Flat Cap

Covid induced diesel engine hibernation

10 hours ago, Spreadly said:

Apparently, you have to keep drinking hot fluids so the virus goes into your stomach to be neutralised and doesn't make its way into your lungs. Get well soon.

Sadly in Scotland the beer is drunk cold.

Well I'm out of my Covid 19 induced hibernation. Spent near enough 10 days not moving from my bed and managed two full days now where I didn't need to take an afternoon nap. Daytime TV is crap. 

That was horrible. I've never felt so weak and breathless. 

Car is plugged into its charger just doing it as a maintenance charge. 

On 3/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Mine is also parked up now for 14 days.  When I can drag myself out of my Coronavirus bed I’ll be sticking mine on to charge with my Ctek charger. I give mine a charge once every few months just to help keep things healthy. 

It will probably be fine but I’ve got the charger so might as well use it. 

Which model you got? Thinking I might get one as my car will be dormant for a while now. 

On 3/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Mine is also parked up now for 14 days.  When I can drag myself out of my Coronavirus bed I’ll be sticking mine on to charge with my Ctek charger. I give mine a charge once every few months just to help keep things healthy. 

It will probably be fine but I’ve got the charger so might as well use it. 

Which model you got? Thinking I might get one as my car will be dormant for a while now. 

Wish I still had the solar trickle charger I used to have in my GSi Vectra.....  One week on vacation, then a couple of coughs while on the phone to the company and I'm in isolation for another week! Cough's pretty much vanished now so I'll be back away on mission again probably next week so the F11 will be sat on post for anything up to another 5 months. After the first 2 months it started on the button (luv it!) fingers crossed both batteries survive the next stint.

2 hours ago, marko530d said:

Sounds good.

Where did you get that if you dont mind me asking.

The Bay of E.... from where many useful things cometh. 

Just as an example... something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4-5W-Portable-Power-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger-For-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-Q6T4/223774252522?epid=2072202574&hash=item3419fc1dea:g:WwQAAOSwPCFd4qtA

2 hours ago, marko530d said:

And you had a VECTRA :shock: 

I did.... a 54 plate 3.2 V6 GSi ..... and it went like stink ! :cool:

(and yes, they do quite easily break the 70 limit in 2nd)

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

9 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Get yourself the CTEK MXS5.0. Great little charger.

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Get yourself the CTEK MXS5.0. Great little charger.

Hard to find! A week wait at halfords and a month at amazon! 

I'm actually not worried about my battery one bit, and I can't understand why people would be. Do the odd journey and drive to a supermarket further away to give your car a good run. Problem solved. I feel there is a lot of OCD here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Spreadly said:

I'm actually not worried about my battery one bit, and I can't understand why people would be. Do the odd journey and drive to a supermarket further away to give your car a good run. Problem solved. I feel there is a lot of OCD here. emoji2375.png

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Because short journeys do not charge the battery sufficiently, if at all. For cars left stationery for long periods of time, and although the discharge rate of AGM batteries is much more contained than the old flooded acid batteries, keeping them on charge is no bad thing. Before my recent trips to France the car had sat for nearly 3 months and it was not happy when I got in to start packing, telling me to get in and drive immediately due to charge levels.

As above mine does short journeys normally so I charge mine once every couple of months.

image.jpg

This is what I use, bought from Amazon for around £70 I think, permanently wired in to a waterproofed charging point via pin 12 on my towbar socket. Which reminds me, I've not unplugged it yet, it's still on charge from the weekend.....

I believe this is the same one that BMW would sell you for a lot more £££!