d_a_n1979

Coronavirus/Covid19

We've been wearing a face covering ever since lockdown started. Only in shops mind, but that's where we've been outside of the home or park.  

We wear a mask to reduce the risk of us catching the virus and spreading it on.

On 22/07/2020 at 18:46, nealpina said:

I don’t know how surgeons can wear PPE for several hours. Glad they can though 

Anyway just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12192383/new-covid-mutation-more-infectious-spreading-faster-original-china/amp/

Remind me to do a early stock up of toilet paper 

Unlike a few months ago. I have realised at times it may be  best just to listen instead of having an opinion

Therefore thoughts?

The Sun newspaper isn't exactly the most accurate nor reliable source of information out there....

So, we're now months in to the Pandemic and here's a few figures for you for the UK;

The seven day average daily deaths due to Covid19 has been below 20 since July 21st, and below 125 since June 12th; I choose the figure of 125 daily deaths as a marker as that is the almost constant average daily deaths of people in the UK dues to flu or influenza, pretty much every day of the year.

Source;

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

(The above seems to be a very good site with interactive ways to look at the data)

Weekly deaths, according to the ONS are slightly up on the 5 year average and last year but this is not due to Covid19, and last week 1.37% of deaths had some mention of Covid19 , so just146 of 10,580 deaths last week.

Source;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending14august2020

The lowest seven day average of confirmed infections since the initial large rise was 505.4 on July 7th and, perhaps due to wider and ever increasing testing since then, it has risen and now stands at 1,059.6. The generally accepted incubation date to symptoms and potential serious complications leading to death is 2 to 4 weeks but from July 7th plus 3 weeks, July 29th, the daily average has steadily reduced from 17.4 and not risen once above 20 deaths a day, and the average is now 9.1 .

UK GDP has fallen by a record 20.4% in the last quarter (ONS statistics again) and the UK debt has risen by approximately half a billion pounds since January 2020, on the back of Covid19 spending, to over 2 Trillion pounds, now well £30,000 per person in the entire country.

We will very soon reach a million job losses in the country since the lockdown began.

Thoughts anyone?

I couldn't agree more. Not only will the economic costs and job losses rise to levels never experienced before but the virus itself is by no means finished yet either.  

However, I sincerely believe that we will pull through this sooner rather than later.  I was born just after the 2nd world war, ( someone once informed me that I was known as a war baby cos my mother surrendered)  and grew up with all the hardships that entailed, yet experienced and enjoyed the continual improvement that ensued over the years in housing, employment and personal income.  Nothing that was thrown at us over all those decades kept us down for too long.  The people of the UK have an inherent will to succeed and prosper which will hopefully help bring us out of this current dreadful scenario we are in.  And yes, I will be singing ALL the words at the Last Night Of The Proms!

5 hours ago, sharkfan said:

So, we're now months in to the Pandemic and here's a few figures for you for the UK;

The seven day average daily deaths due to Covid19 has been below 20 since July 21st, and below 125 since June 12th; I choose the figure of 125 daily deaths as a marker as that is the almost constant average daily deaths of people in the UK dues to flu or influenza, pretty much every day of the year.

Source;

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

(The above seems to be a very good site with interactive ways to look at the data)

Weekly deaths, according to the ONS are slightly up on the 5 year average and last year but this is not due to Covid19, and last week 1.37% of deaths had some mention of Covid19 , so just146 of 10,580 deaths last week.

Source;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending14august2020

The lowest seven day average of confirmed infections since the initial large rise was 505.4 on July 7th and, perhaps due to wider and ever increasing testing since then, it has risen and now stands at 1,059.6. The generally accepted incubation date to symptoms and potential serious complications leading to death is 2 to 4 weeks but from July 7th plus 3 weeks, July 29th, the daily average has steadily reduced from 17.4 and not risen once above 20 deaths a day, and the average is now 9.1 .

UK GDP has fallen by a record 20.4% in the last quarter (ONS statistics again) and the UK debt has risen by approximately half a billion pounds since January 2020, on the back of Covid19 spending, to over 2 Trillion pounds, now well £30,000 per person in the entire country.

We will very soon reach a million job losses in the country since the lockdown began.

Thoughts anyone?

If this/the next Government have any sense the debt will be written off like a 'war debt' would be and not passed on through tax rises. 

The hospitality and travel sectors are going to continue to be the hardest hit, as they relied on masses of people and low margin business models to operate. Unless they are going to hike up their prices to make it profitable with a lower footfall they'll be even bigger job losses. We now need the economy to be treated in a recession recovery process, investing cash where it's needed and taking sensible steps to provide people with job security where it makes sense. And not in these Venture capitalist businesses owners that run them in to the ground and take every penny out the business.

The big hit was going to happen in the last quarter being the first full one after Covid has taken effect. The telling ones will be this one and the end of the year. If they flatten out and remain steady it's a good sign, if it continues to fall then it's a very troubling sign. Asia's/China's economy seemed to work a V shaped recovery and they're nigh on back to where they should be. Ours looks to be more of a U-shaped one with a prolonged downward trend, but we'll see if that is the case within the next 6 months. 

I am 'lucky' that the sector i work in is in demand, and whilst we have seen a downturn the future does not look too bleak. 

Yep, £2Tn is approximately £66k per UK worker.

