d_a_n1979

Coronavirus/Covid19

34 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

You  seem to find it amusing that the PM is in ICU Dave when just a few weeks ago you were posting...

No, Kevin I don't think it funny at all that the PM or ANYONE should be in intensive care but this is what herd immunity looks like for a lot of people. Not funny or amusing for anyone, especially if you have a lung condition, as I have.

Edited by greenelekta

41 minutes ago, AnilS said:

No. Different days and different crematoriums.

:-(

Is that because of the new emergency act.  That the local council has more control over the arrangements? or it just happened that way?

Edited by nealpina

I am no scientist but the way I see things, until we have a vaccine then we are limited in what we can do, and one option is herd immunity.

Isn't heard immunity what we use to do before vaccines, and used the antibodies and antigens in a blood transfusion to cure the sick.  This also can lead to a quicker vaccine?

I think they are trying blood transfusion in the US from someone who has recovered, and using their blood in someone who is ill.

Edited by nealpina

Unfortunately herd immunity requires a large percentage of the population to get the virus and recover from it. If 50million people in the country get the virus, about 5% will require intensive care treatment, that is 250,000 people.

Before this crisis we had around 5000 intensive care beds. Most hospitals have managed to triple this capacity at a push with having to use staff that are not intensive care trained. 

If you need ventilation then most patients that survive need about two weeks on a ventilator. Trying to get 250,000 people through 15-20,000 beds is not possible in any reasonable time frame, especially if the infection rate doesn’t slow significantly. 

Please. Stay at home. 

Edited by kobayashi

This is a 'we're all in this together' moment and the facts that the PM and Heir to the throne have got the virus, and that young and old, healthy or with underlying conditions are dying starkly shows that it cannot be avoided so whatever your background or underlying health conditions society as a whole has to try it's best to get as many people through this as is possible.

Personally I don't think any criticism can or should be levelled at those presently in charge as no-one else could prove they could do any better and the law of unintended consequences is sure to bite those in the ass that a different way would have been a better way; by all means ask tough and challenging questions as to the way ahead but like in a war situation, what is done is done and there simply isn't time or energy to divert to answering 'what if?' questions right now while there is pandemic surrounding each and every one of us.

Any kind of gloating like some on the loony left have already voiced about Boris Johnson being in ICU is in just as bad taste as those who revelled when Margaret Thatcher died; remember that Johnson has a partner and unborn child as well as his other children, just as Thatcher was a mother and grandmother to her family.

Stay well people and good luck if you do contract this.

11 minutes ago, ttrw2 said:

This will be an interesting test if the population and those in charge keep going with it; there are three possible solutions;

1. They will have an increased death rate?

2. There will be a lower death rate?

3. There will be little discernable change?

9 hours ago, nealpina said:

Is that because of the new emergency act.  That the local council has more control over the arrangements? or it just happened that way?

They live near different crematoriums so they will go to their local ones. Nothing to do with the council. It's just how it's paned out. Just following the govt guidelines on numbers that can attend.

Edited by AnilS

1 hour ago, sharkfan said:

This will be an interesting test if the population and those in charge keep going with it; there are three possible solutions;

1. They will have an increased death rate?

2. There will be a lower death rate?

3. There will be little discernable change?

It is interesting. More comment on the swedish approach here:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/no-lockdown-please-w-re-swedish

The author of the article is the Director of the European Centre for International Political Economy - i.e. an economist.

"The theory of lockdown...is....untested. It’s not Sweden that’s conducting a mass experiment. It’s everyone else."

I believe Sweden also have testing kits so people self isolate if infected, a much lower population and population density plus have more ICU beds per head of population than many other European countries. 

All this equates to their reasoning for letting the virus go through the population naturally whilst keeping the economy going.

On a lighter note,FAO d_a_n1979 if you use Booths supermarkets round your way i,ve just delivered some fresh mangos into their warehouse on Chain Caul Way along with fresh peas & purple radish into their place at Ribbelton.

