d_a_n1979

E31 850i restoration with humour

Not sure if any of you have seen this; but I like his work and he's funny at the same time; he's got great skills too IMO:

Great vids, thoroughly enjoyed watching them. He makes it look easy but that was a lot of work. The money spent on parts wasn't nearly as high as I'd imagined either. All along I assumed this car was a keeper as this is his hobby, so very surprised at the end where it goes off to a new owner.

Keliuss

Thanks for posting.

In my opinion they always have been a stunningly good looking car, and time has not diminished their appeal.

For a while someone was using one for the school run at my sons' school it got far more respect from me than all the new Chelsea Tractors.

If you want to see proper restoration, go onto Youtube and look for 'Pete C'.

He's done three full rebuilds on Mark 3 Cortinas with the current situation halting the present rebuild with the shell at the paint shop. Some very serious restoration skills there. The current one (1971 2 door 2000GXL automatic) was dragged out of a hedge where it had been since 1983 - a battery and some fuel and it started and ran! 

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

He's now gone and got an E60 M5 manual ;)

About 38 years ago between cars, a mate gave me a bronze mk3 Cortina 1600, for £100, was only ment as a stop gap car, but I loved it, by the time I finished with it I put Rostyles, leather steering wheel, and wooden dash on it, it was a great drive for the time, and money. Sometimes the cheapest cars give you the greatest enjoyment.

86 Cavalier mk2 Sri. Bought in the dark and rain for £130 in 95. 

ostensibly for spares for my Astra gte but a tickle with the welder, some filler, a number plate, wheels off the Astra and some scrap yard odds and ends it had an mot. Thrashed it fir 6 months. Never serviced and sold for £450 so free motoring. 

fond memories. 

what is surprising in hindsight is how rough a 10 yr old Vauxhall was!

8 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

Looks like a Mancunian watering hole?

Definatly, and that is not my part of the world