sams255

drone/rumble f11 Air filter Housing

sometimes when im at the lights or idling i can hear drone/rumble i opened the bonnet and it appears to come from the intake muffler/Air filter box. When i put my hand on it, it stops making the drone/rumble. i couldnt really see if any clips are broken or grommets missing. Anyone else had this. N57 by the way

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

sometimes when im at the lights or idling i can hear drone/rumble i opened the bonnet and it appears to come from the intake muffler/Air filter box. When i put my hand on it, it stops making the drone/rumble. i couldnt really see if any clips are broken or grommets missing. Anyone else had this. N57 by the way

On mine (F11 530d) it was the Airfilter vibrating. BMW stuck a piece of square rubber under the front right (as looking at the windscreen) of the airfilter where it meets the bottom part of the housing.

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

On mine (F11 530d) it was the Airfilter vibrating. BMW stuck a piece of square rubber under the front right (as looking at the windscreen) of the airfilter where it meets the bottom part of the housing.

its bloody annoying. Cheers Matthew

Edited by sams255

Mine is the same btw. F10 525d 2.0 version. It’s annoying but I hardly use the car and it’s annoying when I’m in it but then I forget all about it once home till next time. I’ll get round to sorting it one day. 

6 hours ago, Gee44 said:

Mine is the same btw. F10 525d 2.0 version. It’s annoying but I hardly use the car and it’s annoying when I’m in it but then I forget all about it once home till next time. I’ll get round to sorting it one day. 

Same on my F11 525, but only in drive. Annoying that I have to get the missus to sit with her foot on the brake while I fiddle under the bonnet.

I notice mine is a little worse in drive and more noticeable. 
is the fix as above using a bit of rubber under the air filter a fix on the 2.0 too? 

2 minutes ago, Gee44 said:

I notice mine is a little worse in drive and more noticeable. 
is the fix as above using a bit of rubber under the air filter a fix on the 2.0 too? 

If yours has the oval pancake airfilter then no reason why it wouldn't be a potential fix.