Coming up for sale on Collecting Cars soon, interior needs some cosmetics sorting but will be interesting to see what it goes for.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1991-lotus-carlton

Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

I'm out of work and shouldn't look.

Do'h, I looked. 

I had a Carlton 3000 GSI 24 valve for about 9 years, loved it.  That said I don't think there was ever a day when everything worked 100%, but it didn't seem to matter too much (I was younger then).

Hi Anil - put a cheeky bid in.  I may do the same.  I'm starting to think about a 'weekend' car that makes good noises as my current wheels don't.

I recon 40+k for the Carlton?

What would you even do about getting spares for one of those.. surely they only made them numbering into the low hundreds so must be really tricky to keep on the road? 

Spares are/were apparently a big issue a few years ago but since then some remanufacturing and re-engineering  has taken place to ensure the very rare bits can be sourced, but like old Alpina's, trim is a significant issue still. 

The Performance Car write up of a triple test between the Mercedes 500E, the Alpina B10 BiTurbo and the LC is still an interesting and superbly written read.

45 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

The Performance Car write up of a triple test between the Mercedes 500E, the Alpina B10 BiTurbo and the LC is still an interesting and superbly written read.

Are you referring to the “Modern Classics” article, or are there 2 articles?

23 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Are you referring to the “Modern Classics” article, or are there 2 articles?

Performance Car January 1992 -  when they were all new cars.

22 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Is it bad that given that choice I'd go 500E?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not at all - sizeable naturally aspirated is my go-to engine.

10 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Performance Car January 1992 -  when they were all new cars.

So there are 2 then.

December 2019 issue of Modern Classics has an article about the same 3 cars.

I remember these cars well - to me it seems to be sitting rather high. 

No, not me Jay.

I doubt if any other Carlton could be made as quick as the Lotus. I think they were the quickest production 4 door saloon in the world at the time, although when you look at the figures now they don’t look overly impressive, I mean my 2.0ltr Tdi Tiguan is only a second slower to 60mph.

Top speed +283 km/h (176 mph)
Acceleration 0-97 km/h (60 mph): 5.1 seconds 0-160 km/h (100 mph) : 11.1 sec.
Peak power output 382 PS (281 kW; 377 hp) at 5,200 rpm
Peak torque 568 N⋅m (419 lb⋅ft) at 4,200 rpm
Edited by Paddy O'Furniture

9 hours ago, Grand Dragon said:

couldn’t you have a Carlton that could be tuned to the same as a lotus Carlton? Or am I making that up? 

You're making it up - the GSI 24v was pretty quick but the Lotus was a super car slayer in its day.

As Paddy says though amazing how stuff has moved on!

It must have been at least half a dozen years ago now but I remember finding on the bay of dreams a guy selling a very ropey Lotus Carlton with some engine 'issues' (but still running apparently) as well as a Carlton estate that had received a Lotus Carlton engine and transmission transplant as well as other choice bits; both needed loads of work 'to finish' ... or to even get started...

I got cold feet and walked away but not a few months later another Lotus Carlton popped up for sale at about £13k; I ummed and ahhed about it and eventually rang to find out it was sold, paid for and being collected that day. I then saw the car six months later at a local car meet and spoke to the owner - he had already sunk half as much again into it and it still wasn't quite right.

Another bullet dodged.

On 07/04/2020 at 07:51, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I think they were the quickest production 4 door saloon in the world at the time, 

I'm pretty sure you're right, and it remained the fastest production 4 door saloon until the e39 M5 was released.

On 07/04/2020 at 09:55, duncan-uk said:

You're making it up - the GSI 24v was pretty quick but the Lotus was a super car slayer in its day.

As Paddy says though amazing how stuff has moved on!

I had a GSI 24V for about 9 years.  Loved it but it was no Lotus Carlton.  It had 207 bhp I think, 7. something to 60.  Now got a Tesla Model 3 Performance which is, er, staggering in it's performance levels.  I've had it 5 months and the novelty hasn't even slightly worn off.

On 22/03/2020 at 20:23, rincewind said:

I had a Carlton 3000 GSI 24 valve for about 9 years, loved it.  That said I don't think there was ever a day when everything worked 100%, but it didn't seem to matter too much (I was younger then).

Hi Anil - put a cheeky bid in.  I may do the same.  I'm starting to think about a 'weekend' car that makes good noises as my current wheels don't.

I recon 40+k for the Carlton?

My old 24V GSi

IMG_20170714_211825291.jpg