Nabz

BMW E39 M5

Hi All,

I'm a new joiner to the forum in search of a E39 M5. I have trawled the net and happened to come across this forum.....

If anyone is contemplating selling one or knows of anyone who is, please reach out to me.

Many thanks

Nabz

Hi Nabz,

All the usual applies! Buy on condition of the car, history and evidence of the big bills jobs being done/changed recently. Don't worry too much about mileage, colour, spec, options etc. Not saying go for a mega miled example, but go for a well looked after one. 

Whats your anticipated budget you're thinking?  Also ensure you keep the whole of the UK as areas to look for an example as finding 'good' examples is getting harder. 

I do know of a few for sale and some who are thinking to possibly sell :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Loiter around the M Powered and E39 tech sections here as well.  You'll find a lot of good info and advice there if you need to ask anything.

There doesn't seem to be many on the market at the moment. Looking for a facelift model ideally, anything with 100k< mileage and good history seems to be non-existent and falls outside of my budget. 

In terms of budget I have only started looking and have not come across many which are under 10k now.  I was looking in the region of 10 - 14k depending on condition/history/mileage etc. Happy to travel UK wide to find the ideal car. 

The most recent one we had a look at was this via themarket auction however the car looked to have a poor re-spray and some things didn't add up although it looked pretty good in the pics:

https://themarket.co.uk/listings/bmw/m5/5c4eaeb5-4c4e-41f7-9841-3043ed1b2229?status=preview 

If you know of any on sale or potential sellers, feel free to contact me I would appreciate the help.

Hi,

As of just now - £14K budget, less than 100K mile filters;

Zero on Autotrader

Zero on Ebay.

You'll either need to increase your budget significantly, or increase the mileage range. By increasing the AutoTrader filter to 125,000 miles, there's just one for sale at £13995 at 103K mileage but is a pre-facelift.

Cheers, Dennis!

Yeh there doesn't seem to be anything reasonably priced under 100k mileage. Some of these have been on for sale for a while. 

I think some of the prices have been inflated but doubt they will achieve what they are being offered for.

Hi 

Nabz - correct, over the last few years, asking prices have been higher and the cars that are good/decent once someone goes to view them do sell. However, the majority remain unsold for months and sometimes more than a year. Multiple price drops over a few months sees them sold or kept. One such example has been one that came up for £12K and was relisted multiple times and unsold. Perhaps 4/6 weeks ago it re-appeared for sale with new pictures and an asking price of £8.5K. Another month of re-lists and it's just sold for £7.5K (the new owner having mentioned the purchase price in another M5 dedicated chat) I'm not saying all cars are like this, but I'd say a good 85% + have thousands less for their eventual selling price. The silverstone one on Ebay currently at £15,500 asking price I'd say will sell for around £8-9K given the very very rare M Alcantara is completely worn out on the drivers seat! looks like he's spent a bit on fixing it up and looking to get back the cost of doing so. I suspect he'll be disappointed with it's eventual selling price. The higher asking price examples like in the link Seesure has posted, will be (most likely) very nice kept and maintained cars, some have been for sale for months!

Seesure - I'm sure you have your eye on that 16K miler ! ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

16 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Not sure I could justify that asking price....I'm just too dammed tight :)

It's almost double in price to what I paid for my LMB car back in 2004 and that had 29k on the clock...that car was such a good price it always make me think that prices are way too high these days....  ;) 

Have to admit there is an E63 AMG Tourer up for grabs on Pistonheads that has caught my eye... Price seems doable and it's almost a case of what's wrong with it....

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/an-exceptional-example-of-a-rare-mercedes-e63-amg-naturally-aspirated-7-seater/10433079

Ticks all the boxes for me especially with the extra jump seats... would help with the airport runs and other trips that my close social circle do... there are 3 couples in it....!!! So many times have we had to take 2 vehicles when going somewhere...

(See what I'm doing.... justifying it to myself )  :):) :)  

Hi Seesure,

At least that's an E class which are relatively rare and different from the usual AMG C's !

You'd have to modify that car though as in remove the 'murdered out' look !   Unless, you've taken up another income stream lately !?!

The rear jump seats look decent, but do check them out physically, they can be a little tight for adults !

Cheers, Dennis!

17 hours ago, Nabz said:

Yeh there doesn't seem to be anything reasonably priced under 100k mileage. Some of these have been on for sale for a while. 

I think some of the prices have been inflated but doubt they will achieve what they are being offered for.

Depending what you want it for - a 3rd/4th garage queen to polish and stare at or a useable, daily modern classic - I wouldn't get too hung-up on the mileage of an e39 M5:

<100k miles at their age means average of 5k miles per year - or more likely did some decent mileage in it's early years and has sat around for long periods of time more recently. I'd sooner have a car that's consistently been used, serviced and repaired as required.

Of the three e39s I have had, all were bought over 100k miles, two taken to over 200k miles and no reason to assume my current M5 won't go there either (currently on 175k miles).

The higher miles, used ones will have had to have suspension done, rust attended to, brake lines and other bits and bobs - you get the benefit of this second lease of life.

1 hour ago, Seesure said:

HAve to admit there is an E63 AMG Tourer up for grabs on Pistonheads that has caught my eye... Price seems doable and it's almost a case of what's wrong with it...

Interesting, would need the tints removed and the wheels back to silver though!

