference in an engine like ours what viscosity is used from the numbers you've said.

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm/

I used 0W-30 in my F10 at the last oil change. It meets LL04, end of.

47-F561-B9-6-FA3-4-BEC-8-BE2-51-E98829-D

32 minutes ago, Munzy123 said:

I actually went to 40w from 30w (Castoral Edge) on my old M47 200k engine and thought it actually felt smoother - I had read somewhere that the 40w being thicker would actually work better in a high mileage engine as the tolerances between all the parts lessen with wear. No idea if that is true but it's one of those ones that appeals to my way of thinking so happy with it :) 

Makes sense to a degree.

In days of Senator ownership before the synthetic oils of today, the consensus was to run thicker oil to stop it leaking out! Some boys ran the 24v engines on probably equivalent of 5W-30 which was good for the valvetrain etc but it leaked out almost as quickly as it went in.....:lol:

35 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Makes sense to a degree.

In days of Senator ownership before the synthetic oils of today, the consensus was to run thicker oil to stop it leaking out! Some boys ran the 24v engines on probably equivalent of 5W-30 which was good for the valvetrain etc but it leaked out almost as quickly as it went in.....:lol:

I remember the wonderful oil additives you could buy which were so thick that they’d hardly pour out of the tin - a bit like syrup on a cold morning. Fine for taking up slack in the bearings as well as keeping the oil in the motor a bit longer.

1 hour ago, apples12 said:

Hi all

Made a blunder ordering oil over the weekend and have ended up with a 20l drum of shell BMW ll04 5w40 oil.

Previously I have only ever used shell 5w30

Should I get this exchanged or will the 5w40 be alright?

Car is a 520d LCI with the n47 engine currently sat at 160k miles

Many thanks

See here for BMW Approved Oils. I see BMW lists 2 Shell 5w40 grade oils: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-42-oil-filters-lines/1VnZ1vFi9W 

53 minutes ago, Boba said:

I remember the wonderful oil additives you could buy which were so thick that they’d hardly pour out of the tin - a bit like syrup on a cold morning. Fine for taking up slack in the bearings as well as keeping the oil in the motor a bit longer.

Lol yes. :D That's because the engines were rubbish and leaked oil from every joint. Fords, BL, GM stuff they all leaked.

If you ever see pictures of car parks taken in the 60s to the 80s you see oil in the bays beneath where an engine would be. It's quite rare nowadays to see car parks with oil stains in the middle if each bay.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If you ever see pictures of car parks taken in the 60s to the 80s you see oil in the bays beneath where an engine would be. It's quite rare nowadays to see car parks with oil stains in the middle if each bay.

You should have a look at where I park outside work. There's a row of about 15 spaces and I can see that I haven't parked in about 4 of them :ph34r:. I'll probably fill in these blanks before I get around to sorting out my leak :roll:

Keliuss

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lol yes. :D That's because the engines were rubbish and leaked oil from every joint. Fords, BL, GM stuff they all leaked.

You two need to get a room to continue your nostalgic discussions about Lube.

Back on topic.  You will be fine.  Oil manufactures and car handbooks tend to have bar charts that show the different grades of oil.  There is a great deal of cross over between grades.

The newer version of castrol edge 0w30 has no longer got the bmw LL 04 approval on  the can so i have gone for castrol edge 5w30M which has bmw  LL04 approval printed on the can

Edited by ss

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 20:42, ss said:

i have gone for castrol edge 5w30M which has bmw  LL04 approval printed on the can

When I e-mailed Castrol for advice, their response was to run my F10 on that oil.  Its a bit tricker to get hold off, not so many places on the High Street Stock it quite as readily as the Titanium Edge FST stuff, but online its prevalent enough.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

When I e-mailed Castrol for advice, their response was to run my F10 on that oil.  Its a bit tricker to get hold off, not so many places on the High Street Stock it quite as readily as the Titanium Edge FST stuff, but online its prevalent enough.

i agree because castrol edge 0w30  titanium fst is what i have always used when it was readily available at costco but now that they no longer stock it ,i bought the castrol edge 5w30m from costco which they now stock and at 30 quid for 4 litres i thinks that represents excellent value for money

The actual critical aspect of the oil is, is it one of the viscosities mentioned above, and does it meet API rating of SN and ACEA rating if C3. They are the oil industry grades which mean something, LL04 is a car manufacturers rating.

