max535

Power steering fluid and reservoir

My power steering is dark brown, almost looks black... so the plan is to flush it and replace with some new chf11s.

I'm probably going to empty the system from the front quick connect fitting near the rad to get as much out as possible, i know it can be done from the rack which is probably going to get more out but adds the risk of leaks and air in the system later on if the o'ring doesn't reseal well.

In addition to this from what I've seen and read the reservoir should also be replaced as judging by the condition of the fluid the filter in the reservoir will be all clogged up too, I'm guessing you would all recommend replacing this too?

It looks like the 535d doesn't use the same reservoir as all of the other models, it looks probably twice as tall as the one on the 530d, having checked realoem i see the part number is 32416782538, and having looked around a bit the best deal i seem to be able to find is on ebay for about £60 delivered from a supplier in Latvia, does anyone know of a better deal or even a deal for both the reservoir and fluid as a service package?

Edited by max535

Versions with active steering or dynamic drive have that separate reservoir.

I would change the fluid by flushing the system. Suck the reservoir as empty as possible. Remove return hose (Nr.11 on the diagram) from reservoir. Block that connection on reservoir (you can use similar size hose and lift the end above fluid level). Guide that return hose to a separate waste tank (use extension hose if needed). Lift the front of the vehicle up so there is no strain on power steering. Have a friend to start the engine and turning steering wheel from end to end with quite peaceful pace while you are filling the reservoir with fresh fluid. Have 3 litres of fresh fluid readily at hand because the reservoir will drain very quickly. When the fluid coming from return hose is clear turn off engine. Then install the return hose back to reservoir and check fluid level.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NC92-EUR-04-2005-E60-BMW-535d&diagId=32_1446

Here you can get the original reservoir a bit cheaper.

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/oelbehaelter-32416782538.html

Edited by Clavurion

Ah of course active steering that makes more sense.

I've not used that method before but it sounds like good way to get all the old fluid out, do i really need 3 litres?

Thanks that is a bit cheaper!

2 hours ago, max535 said:

I've not used that method before but it sounds like good way to get all the old fluid out, do i really need 3 litres?

You will waste some during the flush. Usually 2 litres is just enough but better to be on the safe side.

I have the new reservoir and finally the fluid turned up, my neighbour has offered to help so just need to work out a good time to do it...

Well how time flies i still haven't got around to doing this, just having a look now so there are no surprises when i go to change it out, aside from the date on the existing one being 12.01.05 (must be the original) there are a couple of things I've noticed:

• The new reservoir came with a sensor attached that twists off, my original has the hole for it but no sensor and no wire floating about in the engine bay that i can see, do some cars not use this sensor?
  • Looking at the hose clamps I'm a bit concerned they may not be reusable as I've not messed with this type before, should i buy new ones or are they easily bent and reused?

Ok i think i know the answer to the sensor, on realoem it is shown in the pic of the reservoir for the dynamic drive but not for the active steering so i guess that means my car doesn't use it.

Those hose clamps are pretty expensive if you want to replace them so it would be good to know if i can get away with reusing them?

3 hours ago, max535 said:

Those hose clamps are pretty expensive if you want to replace them so it would be good to know if i can get away with reusing them?

Those clips can be reused if you gently pry them open and compress with pliers. Though I would replace them with regular jubilee clips.