Johnjonjo

Manual to automatic conversion?

Hi all

I have a F10 520d 2011 manual with 105k.

Had it around 4years and just had my chains and egr changed via warranty a few months back.

Before it I had a E60 2009 520d auto and I do miss the automatic gearbox.

I know changing now to a newer F10 auto will cost at least £5k. 

Anyone done a conversation from manual to auto?

Hi. It is possible,but unless you do it yourself it will be very expensive and even diy job would be not cheap,so better idea is to buy auto straight away.

If your car had chains done,then it should be great sale point.

Been offered 3.5k as part ex.

It's got sat nav, leather, full history, factory xenon headlamps (led front indicator option headlamps) and 18 inch alloys these are all factory fitted. I have fitted illuminated msport gear knob and m5 steering wheel.

Think will get more selling it in parts!

7 minutes ago, Yuri84 said:

Hi. It is possible,but unless you do it yourself it will be very expensive and even diy job would be not cheap,so better idea is to buy auto straight away.

If your car had chains done,then it should be great sale point.

How much do you think independent would charge?

15 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

Been offered 3.5k as part ex.

It's got sat nav, leather, full history, factory xenon headlamps (led front indicator option headlamps) and 18 inch alloys these are all factory fitted. I have fitted illuminated msport gear knob and m5 steering wheel.

Think will get more selling it in parts!

15 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

How much do you think independent would charge?

Well to start you will need to find good  transmission which is not easy,because usually no chance of testing them before buying. Second thing is modern transmissions work much tighter with engine control module unlike older cars and that would be big challenge and quite a few hours of labour. It will need gearbox cooling system installed,pedal unit,gearbox shifter,somehow  program your dash or maybe replacement needed,pritty sure you will need ecu from automatic car.

I will say all in it will be 4k maybe more and i dont think anybody will give warranty on the job. 

If you still decide to go ahead,then buy car that has no engine and put all bits in yours then sell rest parts of donor.

I bet it will be nightmare finding who will take this project.

There is bloke in Belarus,he has vw passat cc which was set on fire. He decided to restore his car and went and purchased donor,but with auto and he got it all done,but he has youtube channel and it was great content for hi. In the end it worked out that he could have bought same car for less money in great condition.

If you were ever successful in doing the conversion, think of the resale value, will you buy a car that has been converted by joe bloggs or one that came from the factory ,ade correctly by BMW. The amount of money your gonna spend on doing conversions just either sell the car privately or do the part ex

41 minutes ago, Yuri84 said:

Well to start you will need to find good  transmission which is not easy,because usually no chance of testing them before buying. Second thing is modern transmissions work much tighter with engine control module unlike older cars and that would be big challenge and quite a few hours of labour. It will need gearbox cooling system installed,pedal unit,gearbox shifter,somehow  program your dash or maybe replacement needed,pritty sure you will need ecu from automatic car.

I will say all in it will be 4k maybe more and i dont think anybody will give warranty on the job. 

If you still decide to go ahead,then buy car that has no engine and put all bits in yours then sell rest parts of donor.

I bet it will be nightmare finding who will take this project.

Dont dare me to do this project! Lol

38 minutes ago, sams255 said:

If you were ever successful in doing the conversion, think of the resale value, will you buy a car that has been converted by joe bloggs or one that came from the factory ,ade correctly by BMW. The amount of money your gonna spend on doing conversions just either sell the car privately or do the part ex

Fair point, safety is very important, want it done properly from the factory and not wheeler dealer job!

Sell you car privately for what? £5500-6000? 

Then buy an auto for the difference. 

You could be into a facelift with the b47 engine and things like DAB and enhanced bluetoooth, xenons, NBT nav etc. etc. for £3000 maybe. 

3 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Sell you car privately for what? £5500-6000? 

Then buy an auto for the difference. 

You could be into a facelift with the b47 engine and things like DAB and enhanced bluetoooth, xenons, NBT nav etc. etc. for £3000 maybe. 

No one will pay that much for it privately.

If I do sell I want to get 530d auto.

1 minute ago, gIzzE said:

Well, you will get £5k for it I'm sure. 

2 months ago Arnold Clarke offered me £3200.

The 530d 2014 85K auto was reasonably priced and change over would have been £7000, way too much.

But just sell privately. 

In a few weeks when we come out of lockdown and millions have lost their jobs, I bet many will be downgrading. 

You could probably swap to an auto for £1000 or less if you got similar to what you have got now. 

You were asking about putting an auto 'box in your car, which would be what? £3000 at best. 

You are now talking about swapping for a facelift 530d. Haha

3 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

But just sell privately. 

In a few weeks when we come out of lockdown and millions have lost their jobs, I bet many will be downgrading. 

You could probably swap to an auto for £1000 or less if you got similar to what you have got now. 

You were asking about putting an auto 'box in your car, which would be what? £3000 at best. 

You are now talking about swapping for a facelift 530d. Haha

Still think it's a bit optimistic.

I'd rather have a slightly newer model as I have a 2011 so ideally a 2015 ish.

But part my fear is that will the 3 litre engine got chain issues? I won't have warranty so will be by myself to cover all failure costs.

2 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

Still think it's a bit optimistic.

I'd rather have a slightly newer model as I have a 2011 so ideally a 2015 ish.

But part my fear is that will the 3 litre engine got chain issues? I won't have warranty so will be by myself to cover all failure costs.

I have a 530D from 2012 N57 engine. with 182k on it, no issues with the chain at all. I suppose 2015 is the newer B57 engine, it was mainly the N47 that suffered the chain issues. I think you should be able to get 5k for it. The warranty work on chains from the dealer is what makes the car more attractive. Cars on auto trader 520d with 160k 2011 going for around 4.5k so you should be able to get more.

On 13/04/2020 at 00:27, sams255 said:

I have a 530D from 2012 N57 engine. with 182k on it, no issues with the chain at all. I suppose 2015 is the newer B57 engine, it was mainly the N47 that suffered the chain issues. I think you should be able to get 5k for it. The warranty work on chains from the dealer is what makes the car more attractive. Cars on auto trader 520d with 160k 2011 going for around 4.5k so you should be able to get more.

The Fxx cars never got the B57 engine with the N57 running through to the model end of manufacture. It was only the B47 that made it to the range.

On 14/04/2020 at 08:58, Matthew Ashton said:

The Fxx cars never got the B57 engine with the N57 running through to the model end of manufacture. It was only the B47 that made it to the range.

Thanks, that's something i didn't know. Thought as they moved to Euro 6 they replaced the N57 with B57

N57 does have chain issues too but not as much as N47, i am not sure if B47 hasnt got any chain issues, there is at least one person on here mentioned they replaced the chain on a 2 series fitted with B47.

I think they improved it but unless its been looked after properly chain always going to be bit of a risk.

I was looking at a F15 few weeks ago  which done 52k and  had full BMW service history however only 1 service shows up in i drive at 40k.

Unless it hasn't been recorded correctly  service history suggests that car had 1 service and not an oil change for 40k and you find cars like that not looked after and its riskier to buy these.