F11 530d had been sitting for three days and when I went to start it I got the ‘very low battery’ warning on the dash. 

Used my Foxwell 530 and found a handy screen that gives a five day history of the battery charge.

Together with the screen that shows my battery is the original (9 years old!) I was able to make the decision to get a new battery.

Hopefully be useful for anyone checking for battery issues. 

60DB5343-D60D-45AE-BCA4-E92D341C6087.jpeg

5A52987E-FEE3-4E20-B3F9-F0E6C65A6037.jpeg

569C3474-65EC-4B27-830E-05DD5691C80F.jpeg

80CFC72A-0B5B-447C-AF1A-252CB780151D.jpeg

2E7435EF-1A05-49E5-A80A-CAADAF2C866E.jpeg

C7EE3FCF-3F79-40F1-8FA1-9B5AC5BABD37.jpeg

EB1B4745-7386-4EC8-8646-D79C4E2FF4D1.jpeg

Edited by Munzy123

New battery was £195 from local BMW dealer.

I check realOEM and ordered it.

It's a 92Ah AGM vs the 90Ah AGM that is currently in it but this is what BMW recommend to replace with as my original spec is no longer produced and should only require registering on the Foxwell without the need for coding.

No other issues apart from a seemingly really short time (5 - 10 mins) of radio listening time with the engine off before auto shut down. Car has always started 1st time. 

Edited by Munzy123

On 14/04/2020 at 19:47, Munzy123 said:

F11 530d had been sitting for three days and when I went to start it I got the ‘very low battery’ warning on the dash. 

Used my Foxwell 530 and found a handy screen that gives a five day history of the battery charge.

Together with the screen that shows my battery is the original (9 years old!) I was able to make the decision to get a new battery.

Hopefully be useful for anyone checking for battery issues. 

EB1B4745-7386-4EC8-8646-D79C4E2FF4D1.jpeg

What do those figures actually mean tho, I take it they percentage of charge in the battery?

Great post, thanks for the guide. I've not played with my Foxwell since December when I just got it.

Inspired by this post, thanks @Munzy123, I thought I would check mine out. Read in the last 60 mins.

Car battery was fully charged via Ctek charger on 31/03. 

Car was driven for 8 miles in two lots of four mile journeys on 06/04 and then parked up until the same journey was repeated on 12/04. In other words four starts in 16 miles since a full charge on 31/03. It's not been used much since probably 13/03 before I got Covid 19 and now current lockdown.

0-DA61-D55-BA23-4-E97-BE1-C-A5780-ED75-B

Do I therefore have an 82% charged battery? What does the 255 mean? Confused dot com.

I also got this shot.

D5-ED4979-591-A-4763-A9-FA-D55-E66-E4-B3

Which if you can argue that the 846 hours might have been the 6 weeks it spent in a bodyshop in July 2018 not doing anything, battery looks o.k. I think, even if I don't know what is meant by the figures in the first picture.

I have now plugged the car car back in to charge using my Ctek and will repeat the readings immediately on unplugging the charger tomorrow.

Oh and the ignition needs to be on first or it can't read the IBS.  ;)

Not sure about the 255 @535i Andrew maybe just a glitch? Can't find anything that explains it.

Checked my old battery with a voltmeter at the terminals and it was at 11.99v which was after a drive yesterday (for essential shopping) and sitting overnight.

Just confirms it can't hold a charge. Used the hidden menu to check the voltage with the engine running and it was 14.8v so alternator working fine - just  an old battery.

New one was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't :angry:

Battery-SOC.jpg

24 hrs later I unplugged the F10 from the charger and took another battery reading.

78429-B48-6-F7-B-45-D3-BA22-FC3-CF7-B9-D

reading today is 90. I think that might be the charge as in 90 ah rather than a %age reading. It was on charge for 24 hours and the figure went from 82 to 90. Ctek charger operates at 5 amps so it would easily be able to charge it up in that time at that current. 5 amps for 24 hours = 120 Amp hours.

I'll leave the car on for charge longer next time and repeat the readings to see if there is a difference.

Interesting.

@535i Andrew be interested to see what reading you get from a voltmeter directly at the terminals after a full charge to compare to the Foxwell.

I’ve been getting readings of around 50 from the scanner lately which looks about right at 11.99v to mean a 50% charge from the table above. 

I had read somewhere that the IBS never charges the battery to a full 100% as modern batteries don’t keep well in a fully or too low state - maybe the CTEK charger is the same? 

Edited by Munzy123

Very interesting conversation and hello there Andrew... Its been a while.. I recently had an old cheap battery replaced when the dash lights started going crazy. I got my Biimertool app and Carist dingle to work and there was next to nothing in the battery.

Looking at my charging histogram from ISTA it looks like my battery has spent a fair amount of time in a rather discharged state. No wonder I'm getting the battery worn out fault code.

charge-histogram-19-4-20.jpg

New battery has arrived and is reading 12.74v on the voltmeter so ~90% charged. Will use the Foxwell to read it over the next few days.

This page has some great info re registering etc about half way down:

https://www.youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw/bmw-battery-registration-programming-step-step

Edited by Munzy123

Fitted the new battery in about 30 mins:

Removing and fitting as per video below.

To register the battery using the Foxwell 530 I followed the steps from my original post until I got to the option to Register Battery Replacement.

It asks if it is an original BMW battery, I choose yes. I then had to enter the second (12 digit) code on the matrix sticker on the new battery. Job done.

I did notice (but didn't take photos sorry) that when I chose the Register Battery Replacement option the next screen did have an options to Register Battery With Higher/Lower and Change Battery type - as far as I know the Foxwell can only register a battery of the same specs and NOT code a different one but maybe this feature has been added?

My Foxwell is updated to the newest version and all of the references online are about the older Foxwell 510/520 so maybe they have added these 2 much needed features? 

Edited by Munzy123

On 20/04/2020 at 14:24, Munzy123 said:

I did notice (but didn't take photos sorry) that when I chose the Register Battery Replacement option the next screen did have an options to Register Battery With Higher/Lower and Change Battery type - as far as I know the Foxwell can only register a battery of the same specs and NOT code a different one but maybe this feature has been added?

A further probe down that route might answer it, as in go to next menu and see what's there but not confirming anything.  Playing with the Foxwell I'm always concious that going a step too far could do irreparable damage.  

I would have thought the 530 should be able to code as well as register a new battery. It has diagnostic level capability which puts it in a level above Carly etc from that point of view.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Playing with the Foxwell I'm always concious that going a step too far could do irreparable damage.

Haha - exactly this! 

Couple of times I've been stuck on a screen with no 'Back' option and just pulled the OBD out sweating like crazy ;) 

Lol. Not had that myself. Is it running the most updated software? Free software updates remember from Foxwell.

Years ago I knew an E39 Alpina owner that had Carsoft, who when playing one Sunday afternoon, managed to change the language on his instrument cluster to German.

He then sold said Carsoft to partially recoup the £1,800 cost of a new binnacle.  

Apologies, I meant to post this picture earlier, but I forgot I took it.

There is an option to put the car into what I'm guessing as a sleep mode.  Activate rest state.

410159-D3-4-CEA-4282-9-CFE-23-F6-A1-EDBE

I wonder if that shuts down everything when its parked up when its not in use to save any drain on the battery?

I've heard about dealers having to take cars out of a 'transport mode' which wakes the car up after it goes to the dealer after delivery from the manufacturing plant.  That mode would allow the car to be driven on and off ferries and car transporters etc but not much else I suspect to save the battery being drained when its sat on the boat and in various compounds etc.

Probably something similar in other diagnostic packages.

Anyone been brave enough to probe further?