On 4/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, DennisCooper said:

Hi 

Nabz - correct, over the last few years, asking prices have been higher and the cars that are good/decent once someone goes to view them do sell. However, the majority remain unsold for months and sometimes more than a year. Multiple price drops over a few months sees them sold or kept. One such example has been one that came up for £12K and was relisted multiple times and unsold. Perhaps 4/6 weeks ago it re-appeared for sale with new pictures and an asking price of £8.5K. Another month of re-lists and it's just sold for £7.5K (the new owner having mentioned the purchase price in another M5 dedicated chat) I'm not saying all cars are like this, but I'd say a good 85% + have thousands less for their eventual selling price. The silverstone one on Ebay currently at £15,500 asking price I'd say will sell for around £8-9K given the very very rare M Alcantara is completely worn out on the drivers seat! looks like he's spent a bit on fixing it up and looking to get back the cost of doing so. I suspect he'll be disappointed with it's eventual selling price. The higher asking price examples like in the link Seesure has posted, will be (most likely) very nice kept and maintained cars, some have been for sale for months!

Cheers, Dennis!

I agree with you 100%. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any reasonable ones on the market, either they are very poor or extremely maintained, hoping to find a reasonable one at a decent price. 

What do you think about the one you posted from collectingcars auction. What do you reckon that will achieve given that its going to be an online auction?

Hi Nabz,

I think you'll find that there's plenty of middle condition M5's when taking in all the examples for sale at any one time. Everyones opinion of 'middle condition' will vary of course, but that is bit of a generalization. The way to help tell this is to go out and actually view various examples and to then see the cars in the metal which pictures often don't show well or at all. Obviously, in the current lockdown, it's not an essential journey so viewing cars isn't going to happen. You could buy 'blind' and reduce risk by having a local car inspection to take place and if you feel the car is worth buying, you can progress. A few M5's recently have sold with something along these lines. 

It's hard to say what will happen with cars selling prices at auction, it might go super cheap, about average for the year/mileage/condition or go for significantly higher selling price. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I’m in the same position as you, been looking for a good sensibly priced car for over a year. 

Enquired about this one:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-e39-m5-manual/10428394

says it has good service history, but when I saw the history, there was 6 year gap and circa 25,000 miles during those years.  Also, the running service was done late at 2000 miles at some general back street garage. Why would you not take it back to the dealer for it’s running service? 

Wouldn’t pay even close to the asking price - it really annoys me when adverts are mis-leading “very well documented service history”.......... full of gaps, late services and unknown garages! 

20 hours ago, Hilly said:

I’m in the same position as you, been looking for a good sensibly priced car for over a year. 

Enquired about this one:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-e39-m5-manual/10428394

Lol - must be the slow eco-green version...

Capture.JPG.b79884421a25a3b0a224ede0835e5d65.JPG

On 4/30/2020 at 4:28 PM, Hilly said:

Enquired about this one:

says it has good service history, but when I saw the history, there was 6 year gap and circa 25,000 miles during those years.  Also, the running service was done late at 2000 miles at some general back street garage. Why would you not take it back to the dealer for it’s running service? 

Wouldn’t pay even close to the asking price - it really annoys me when adverts are mis-leading “very well documented service history”.......... full of gaps, late services and unknown garages! 

Just another chancer trying to make a quick buck......I reckon it will still be on sale in another 12 months at that price. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, DennisCooper said:

Hi Nabz,

I think you'll find that there's plenty of middle condition M5's when taking in all the examples for sale at any one time. Everyones opinion of 'middle condition' will vary of course, but that is bit of a generalization. The way to help tell this is to go out and actually view various examples and to then see the cars in the metal which pictures often don't show well or at all. Obviously, in the current lockdown, it's not an essential journey so viewing cars isn't going to happen. You could buy 'blind' and reduce risk by having a local car inspection to take place and if you feel the car is worth buying, you can progress. A few M5's recently have sold with something along these lines. 

It's hard to say what will happen with cars selling prices at auction, it might go super cheap, about average for the year/mileage/condition or go for significantly higher selling price. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Yes I totally agree seeing the car in the flesh is a must now. I'm not convinced with some of these online auctions as the one I posted further up in the thread had a different colour roof to the rest of the car. Without seeing the car in person you can't tell in the pics. 

I really wouldn't get fixated on mileage at all. Much safer with a car at 140k ish with invoices for suspension, rust/paintwork etc than one sat at just under 100k needing £5k spending on it. Most under the 100k mile mark will attract the optimistic 'classic' price tags, and a surprising number will be dogs when you poke about. If I were you, look on the forums and sale ads for a car that has been used and loved and largely disregard mileage.

On 29/04/2020 at 20:13, Nabz said:

I agree with you 100%. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any reasonable ones on the market, either they are very poor or extremely maintained, hoping to find a reasonable one at a decent price. 

What do you think about the one you posted from collectingcars auction. What do you reckon that will achieve given that its going to be an online auction?

Hi Nabz,

Just catching up on this one - £15K winning bid. The website and those operating it as well as the level of cars that are listed and auctioned do seem to be at the better end of the market. I daresay that closer inspections will reveal 'some' issues and aspects to remedy/fix, but similarly, a lot less of them compared to some similar asking price examples that frankly wouldn't get anyone ringing at half their asking prices!

I'd agree with Jameswb as well, it's the 'condition' of these cars which is the most important aspect to consider when looking to purchase. You've then got to go view various examples as already mentioned and then make a choice/decision once it's determined there's no mismatched roof colours or worn out seats etc etc !

Cheers, Dennis!