Skynet5

Hand sanitizer gel

Don't drip it on your steering wheel! 

I thought I'd rubbed it all way. Bit left on my wrist dripped on wheel. 

Not too bad, but it looks almost glossy where it dripped. But not to bad. 

Any ideas to fix. 

Don't drip it on your steering wheel! 

I thought I'd rubbed it all way. Bit left on my wrist dripped on wheel. 

Not too bad, but it looks almost glossy where it dripped. But not to bad. 

Any ideas to fix. 

I've been careful of this. I actually thought it would eat the leather, as opposed to making it glossy. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Don’t know if they work in this exact instance but those “miracle sponges” are absolutely perfect for restoring your wheel back to the original slightly textured finish whenever it gets shiny through age. 

9 minutes ago, jannism said:

Don’t know if they work in this exact instance but those “miracle sponges” are absolutely perfect for restoring your wheel back to the original slightly textured finish whenever it gets shiny through age. 

Careful doing this as you are abrading away the top coat on the leather.

All modern leathers are painted and have a clear topcoat....magic sponges clean as they are mild abrasives....dont believe me try rubbing one on a bit of clear perspex or an old CD.

Be careful using them on delicate surfaces.

53 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

I've been careful of this. I actually thought it would eat the leather, as opposed to making it glossy. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It won't have been there for long. But yeah, glossy. I'm hoping overtime the glossiness will just fade.

Very odd. And annoying.

On the flip side I fixed the side panel on the dash where the airbag switch is. It became a little loose since I pulled it off for dashcam wiring. Took me 2 months to realise what was rattling though. 

Edited by Skynet5

21 hours ago, nick_mcuk said:

Careful doing this as you are abrading away the top coat on the leather.

All modern leathers are painted and have a clear topcoat....magic sponges clean as they are mild abrasives....dont believe me try rubbing one on a bit of clear perspex or an old CD.

Be careful using them on delicate surfaces.

Forgive me, that was pretty much my point. When new, it's not exactly suede or nubuck but it's also not  extremely shiny in the way it gets after several years of use.

Using the sponge is not something that you'll need to with anything approaching frequency. Your car will die or just be long-since sold before you find you've irreparably tarnished your steering wheel through gentle rubbing...