Remember all that crap about the Tories paying down the debt via 10+ years of so called austerity policies post the 2008 Great Financial Crash?
The debt never really went down did it Mr. George (Gideon) Osbourne, thanks:

image.png.fceef355fadf9f40186afe702dc4b631.png

What that graph fails to show is the GDP, which would give more clarity to the situation. The recession that hit in 2008 took 5 years to see some normality restored, and probably a further 5 until things were essentially normally. The Government bailed out a load of large companies to see them through and we also had quantitive easing as well. Which adds another dimension to it all, and does not make it as black and white as that graph makes out. 

Yep, morons. Well if/when we have a vaccine they won’t be taking it so they can take their chances.

I wish I could have taken these idiots onto an intensive care unit at the height of the first wave.
It never ceases to amaze me how people will deny facts and choose to believe total bollocks because they don’t like the truth.  

Early on people were only tested if they were ill enough to be admitted to hospital. There are still many more cases than get reported as most with very mild or no symptoms won’t get tested. 

The more testing you do the more cases you will find if you believe the underlying data that the virus has been much wider spread than the initial infection and death rate figures suggested. The worse case scenarios were built upon those intial infection and death rates so as you discover how widespread the infection has become through increased and more accurate testing the death rate will fall.

At its early peak the global infection to death rate reached 24% IIRC but that is now down to 5% and given the large increase in recent infection rates without the corresponding (even accounting for the 2 to 4 week initial infection to severe symptoms delay) increase in death rates it will continue to fall. Minds greater than mine have estimated the death rate will eventually fall below 0.1%

As of earlier today there are only 739 people in hospitals throughout the whole of the UK being treated for COVID19, with just 60 being declared as serious/critical.

Edited by sharkfan

The other issue you also had in the beginning (and now to some extent) is having a test that was reliable - providing the correct result whether the person as asymptomatic, showing symptoms or already had it.  

On 30/08/2020 at 12:52, sharkfan said:

Graph showing infections and deaths for all of Europe...

7NRPBH74.jpg

Now a graph for just the UK...

Y8ut71uC.png

On 30/08/2020 at 12:52, sharkfan said:

i'm far down the list of getting it . . . . and I am not entirely convinced about having it when offered. 

They need to confirm if it does prevent you spreading it, if you catch it - even if asymptomatic

What is the actual effectiveness of it in society when it opens up and starts to resume normal behaviours. 'Testing' it in a society with banned household visits, isolation, no social calls etc is not a real world test - you need to restart the normalities to view live data. 

Only if it is able to cover those 2 areas will i be satisfied in that the Vaccine is a pathway back to normality and worth getting. 

7 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

i'm far down the list of getting it . . . . and I am not entirely convinced about having it when offered. 

They need to confirm if it does prevent you spreading it, if you catch it - even if asymptomatic

What is the actual effectiveness of it in society when it opens up and starts to resume normal behaviours. 'Testing' it in a society with banned household visits, isolation, no social calls etc is not a real world test - you need to restart the normalities to view live data. 

Only if it is able to cover those 2 areas will i be satisfied in that the Vaccine is a pathway back to normality and worth getting. 

Isn’t that what the clinical trials are there to prove?

When everyone is vaccinated then it doesn’t matter if it prevents transmission or not, the virus can’t take hold and incubate/replicate.

And the alternative is? I’ve seen my livelihood decimated for close to a year now, from a thriving business to no work at all. And I’m just one of millions. Even if this vaccine is only partially effective it needs to be used, we can’t have another year of lockdown. I’m definitely having it, although I’m 30 years too young for the current group.

Edited by Toughguyhuh

They've not yet proved the non transmission side yet - IIRC it is still being tested. 

The vaccine is not a guarantee of you not getting it, or suffering symptoms. It may prevent you getting it and could reduce the severity of its symptoms. Similar to the Flu jab that people get yearly. 

This is why the need for the vaccine to prevent transmission is key - if you have it but can't transmit it, the virus dies with/in the host. This means you could bring 'normal' life back in to society. 

Edited by dj1233

If I was over 70 then I wouldn't think twice about it. The risk of death/damage from virus far outways the risk from the vaccine.

If under 50 and healthy, the decision is harder to make without being able to compare data for a longer time frame for the virus and all the various vaccine alternatives.

Chatting to some nutt jobs on other forums... after 5G transmitters, virus is burned out already (in June), infections increasing due to lockdowns, as do mask wearing... big pharma, big reset, chip injection tracking etc.

...the latest twist seems to be that the increase in deaths is a direct result of the UKs vaccine roll out program. lol, they do crack me up but worryingly there are quite a lot of them.

2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

So has anyone had their vaccine injection yet? Is anyone thinking about declining it?

Do you seriously think we have a choice? Tiered lockdowns and yearly vaccination are the new-norm.

30 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Do you seriously think we have a choice? Tiered lockdowns and yearly vaccination are the new-norm.

Although people will have the choice to opt out I do think most that do will be either forced/pressured into taking it, agree yearly vaccination will be the norm. 

the senior managers/directors at the company I work for have said anyone opting out will not be able to work in the main office nor will they be allowed to attend face to face meeting, effectively shutting them out.. 

2 hours ago, kayser540 said:

the senior managers/directors at the company I work for have said anyone opting out will not be able to work in the main office nor will they be allowed to attend face to face meeting, effectively shutting them out.. 

Without me knowing anything about employment rights in this area, it sounds like a potential legal minefield for employers to pursue this line. 

Keliuss