JM001_E28_520i

Will this fit my 1986 E28 520i

As i had mentioned in a previous post, i got rear ended last month, and this is the missing piece needed to complete the work.  Basically I am unsure if it will fit my car as I know there were different bumpers used between US and European models.

I own a 1986 / E28 / 520i

The seller has said the following -

Hello, yes it should fit, but for some reason in the catalog it's shown only for these models
Im not completely sure if it fits plug and play.

Catalog gives this info.
5er E28 Limousine (US-Modell)
524td (M21), 528e (M20), 533i (M30), 535i (M30)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-BMW-E28-524td-528e-533i-535i-Sedan-Bumper-Rear-Center-51121953936/303512103665?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE28&epid=1109513576&hash=item46aabb2af1:g:dtcAAOSwZhpegg~7

Thanks a lot !

Joe

49 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

That looks a US bumper so if your in the UK whilst it will fit it isn't the one you want.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=4262-EUR-10-1987-E28-BMW-525e&diagId=51_0682

thanks for your reply Duncan

I only need the rear chrome centre piece so id be looking to attach this piece to my undamaged rear left and right bumper sections, would that even work?

Cheers !

Hi Joe,

Do you have euro bumpers:IMG_1369.JPG.50ad96fe12d6b24d5a0c3c99a3c8d801.JPG

Or US federalised bumpers:

10 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

As far as I know the parts are different and not readily interchangeable, hence the different part numbers 

Euro:

51.12.1.934.665 euro center section chrome

51.12.1.961.876 euro center section in primer

US:

51.12.1.953.936 US

Best regards,

Mick

Mick do you know if the profile is the same though? ie the cross section - if so one might be able to cut them down.

They have different ends so a different part but maybe not so different they couldn't be adapted?

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Mick do you know if the profile is the same though? ie the cross section - if so one might be able to cut them down.

They have different ends so a different part but maybe not so different they couldn't be adapted?

Hi Duncan,

The pictures are not to any particular scale but the rubber strip looks to be about twice the height compared to the euro equivalent.  This chimes with my experience viewing both types at Tedfest in Mississauga back in 2017 & 2018.

The US part is far higher and a different profile.

When our North American cousens carry out a euro conversion they replace their federalised "diving boards" with the slimmer euro bumpers.  If they could readily adapt what they already have then there would be plenty of euro bumpers in stock instead of NLA.

There is a slow but steady demand for euro bumpers in North America as enthusiasts de-federalise their US market E28's :cool:

Best regards,

Mick

3 minutes ago, Ordnator said:

Hi Duncan,

The pictures are not to any particular scale but the rubber strip looks to be about twice the height compared to the euro equivalent.  This chimes with my experience viewing both types at Tedfest in Mississauga back in 2017 & 2018.

The US part is far higher and a different profile.

When our North American cousens carry out a euro conversion they replace their federalised "diving boards" with the slimmer euro bumpers.  If they could readily adapt what they already have then there would be plenty of euro bumpers in stock instead of NLA.

There is a slow but steady demand for euro bumpers in North America as enthusiasts de-federalise their US market E28's :cool:

Best regards,

Mick

Hi Mick, thanks for your replies on this 

I'm pretty sure i have european bumpers - see attached pics

Thanks a lot

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

56 minutes ago, Ordnator said:

Hi Joe,

Do you have euro bumpers:IMG_1369.JPG.50ad96fe12d6b24d5a0c3c99a3c8d801.JPG

Or US federalised bumpers:

As far as I know the parts are different and not readily interchangeable, hence the different part numbers 

Euro:

51.12.1.934.665 euro center section chrome

51.12.1.961.876 euro center section in primer

US:

51.12.1.953.936 US

Best regards,

Mick

Thanks again mick and your 525 there is beautiful .

I'll note Euro Part Numbers and keep searching.

Not sure how long i can keep it in the bodyshop whilst i try and find a centre piece. I certainly don't want to be lumped with the £300/400 that the other party should really be paying for. What a pain haha