Flat Cap

Covid induced diesel engine hibernation

My workplace has asked me to work from home for the next fortnight and I'm due another 3 weeks leave after that.

I only use the car for commuting and was wondering if its healthy to leave  a diesel engine stood still for weeks on end.

Any thoughts please?

Oh, I see. I now only use mine for long runs and if I need the carrying capacity so its not covering many miles.

I'm keeping it for now as its perfect for these tasks and it took me 12 months to track it down! 

Very similar for me, I have had it for over 5 years and its done 17k miles. Its also totally unmarked. I sold it at the weekend to the neighbour and I told him he was buying a 5 year old brand new car. It also had a very high spec as I got it from new.

Time to replace it with a new summer toy, which I am collecting this coming saturday.

Edited by nashdm2

Plenty of cars both petrol and diesel have spent lengthy periods sat in fields waiting for a buyer with no obvious ill effects.

I was away for 5 weeks recently and mine was sat idle. Started up on the button when I got back, no issues at all. In very cold weather battery may get a bit low, other than that I wouldn't worry.

A few years ago I left my own covered in thick snow for six weeks during an icy spell, and like the others have stated started first time with no problems.

Mine is also parked up now for 14 days.  When I can drag myself out of my Coronavirus bed I’ll be sticking mine on to charge with my Ctek charger. I give mine a charge once every few months just to help keep things healthy. 

It will probably be fine but I’ve got the charger so might as well use it. 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Mine is also parked up now for 14 days.  When I can drag myself out of my Coronavirus

So YOU'RE the infected one in Lothian?  How is it btw?  As bad as they're making out, or bareble?  I'm hoping it isn't so bad and I'm still functioning, I've got a VR6 Turbo 4mo to finish.

I'm not doing my regular (fortnightly) 250 mile motorway trip for work due to the virus. And I'm still using the car for short journeys. Hopefully it won't cause any problems.

1 hour ago, Craig David said:

I'm not doing my regular (fortnightly) 250 mile motorway trip for work due to the virus. And I'm still using the car for short journeys. Hopefully it won't cause any problems.

Mate it'll be fine for months doing short journeys with no side effects. They're not fragile creatures that will fall apart from not having decent runs. 

I recently went to rescue a 1998 Honda my son had left on a driveway for 2 years. He hadnt been to it once in all that time. I checked oil, blew tyres up and jump started it. Fired up on 2nd turn of key. Took for MOT next day and flew through. Don't worry it will be fine. Start it once a week and run up to temp, even every 2 weeks.

22 hours ago, revjames said:

I recently went to rescue a 1998 Honda my son had left on a driveway for 2 years. He hadnt been to it once in all that time. I checked oil, blew tyres up and jump started it. Fired up on 2nd turn of key. Took for MOT next day and flew through. Don't worry it will be fine. Start it once a week and run up to temp, even every 2 weeks.

Honda are incredible cars though. 

On 18/03/2020 at 14:49, adam- said:

So YOU'RE the infected one in Lothian?  How is it btw?  As bad as they're making out, or bareble?  I'm hoping it isn't so bad and I'm still functioning, I've got a VR6 Turbo 4mo to finish.

nope I stay at the other/correct end of the M8 and I’ve not been tested, I’m just sucking it up. Day 4 and it’s still grim. Lifting a two litre carton of milk is about my physical strength limit at the moment. 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

nope I stay at the other/correct end of the M8 and I’ve not been tested, I’m just sucking it up. Day 4 and it’s still grim. Lifting a two litre carton of milk is about my physical strength limit at the moment. 

I guess you'll still be on the winters for a few days then! :|

Mind you, it was -3 here this morning so maybe not a problem...

Edited by Boba

14 hours ago, Boba said:

I guess you'll still be on the winters for a few days then! :|

Getting myself up on my two feet to look out the window at my F10 is quite an exertion at the moment :(. So yes no thoughts of changing over yet. Next month hopefully. I think it’s usually early April when I swap them over. 

Cant wait to get fit again, feeling noticeably better Saturday morning. Got a long list of jobs to do on the car too. Sodding typical weather is better but I’m broken. 

Getting myself up on my two feet to look out the window at my F10 is quite an exertion at the moment . So yes no thoughts of changing over yet. Next month hopefully. I think it’s usually early April when I swap them over. 

Cant wait to get fit again, feeling noticeably better Saturday morning. Got a long list of jobs to do on the car too. Sodding typical weather is better but I’m broken. 

Apparently, you have to keep drinking hot fluids so the virus goes into your stomach to be neutralised and doesn't make its way into your lungs. Get well soon.

*that could well be fake news.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk