Y15HAL

Battery top-up

Good Morning All,

I bought a C-TEK charger recently, as i bought a modern classic (non-BMW:ph34r:), so needed one to keep the battery on that charged.....

It got me thinking, that the F10 doesn't get much use - more so after COVID-19.....

Is it a good idea to keep the battery topped up with the charger? If so, how often should i charge it? I don't really have the luxury of leaving it plugged it overnight......

Thanks in advance...

Is it a good idea to keep the battery topped up with the charger? If so, how often should i charge it? I don't really have the luxury of leaving it plugged it overnight......

Thanks in advance...

It is a very good idea to charge the battery with a good battery charger/conditioner such as the CTEK. The AGM batteries can handle far more of a discharge than traditional Lead Acid batteries and with the modern cars and unless they are regularly used for long journeys, the battery is rarely fully. I leave my 640i in the garage, connected to the charger most of its life (don't use the car much).

Weekly or Monthly frequency depending on how much you drive the car will help maintain and condition the battery. Make sure you connect via the terminals under the bonnet not at the battery itself.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Make sure you connect via the terminals under the bonnet not at the battery itself.

Was just gonna ask that. So under the bonnet I think I recall seeing a positive terminal. Is there a dedicated place for the ground under the bonnet too? 

Edited by Skynet5

13 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Was just gonna ask that. So under the bonnet I think I recall seeing a positive terminal. Is there a dedicated place for the ground under the bonnet too? 

RTFM. 

The app manual is quite good actually. 

16 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It is a very good idea to charge the battery with a good battery charger/conditioner such as the CTEK. The AGM batteries can handle far more of a discharge than traditional Lead Acid batteries and with the modern cars and unless they are regularly used for long journeys, the battery is rarely fully. I leave my 640i in the garage, connected to the charger most of its life (don't use the car much).

Weekly or Monthly frequency depending on how much you drive the car will help maintain and condition the battery. Make sure you connect via the terminals under the bonnet not at the battery itself.

Thanks Matthew - very helpful.

When using the CTEK, should i just use normal charging mode?

12 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

RTFM. 

The app manual is quite good actually. 

So you're actually going to make me RTFM?? :D

Edited by Y15HAL

3 minutes ago, Y15HAL said:

Thanks Matthew - very helpful.

When using the CTEK, should i just use normal charging mode?

The CTEK has a specific AGM mode and once set, yes just normal charging.

I do normally 12 miles a day 5 days a week in mine so I charge mine once every couple of months with my Ctek MXS5.0.

I've no issues with my car, all electrical features work as they should inc stop start so I know the battery is healthy.

Under bonnet connections (the jump start positions) used initially to connect mine up.

DSCN3896.jpg

Mains lead from the charger was carefully placed over the bonnet seal away from the bonnet catches and plugged in to an extension lead protected by a thick polythene bag.

DSCN3898.jpg

The above was superceeded by a permanent wired connection via pin 12 on my towbar so I don't need to worry about routing mains leads in and out of my garage and protecting them from the weather.

Mine arrived today 

Says its 40% set it to agm off it went 

20200407-171101.jpg

20200407-171104.jpg

20200407-171110.jpg

20200407-165705.jpg

I bought this 1 

Screenshot-20200406-145727-Amazon-Shoppi

Edited by marko530d

3 hours ago, marko530d said:

Mine arrived today 

Would be interested in how long it took to charge fully and if any good and cheaper than the C-Tek everyone buys.

23 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

Quality. 

Sorry see this was posted on the other thread. Makes me really happy with the 72.28 I spent. 

When he says 

WHAT ... WHAT ... WHAT .... 

:lol:

14 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

@marko530d that charger is a billy bargain for 25 quid and you can't fault the lcd !!!  Might have to buy one and sling my ctek on the ebay. 8 amp too!

Yeah it seems ok for the money there upto 27.99 now on amazon.

It changes amps for whatever the temperature is ... 

How long would you leave your agm battery charging?    How long to fully charge a agm battery. 

Edited by marko530d

IIRC the CTEK can remove sulphur from the battery plates. I might hook mine up to my 5er overnight as it's getting less use than usual. Back in my motoring journo days the CTEK man came over from somewhere in Scandinavia and explained the benefits of a CTEK.  I guess he would have bigged up his own product (and it was a long time ago) but I was convinced at the time. And still am but have not really kept up to date with such things due to being busy with family / work.

Edited by Craig David

Wish i had known about this cheaper charger earlier :(

CTEK is currently charging the battery from my SL, which is in the summer house at the back of the garden.....It's currently fully charged, so will probably just pulse charge as and when needed.......

I'll need to charge the BMW battery, but that will be whilst its in the car, so will just have to charge as much as i can in a day, as i can't leave it charging overnight..... :( 

1 hour ago, Y15HAL said:

so will just have to charge as much as i can in a day, as i can't leave it charging overnight..... :( 

This is why I been holding back from buying one as I don’t have anywhere to leave charging overnight as thought charging at different periods may not be good for the battery.

But will order from Amazon today seeming as been used positively by @marko530d

4 minutes ago, The Situation said:

thought charging at different periods may not be good for the battery.

I wouldn’t worry about that - it’s what the car does anyway in day to day running (and at very much higher amperage sometimes too).

32 minutes ago, The Situation said:

This is why I been holding back from buying one as I don’t have anywhere to leave charging overnight as thought charging at different periods may not be good for the battery.

But will order from Amazon today seeming as been used positively by @marko530d

Yeah am just going to charge mine outside few hours then bring it in will do the fiat 500 and audi a4 too  (word of caution it's made in china) 

If weathers nice this weekend will be left charging all day then move onto next car following day. 

30 minutes ago, Boba said:

I wouldn’t worry about that

1 minute ago, marko530d said:

Yeah am just going to charge mine outside few hours then bring it in will do the fiat 500 and audi a4 too  (word of caution it's made in china)

Well both your recent comments just got me to cross the finishing line - ordered, the price has gone up again this time to £30.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, The Situation said:

time to £30.

Must be selling fast ...

I used a 10 metre cable to get to my vehicle and connected it up.

Mine arrived next day from Amazon. 

It's not a bad little tool to have as my cars sat most of the time anyway only used at weekends. (Well it was) :lol: for the money its spot on. 

Use connection points under bonnet not actual battery.

Edited by marko530d

When my CTEK failed I found customer services were indifferent (to be fair, I'd had it for some time).

I replaced it with  Genius 3500 unit which seems very similar but more robust and with longer leads. Also has a 5 year warranty. 

I think someone on the forum mentioned the innards of most chargers probably come from the same factory in China, so the differences could be just cosmetic. 

I assume it is OK to charge with the battery in the car (connecting directly to battery terminals) (non-BMW)?