The last oil I used was Castrol edge Titanium FST 0W-30 which has oil specs of SN and C3 printed on the label. It also said LL04 on it.

Todays bottles of Castrol edge Titanium FST 0W-30 has oil specs of SN and C3 printed on the label.  It does not say LL04 on it.

Is it the same stuff as I used?

Probably.

Will it do any harm if you use it?

Probably not.

Although given how critical oil is, I would want the reassurance of LL04 for an oil change but for an emergency top up stuff that's meets the viscosity and API and ACEA ratings will be fine.

but still cannot understand why the newer version of 0w30 castrol  edge FST oil does not have LL04 on it.

i wonder if bmw have to pay castrol to do so  and decided not to ?

Edited by ss

BMW and Castrol ended their mutual relationship few years ago now and BMW use Shell as the preferred supplier now.  BMW had a marketing tie up with Castrol, all the oil filler caps said BMW recommend Castrol.  Now its Shell products.

It could just be its not been tested against the criteria set by BMW or it has been tested and it failed.  I don't know. 

Well conversation i was having with an enthusiast  and one of the engineers from dealership that apparently castrol played a role in some of the chain failures ( totally anecdote base and didn't look at it my self) and thats one of the reasons they changed to shell and it is a superior oil. 

Harry Fairbairn Giffnock was doing 12lt genuine oil (0w30) for £99 on ebay so i always bought that which i think is reasonable.    

5 hours ago, F10er said:

Well conversation i was having with an enthusiast  and one of the engineers from dealership that apparently castrol played a role in some of the chain failures ( totally anecdote base and didn't look at it my self) and thats one of the reasons they changed to shell and it is a superior oil. 

Harry Fairbairn Giffnock was doing 12lt genuine oil (0w30) for £99 on ebay so i always bought that which i think is reasonable.    

The Castrol oil when it was branded LL04 met all the same oil industry requirements API SN ACE C3 as the LL04 branded Shell stuff.  The old Castrol stuff is to the same oil spec as the now Shell oil. 

The N47 chain disaster is due to poor machine finishing on the camshaft sprocket, it wears the chain which causes it to stretch and gives the death rattle.  Its the same chain in the N57* which is not affected to anywhere near the same degree. *and plenty of other engines in plenty of models. The other engines had a decent camshaft gear which didn't shred the chain.  See link below

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=XA52-EUR-09-2012-F10-BMW-530d&mg=11&sg=25&diagId=11_4089&q=11318570649

If that was the case, me thinks BMW wanted to blame anyone else but themselves for the N47 chain calamity.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

The Castrol oil when it was branded LL04 met all the same oil industry requirements API SN ACE C3 as the LL04 branded Shell stuff.  The old Castrol stuff is to the same oil spec as the now Shell oil. 

The N47 chain disaster is due to poor machine finishing on the camshaft sprocket, it wears the chain which causes it to stretch and gives the death rattle.  Its the same chain in the N57* which is not affected to anywhere near the same degree. *and plenty of other engines in plenty of models. The other engines had a decent camshaft gear which didn't shred the chain.  See link below

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=XA52-EUR-09-2012-F10-BMW-530d&mg=11&sg=25&diagId=11_4089&q=11318570649

If that was the case, me thinks BMW wanted to blame anyone else but themselves for the N47 chain calamity.

I may go for the Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 - 5Ltr can next time which meets bmwLL04 and at 34 quid for 5litres is also good value

It says C3 which is what you want on the ACEA grades and it's one of the correct viscosities, but all that matters is that it says LL04 on the bottle.  ;)

You will need another 1.5 litres for a 530d sump change.

Thats a good price where are you getting it from?