ttrw2

e39 Rear Subframe Bush Replacement Tool [for SALOON]

I searched high and low for someone who rents out this tool before doing mine, but couldn't find anyone so purchased the tool myself. I'm now renting it out for anyone else who wants to do the job -

It's the Laser 4780 *for e39 saloon's only*

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4780

(It's the proper bit of kit, not one of the flimsy eBay ones):

4780.jpg

Instructions for using the tool are available on Laser's website, and attached.

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/PDF/Products/4780_Instructions.pdf

It costs £36 to rent (£20 + £8 postage each way - it's heavy!).

- You pay me £28 upfront, then cover return postage (£8) yourself. 

- If there's someone who wants to use it straight after you, you can post it straight to them and I'll return £8 to you. 

- If you're local to me (north oxfordshire) we can avoid the postage costs, so it's just £20 to rent. 

- If you want to do several cars whilst you have it, that's absolutely fine. Whoever rented the tool/lodged the deposit is responsible for it's return.

- If you break it, you buy it! 

The tool is very easy to use and makes removing the old bushes and pressing in the new ones a cinch. A 24mm fixed-head ratchet spanner (like this) makes the job even easier and can be picked-up for c.£10 online.

If you're a long-term bmw5 forum member there is no deposit, if you're new/unknown to me then I'll need a £100 deposit that I will return once the tool is back.

Cheers,
Rob

Current tool status:

The tool is currently IN and available

Laser_4780_Instructions.pdf

Edited by ttrw2

Hi Rob

Will definitely have this off you  to rent at some point this year as planning a rear end overhaul on my 530i.

Just need to decide when - it seems sooner rather than later as I have a lot of time on my hands right now for some reason......

And I will almost certainly have the rear top mounts off you if they are still available too.

Will be in touch soon :)

@Sandip - Could this be made a sticky maybe, so folk can see it rather than it being lost down the page?

Edited by d_a_n1979

Thanks for making a sticky and thanks for the replies chaps.

I've updated the first post with a bit more info and added current tool status.

@d_a_n1979 could you remove your quote of my first post to save confusion please.

Cheers, Rob

1 minute ago, ttrw2 said:

Thanks for making a sticky and thanks for the replies chaps.

I've updated the first post with a bit more info and added current tool status.

@d_a_n1979 could you remove your quote of my first post to save confusion please.

Cheers, Rob

All done pal :) 

23 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

Yes, Touring bushes are much larger so tool is different. @GaryN rents the tool for Tourings I believe 

As does @jimmy 

@ttrw2 Rob, can you tell me how long it would take, using this tool, for a local garage to do? I'm not a mechanic!

My e39 has 200k miles on the clock so I assume it probably needs to done but I don't know what the symptons are if they are failing.

For my education (and others perhaps) what are the basic steps involved ie what needs to be removed to get to the bushes?

many thanks Alastair

Not a big job Alastair, once up on ramps with wheels off it's less than an hours work - not hard at all just methodical.

To replace the bushes you need to put the car on a lift/axle stands so you can get underneath, then it's a simple case of loosening the 4 bolts off that go through each bush, and then working on *one bush at a time* with the tool to pull out the old bush then push in the new one. You don't need to drop the whole subframe or disconnect anything else if you just work on one bush at a time. Freezing the bushes overnight and/or putting a bit of lube on as they go in makes them a doddle. There are a few bits of 'trim' to unscrew such as the metal bars that run under the fuel tanks but they're just 2x13mm bolts iirc.

This thread is good as the pictures show how easy the access is once underneath:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2161472-E39-Sedan-Rear-Subframe-Bushing-Replacement-DIY

They use a weird tool that needs lots of space around it - he Laser one doesn't.

As for symptoms, the saloon hides knackered subframe bushes much better than the Touring. In the Touring you know when they're gone as the back is 'crashy' both in noise and ride/handling.  In the saloon it just doesn't feel quite right - the back doesn't feel vague, but doesn't feel super planted. It's not super noisy, but then it doesn't feel ultra refined either. Visually if there's any sign of cracking/delamination on the bushes then they're done. I'd suggest unless ridden on glass smooth motorways all it's life then any car is ready for fresh bushes by 200k.

I used Lemforder bushes on both my Touring and M5, but it looks like Meyle are just as good. 

Still here and still going strong.

Added a link to the instructions for using the tool (PDF on Laser's website).

Cheers, Rob

Rob, with your helpful advice, I have now got the job complete and have new subframe bushes on my saloon. Appreciate your patience as it took longer than I thought - all the garages I tried were very busy. Many thanks Alastair