Hi Guys

My coolant light came on today out of the blue, anyways opened the cap and it was pretty low, normally I would have simply went and got a bottle from BMW.

However, with the world as it current is, and with my wife in isolation due to her kidneys .. I didn’t fancy a trip to a busy dealership and as I needed the car I didn’t wanna run it low, so I had half a tub of Ford Coolant which I got for the wife’s car a few months back, so I topped it up to min and planned to order a bottle online, but reading some people warn against mixing ?

is this really a big deal ? Car is due it’s 2nd service in a few months so am sure it will be changed then..

Edited by Jonny2400

7 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

Hi Guys

My coolant light came on today out of the blue, anyways opened the cap and it was pretty low, normally I would have simply went and got a bottle from BMW.

However, with the world as it current is, and with my wife in isolation due to her kidneys .. I didn’t fancy a trip to a busy dealership and as I needed the car I didn’t wanna run it low, so I had half a tub of Ford Coolant which I got for the wife’s car a few months back, so I topped it up to min and planned to order a bottle online, but reading some people warn against mixing ?

is this really a big deal ? Car is due it’s 2nd service in a few months so am sure it will be changed then..

The coolant shouldn’t be mixed and you should get the car in to identify the reason for the low coolant condition. Coolant isn’t serviceable by BMW and they will only change it if work is done that dictates emptying the system. BMW say it is a non-serviceable item and filled for the life of the car. Some do change it though later in the car’s life.

I've recently acquired my E39 530i and about to top up coolant. But aware of advice 'not to mix coolants". Silly question probably, but how do I know what coolant is currently in the system? Also, what are the possible types of coolant - and what is best to use (and what would have been used originally by BMW)? I guess I should know all of this, but as I stand here with the bonnet up, I have to admit I don't. Any thoughts please? 

30 minutes ago, Michael:E39 said:

I've recently acquired my E39 530i and about to top up coolant. But aware of advice 'not to mix coolants". Silly question probably, but how do I know what coolant is currently in the system? Also, what are the possible types of coolant - and what is best to use (and what would have been used originally by BMW)? I guess I should know all of this, but as I stand here with the bonnet up, I have to admit I don't. Any thoughts please? 

This is probably one for the E39 forum. If you've just purchased the E39 who knows what the coolant situation is? You will probably be going over the car with a finetooth comb and for longevity probably a coolant replacement is on the cards? Use the specified coolant for your car and to get an idea use REALOEM.COM/NEWTIS.INFO sites and look at the BMW recommended coolant for your car.

2 hours ago, Michael:E39 said:

As Matthew says, you might find more answers in the E39 section, but for what it’s worth, all E39s should have a cooling system refresh done anyway, so if you don’t know that yours is done, now is the time.
Plus you will know that you have the correct coolant in then.  
The E39 section will have lots of info on the cooling system refresh, which parts to replace etc. 

13 minutes ago, ally said:

The E39 section will have lots of info on the cooling system refresh, which parts to replace etc. 

From my experience with an E39 530i you really need to replace radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, top & bottom hoses, viscous fan coupling and possibly auxiliary fan if it doesn't work

Not cheap but even the later facelift E39s are approaching 20 years old

Don't buy cheap, I bought a few cheap bits and thought I was getting a bargain, only to have to replace again not long after.

In the 100k miles that I owned my E39 (LCI model 525i) I had to change the radiator twice because the bottom tubes distorted (curved severely downwards). Also needed new thermostat (genuine ones have an electric heating element in the base) and new electric fan assembly (genuine ones have the electronic variable speed control, many aftermarket ones don't) and the 'fan' belt. I never changed the expansion tank or the water pump though. 

DSC_0264.thumb.JPG.592fe4c494d428a4689b45d030bdaa70.JPG

Yes, it's quite common but a but difficult to see in situ. A mulch of dead leaves, moths etc tends to build up there too.

On 10/04/2020 at 10:51, nashdm2 said:

Wow, that's very strange. Does that happen a lot to the E39 models?

I can only speak from my own experience but the M54 engines produce a huge amount of heat. 

Thanks Guys for response to my coolant query. I'm now more than ever convinced a refurb of the whole cooling system is the way to go. I'll need to get this done at a local garage workshop, post corona-virus lock-down. I'm inclined to acquire all the parts myself using recommendations for best type / supplier from the Forum, and give these to garage / workshop to fit. Is this the best approach, rather than letting the garage obtain the parts? Cheers.

2 hours ago, Michael:E39 said:

Thanks Guys for response to my coolant query. I'm now more than ever convinced a refurb of the whole cooling system is the way to go. I'll need to get this done at a local garage workshop, post corona-virus lock-down. I'm inclined to acquire all the parts myself using recommendations for best type / supplier from the Forum, and give these to garage / workshop to fit. Is this the best approach, rather than letting the garage obtain the parts? Cheers.

Some garages won't allow you to provide parts and others do so check your garage of choice before going and buying a bunch of spares. 

Whatever you do make sure you buy OEM spec parts. A supplier like C3BMW or someone reputable

Do not buy stuff off ebay as there are so many chinese counterfeit parts about unless you are 100% sure they are legit

2 hours ago, pt530i said:

Whatever you do make sure you buy OEM spec parts. A supplier like C3BMW or someone reputable

Do not buy stuff off ebay as there are so many chinese counterfeit parts about unless you are 100% sure they are legit

Bang on. OE all the way with this type of thing

On 09/04/2020 at 16:31, ally said:

As Matthew says, you might find more answers in the E39 section, but for what it’s worth, all E39s should have a cooling system refresh done anyway, so if you don’t know that yours is done, now is the time.
Plus you will know that you have the correct coolant in then.  

shrugs ... why would I look at the E39 section for G30 530d x drive ? Read up, never mind .. ps I found out Halfords do the correct coolant for the G30 so all sorted ..

Edited by Jonny2400

8 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

shrugs ... why would I look at the E39 section for G30 530d x drive ? Read up, never mind .. ps I found out Halfords do the correct coolant for the G30 so all sorted ..

I think you’ll find that someone sort of hijacked the thread with an e39 question hahaha

8 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

A lot of conversation has happened on this thread since the 20th March when you last posted.

Isn't your car still under warranty? Genuine all the way for me and particularly during the warranty period. 

12 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

shrugs..... I was replying to Michael:E39 who asked a question about his E39, I wasn’t replying to you

Just resurrecting this to give you a heads up, my 2018 car has been checked again for low coolant and the dealer discovered the water pump is leaking and requires replacement.

Keep an eye out and get it checked before the warranty runs out!