Fill ya boots as they say.

18 minutes ago, 740mick said:

On a lighter note,FAO d_a_n1979 if you use Booths supermarkets round your way i,ve just delivered some fresh mangos into their warehouse on Chain Caul Way along with fresh peas & purple radish into their place at Ribbelton.

Fill ya boots as they say.

I've just braved Sainsbury's this morning pal; that was painful.

So many dickheads (mainly women in their 60s and above) that have completely no idea about social distancing, no idea what the other folk around them are trying to do and just stand in the way, browsing and faffing :mad::roll: :lol: 

A few have been told this morning to keep their distance, but completely oblivious! 

Booths is excellent, but so are their prices! Waitrose is expensive enough, but Booths take it to another level haha ;) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

I just feel a bit conscious about my herd immunity comment.  It was based on a few weeks ago before the science changed, and just with an example.

Contains very strong language.  This has a serious message, but also funny.  This police chief of Uganda should be in charge of our policing (edit: not sure how to reduce video size in a post)

Edited by nealpina

On 08/04/2020 at 11:48, Katty_Smith said:

1. First of all, we need to save our life so maintain social distance. 

2. Secondly, obey government rules

3. Safe and stay at home.

I've noticed the Police don't maintain social distancing when patrolling in their car with colleagues who undoubtedly don't live in the same house.

Here, we have close contact with no face masks in use.

Edited by jake13

On 07/04/2020 at 00:28, nealpina said:

Not sure TBH.

Funeral done and a sad day.

Non attendees watched via live stream.

Keep hearing it is yet to peak in the UK. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad :|

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:41, jake13 said:

I've noticed the Police don't maintain social distancing when patrolling in their car with colleagues who undoubtedly don't live in the same house.

Here, we have close contact with no face masks in use.

Fairly sure that first responders are exempt from social distancing.  Will be funny if they were not, and arresting someone:

Police officer to a suspect: “I will use desensitising gel on my equipment, and leave my handcuffs, my taser, pepper spray, and baton on the floor.  So if you attack me, you can use reasonable force against yourself”.

Would be bizarre if fire crews needed to keep to social distancing rules, especially rescuing someone.

The people who built the hospital, it is unclear if any of them were coughing or sneezing.  As my understanding a mask will preventing spreading or receiving the virus from a cough or a sneeze, instead of person or surface contact.  However and happy to be wrong with my previous point, but with the short amount of time of reconstructing the ExCeL into Nightingale Hospital, they are in my opinion, are heroes.

Edited by nealpina

23 hours ago, AnilS said:

Not sure TBH.

Funeral done and a sad day.

Non attendees watched via live stream.

Keep hearing it is yet to peak in the UK. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad :|

By the sounds of it, funeral directors are becoming overworked and may be finding it difficult to give the personal touch to families

Unfortunately you need to go through the family sadness next week.  Thankfully technology  is there to help with no physical presence  

Lets hope the reproductive rate is dropping 

Edited by nealpina

19 hours ago, Grand Dragon said:

My daughters class mate is in alder hey hospital with suspected Covid-19.

Any update?

it made me cry! 

Nothing wrong with crying because it affects all of us in different ways and it’s shows you have a heart.  Never thought I would every say that to you :lol::P

Your daughter needs you to be a strong Dad more than ever now. 

God bless to everyone in this time! 

Agreed

One on my Uncles is a bus driver, and one of his colleagues and friend at the same bus garage, was one of the TFL drivers who sadly died from the virus.

Yesterday my Uncle’s bus was stopped during the clapping (not sure if he was on a break), people went to the kerb and clapped for him personally.  It touched him

Just a general best wishes to everyone on the forum and their loved ones that as many people as possible get through as possible; there will be deaths as it is a deadly respiratory virus but try and remember it is one of many that circle the globe picking off humankind as it sees fit.

I watched the sky documentary from northern Italy earlier and the part that struck home with me was the Italian Doctors correcting of the interviewer when he suggested the virus was like a bad flu; the Doctor corrected him and said, no, it is like pneumonia.

