Sign in to follow this  
mumbojumbo

E34 sunroof not quite sitting flush

Hi guys, 

The rear edge of the saloon sunroof  on the E34 sits about 2mm below the roof. Manually using the allen key mechanism raises it back into line and in the correct position but using the electric mechanism it drops again. What should i be looking for here, is there a way to permanently reset the position?

Thx

Mine used to do the same. Try opening it towards the rear as far as it will go. Then clean the runners and any bits of the mechanism you can get at. I used some silicon polish on the runners. Worked fine after that. Maybe give that a try?

The steel sunroof panel can be adjusted if a little finicky. 

With the roof closed,  the inner sliding trim panel needs to be slid back into the roof cavity and then the securing screws for the outer steel panel will be exposed.

I believe your supposed to use an Allen key or similar, to 'locate' the rear guides in the correct position. Then adjusting the outer panel as required. I didn't actually bother with that procedure but from memory, the panel should be approximately 1mm lower at the front and 1mm higher at the rear than the actual roof skin. 

There are 3 screws per side that need to be loosened to allow the adjustment. I would also suggest a new sunroof panel seal, since your there. There can be a fair amount of water that passes via the roof, through the drains down to the sill exits. A new, fresh seal should limit the amount that passes through, which during an even moderate rain shower, can be considerable.

On 01/04/2020 at 21:52, FIVE-OH said:

The steel sunroof panel can be adjusted if a little finicky. 

With the roof closed,  the inner sliding trim panel needs to be slid back into the roof cavity and then the securing screws for the outer steel panel will be exposed.

I believe your supposed to use an Allen key or similar, to 'locate' the rear guides in the correct position. Then adjusting the outer panel as required. I didn't actually bother with that procedure but from memory, the panel should be approximately 1mm lower at the front and 1mm higher at the rear than the actual roof skin. 

There are 3 screws per side that need to be loosened to allow the adjustment. I would also suggest a new sunroof panel seal, since your there. There can be a fair amount of water that passes via the roof, through the drains down to the sill exits. A new, fresh seal should limit the amount that passes through, which during an even moderate rain shower, can be considerable.

Really useful, thanks. I've now taken the headlining, sunroof headliner and sunroof panel out so i now know about these 3 torx screws. Also looking at the seal, i agree will get some new ones. Thanks for the input!