I suffered double pneumonia about 11 years ago and I have to say from my own experience it is a long, long way removed from flu (I was a Paramedic at the time too) so might I humbly suggest while we all sit and wait out whether we've had it, got, or waiting to get it just take as many steps and measures as you can to get yourselves as physically fit as you can so if it does come your way you're in the best shape to take it on; just losing a few pounds in weight, extending your walking, running, cycling, whatever you can manage to get your heart and lungs in shape might increase your odds by the small margins that might be necessary to defeat the virus and its effects on you.

Also, on a different level, value and enjoy the company of those around you; life is finite, no-one (except the Highlander) is immortal and facing the potential of grave circumstances with a significant chance of personal loss is something that our forebears that passed just two or three generations before had to go through and now it seems do we; let's all appreciate what we have perhaps taken for granted for too long and enjoy the moments that affirm life and love so well while we still can.

16 hours ago, nealpina said:

Fairly sure that first responders are exempt from social distancing.  Will be funny if they were not, and arresting someone:

Police officer to a suspect: “I will use desensitising gel on my equipment, and leave my handcuffs, my taser, pepper spray, and baton on the floor.  So if you attack me, you can use reasonable force against yourself”.

Would be bizarre if fire crews needed to keep to social distancing rules, especially rescuing someone.

The people who built the hospital, it is unclear if any of them were coughing or sneezing.  As my understanding a mask will preventing spreading or receiving the virus from a cough or a sneeze, instead of person or surface contact.  However and happy to be wrong with my previous point, but with the short amount of time of reconstructing the ExCeL into Nightingale Hospital, they are in my opinion, are heroes.

A person (inc Police/FR) could be asymptomatic and shed virus without them knowing. Sneezing and coughing is not the only form of viral transmission, talking and heavy breathing also expel virus.  What matters is 'viral load', this is why in South Korea everyone wears a mask. If the initial dose is low, the chance of recovery from infection is much greater.

If we ALL wear masks outside and continue to practice safe hygene, there is NO need to be cooped up like cattle in our homes. Fear, anxiety and the unknown impacts the immune system.

We are taking advice from flawed computer models. The numbers are totally out of sync and unfortunately, the same maverick who got it wrong by long shot during the foot and mouth disease in 2001 is running the show today.

Edited by jake13

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

We are taking advice from flawed computer models. The numbers are totally out of sync and unfortunately, the same maverick who got it wrong by long shot during the foot and mouth disease in 2001 is running the show today.

This bit is certainly true - and similar opposing voices then are questioning his calculations today.

8 hours ago, jake13 said:

A person (inc Police/FR) could be asymptomatic and shed virus without them knowing. Sneezing and coughing is not the only form of viral transmission, talking and heavy breathing also expel virus.  What matters is 'viral load',

I am aware of how this virus is spread. To add to the builders, it is also not clear: if they stayed on-site, had self-isolation at home, all lived together in shared accommodation etc. 

The Police officer at today’s press conference briefly mentioned testing.  How do we know if frontline is not now being tested? My opinion is we need to give all front line and keyworkers our full support, with the caveat of they don’t abuse their authority.

This is why in South Korea everyone wears a mask. 

If we ALL wear masks outside and continue to practice safe hygene, there is NO need to be cooped up like cattle in our homes. Fear, anxiety and the unknown impacts the immune system.

Asian countries for years have been using masks and other PPE with cold/flu symptoms.  We previously have not been this type of country.  Our priority is for PPE for the those that need it, not who want it.  Famous name brands have changed their production lines to supply and cope with the demand - until supply is greater than demand.  Therefore until supply outstrips demand, being at home is the safest option.

Wasn't labour in Government during the first outbreak of foot and mouth.

Anyway  my opinion is: As this is an unprecedented pandemic, I am currently giving the authority certain slack.  When this is over we will then have time to analyse what we got wrong, what we could have got more right, and right.  

Edited by nealpina